Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simplified, three count drawstroke

Simplified, three count drawstroke

I continue to fiddle with my draw, in an effort to make it faster and more consistent. I have simplified the drawstroke to three steps:

1) get an initial complete and perfect grip, where you set wrist angle and tension, and obtain full grip tension.

2) meet the bottom of the trigger guard with your support hand.

3) prep the trigger as you extend the pistol.

Here is a short video, where I explain the steps, and then do some one shot draws to a partial target at ten yards.

Later, I do some draw and three shot drills to an open target at 5 yards, pushing speed, using the exact same three count method. Up close, this is a harder drill for me because I have to fight tension. Here is that drill, with the last run for three shots at .98, going wide open throttle, with a .51 draw. It is harder with a red dot, as I lose the visual reference of the slide.

Name:  A964FD38-F4B7-47D5-9B2C-9365504512C3.jpeg
Views: 1013
Size:  73.5 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've always been pretty impressed by your draw speed. No sarcasm or anything in this question - at .51 draw, how much more speed are you really wanting from your draw?

Also, I have started to find more and more, tension to be an enemy of speed - have you messed around with being/keeping more relaxed after the draw? You typically look like you push forward a lot when you break shots on fast draws. Is that from tension?

Not that you seem to have any problems for my point of view. Again, impressive stuff.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I've always been pretty impressed by your draw speed. No sarcasm or anything in this question - at .51 draw, how much more speed are you really wanting from your draw?

Also, I have started to find more and more, tension to be an enemy of speed - have you messed around with being/keeping more relaxed after the draw? You typically look like you push forward a lot when you break shots on fast draws. Is that from tension?

Not that you seem to have any problems for my point of view. Again, impressive stuff.
    What I want is more consistency and accuracy at my wide open throttle speed. I also have a major opportunity, which I am working on, to improve my splitting after a max speed draw. While I can split a Glock at .15, shooting from my optimal grip and stance, I can not yet do that after a .60 draw.

The pushing forward is obvious on a one shot draw, but that pushing after the shot, and the after part is essential, is recoil control for the following shot. I think relaxing is something that needs to happen between your ears, because you aren’t going to be relaxed and rip a sub one second draw — it is a controlled explosion.

Awesome, thanks for the response.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Wow.

George, you're getting real close to the point where what you do becomes indistinguishable from magic.

Interesting, I am currently on my phone so I will have to review this again later, but one thing I notice is how you splay your fingers and flag your strong hand thumb before you draw the gun. I have not had much success with a scoop draw, but I do find that having tension in my strong hand and flagging my thumb just before the draw really helps too index the gun properly. Also, and I know GJM will probably not agree with this, if I index my trigger finger on the slide as I draw I get a much more consistent and deep contact on the gun with my strong hand. I also find I get better sight alignment and target index on the draw by doing this. My 7 yard draws are slower than GJM’s by about .2, so it is slower for sure.

Good stuff GJM, amazing speed, I will review more thoroughly later.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    This sounds very similar to the three count drawstroke that John McPhee teaches, with the shot breaking at the moment of full extension.
    Polite Professional

Site Supporter
    Incredibly fast dude.

Step 2 is a part I could probably afford to drill a little more.

I second Clobb's experience above, where indexing my trigger finger on the slide gives me better repeatability in my draw, and I also flag my SH thumb and make my hand sort of a gun shape, which I learned from a Gabe White class. Perhaps that helps to set tension on the gun hand?

I'm nowhere near that speed. I'm still working to reduce a lot of excess movement as I've noticed my weak hand does this odd bounce when I'm trying to draw fast and it interferes with that second step.

Being a 1911 shooter I also tend to not prep the trigger.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

TPC talks about setting maximum wrist and grip tension at the point you first grip the pistol. An advantage of that is it allows more consistent prepping of the trigger, when you get to step 3. If you are increasing grip tension as you are also prepping the trigger, it is harder to precisely prep, which can lead to under or over prepping.

I think of the three steps as sequential not consecutive. Start with a perfect grip, then join your support hand, then prep as you extend the pistol.

Simplified, three count drawstroke

Challenge accepted! This is not easy. I agree about focusing on wrist tension because at that speedy of a draw, the grip wasn’t fully locked in. Interesting that it still works.

Shadow 2, iron sights, 3 shots, 5 yds.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-16-2019 at 05:18 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List