Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Simplified, three count drawstroke

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Perhaps you could start the thread, as I can only comment on how IPSC does it. Also, I wasn’t 100% correct above. What IPSC BC does is base your classification off your latest five classifier matches. They remove your highest and lowest scores and then use the average of the middle 3 classifiers. I have much more to say but will wait to see if you start a thread.
    I am not the right person to start a USPSA classifier thread because I don’t really care about classification. You will never hear me mention my classification in a PF thread, as I consider it mostly chest thumping. My classification info is in my profile so it is not like I am hiding it — I just think it is irrelevant to discussions here.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    This sounds very similar to the three count drawstroke that John McPhee teaches, with the shot breaking at the moment of full extension.
    This is what I was taught 20+ years ago as a rookie running a DA/SA Sig P229 in .40 s&w...passed the SWAT qual with this drawstroke at 96%, losing points because I did a failure drill on a target obviously wearing armor at 7 yards. The two to the body were counted as misses

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 12-21-2019 at 03:42 PM.

I gave GJM’s drill a whirl today (sorry GJM, I didn’t know what else to call it). I never broke the 1 second barrier, it’s very, very tough and my draw speed is just not in the .6ish range to get there.

I used my Gen 2 Glock 17, with Dawson adjustable sights. Trigger weight on this one if a little heavier than I would like for a competition pistol, at about 5lbs. Ammo was AE 124g.

You’ll notice that I clipped the timer to the neck of my shirt as I found that hearing the timer clearly through two sets of hearing protection to be much more effective. I spent 50-60 rounds on this drill, and I think it was worthwhile time spent.

Some things I noticed:

1) This is true index shooting and seeing through the gun at that speed and distance is an acceptable way to confirm POA.
    2) I push shots high left at those speeds. Possible reason for this is that I’m cross eye dominant and I’m breaking shots as the gun is decelerating. Any issues with index for me tend to manifest themselves high left.
    3) It’s possible to index my trigger finger on the slide When drawing and get reasonably fast draw speeds. I feel it’s a much safer way to draw as well.
    4) I’m not willing to change my draw to eek out a .10th faster time.
    5) Best time today was all A’s at 1.09.
    6) Almost stock Gen 2’s are good to go.
    7) I jiggle like a bowl full of jelly in slow-mo.

In the video below, I put in a slow-mo version of my 1.09 run at the end. You can see GJM and I have very different draw methods. I come down onto the gun instead of scooping the pistol up. I think the scoop draw is faster, but I don’t see me changing that any time soon.

I terms of breaking down the draw process, for this drill, I have to agree with Surf above. I train speed draws almost daily, so there is no real thought process other than:

“1) listening for the B in Beep and;
    2) confirming whatever acceptable sight picture necessary to get your hits.”

Interestingly, you can see that my hand is not on the gun until the beep has well ended. So really, not until about .3 into the draw. The rest of this is happening in about .7. I wondered today if I could improve that somehow. After years of working at it, I’m not sure my reaction time can improve, or if it’s even worth the effort to try.

Anyway, it was an interesting and worthwhile expenditure of time and ammo. Please don’t try this at home unless you are 100% sure you know what the heck you are doing.

"Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not the right person to start a USPSA classifier thread because I don’t really care about classification. You will never hear me mention my classification in a PF thread, as I consider it mostly chest thumping. My classification info is in my profile so it is not like I am hiding it — I just think it is irrelevant to discussions here.
    Type Ratings are way cooler than USPSA/IDPA classifiers anyways.😜

User Tag List