Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Simplified, three count drawstroke

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    You'd think with that draw speed you'd have been able to make GM pretty easily
    Not sure if that's a serious statement but GM hit factors are pretty stout now and some are much lower HF than others. I think there aren't a lot of people who can "easily" make GM by shooting classifiers right now. I recently heard on Steve Anderson's podcast that Christian Sailer (won all 8 Area championships and Open Nationals this year) didn't make GM until he got a match bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    GM hit factors are pretty stout now
    I'm aware.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I'm aware.
    I can't tell if you're just poking fun at GJM or if you are implying something about the current state of the classification system. Do you mind elaborating?

Yeah, I’m hanging out at 90%. It’s not easy at all to get that last 5%. Draw speed isn’t going to make the difference by itself, but every little thing helps.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yeah, I’m hanging out at 90%. It’s not easy at all to get that last 5%. Draw speed isn’t going to make the difference by itself, but every little thing helps.
    Disregard classifiers, acquire match victories

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    I can't tell if you're just poking fun at GJM or if you are implying something about the current state of the classification system. Do you mind elaborating?
    He is just being his normal self, and is someone I ignore.

Those of us shooting USPSA know a draw is almost irrelevant, even on classifiers. Where a draw does come in to play is Steel Challenge, since it is a draw and five targets.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Those of us shooting USPSA know a draw is almost irrelevant, even on classifiers.
    Yes. There are a lot of USPSA people who dry fire a lot. They draw and reload well, at the GM level. However, they shoot M classifier score like once a year. Because the shooting part is still at the B-class.
    Last edited by cheby; 12-21-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Most here are missing that GJM’s original post was more about simplifying the draw rather than his raw speed party trick (impressive as it is), though I still intend on giving this a go this weekend!

While draw speed may be mostly irrelevant when it comes to match scores, training at that level is required for GM level performance at a match. Everything has to be sharp. EVERYTHING. And it is not a waste of time to train at this level. I say this as a lowly IPSC Production M, where classification is determined by the best 3 of my last 5 matches, a few of which I actually won....
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Most here are missing that GJM’s original post was more about simplifying the draw rather than his raw speed party trick (impressive as it is), though I still intend on giving this a go this weekend!

While draw speed may be mostly irrelevant when it comes to match scores, training at that level is required for GM level performance at a match. Everything has to be sharp. EVERYTHING. And it is not a waste of time to train at this level. I say this as a lowly IPSC Production M, where classification is determined by the best 3 of my last 5 matches, a few of which I actually won....
    This sounds like the start of a great thread, basing classification on how you place in matches rather than using USPSA’s convoluted system that rewards burst speed over consistency. USPSA classification, for those that know the system, is mostly impressive for convincing non USPSA shooters how good you are, as USPSA shooters focus on match placement.

As I continue to say every few pages, I wish I left the video with the .51 draw out of this thread, as it is irrelevant to the point of the thread, besides being an example that the three step method isn’t going to slow you down.

I wish anyone mentioning their USPSA classification on PF had to contribute 100 bucks to the forum and link their USPSA number so we can look at their match and classifier performance over the last few years. Classification involves skill, luck and ethics, which are not readily apparent from your class. Classification is also a slippery slope since we all know that whatever your classification is, Jetfire is still going to explain how you suck. And suck is fair, because compared to a handful of elite shooters we all suck. The reason we shoot, or at least I do, is because I love the process of shooting, not the outcome. Whenever I start thinking of the outcome, my performance usually suffers anyway.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This sounds like the start of a great thread, basing classification on how you place in matches rather than using USPSA’s convoluted system that rewards burst speed over consistency. USPSA classification, for those that know the system, is mostly impressive for convincing non USPSA shooters how good you are, as USPSA shooters focus on match placement.
    Perhaps you could start the thread, as I can only comment on how IPSC does it. Also, I wasn’t 100% correct above. What IPSC BC does is base your classification off your latest five classifier matches. They remove your highest and lowest scores and then use the average of the middle 3 classifiers. I have much more to say but will wait to see if you start a thread.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

User Tag List