Thread: Question about shipping from US to South Africa

Question about shipping from US to South Africa

I understand most of you are not attorneys. I will take advice anyway whether you would or would not ship item to South Africa. I will NOT do so if illegal.

Guy on a forum I belong to lives in SA. He wants me to send him a red dot mount that fits in the dovetail of the rear sight. The item is $80 plus whatever shipping will be. The item IS sold in SA he claims but the price works out to $350 USD.

That's really all the info I have. He asked me last night and I said I'd look into it and get back to him. If you can point me in the direction of the law concerning this in black and white I would appreciate that. Thanks in advance!

You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

You can contact the manufacturer and ask if they ship/sell to South Africa. If so, it is possible for export to South Africa to be legal. But that does not mean YOU shipping the part is legal.

ITAR is complex, and, as federal law, not something you wish to violate, even innocently. I suggest not shipping to South Africa.

Careful!

'Controlled products' may be exported only by a DDTC-registered exporter and require that the registered exporter submit (either) an on-line declaration or an approved export permit, and only a U.S. party can be a DDTC-registered exporter.

Your 'friend' may be unaware of the gravity of his request.

What I'd do, in your particular situation, is take care to protect myself first, by only dealing with a well-known and well-respected registered exporter, such as Brownells. A consciousness registered exporter, such as Brownells, will know the law and will complete the sale (directly to your SA 'friend') only if it can be done in a legal manner, which is very much in your interest.

<https://www.brownells.com/aspx/general/international_sales.aspx>
    Last edited by Wendell; 12-13-2019 at 02:35 PM.

What part is it?

You're welcome to pm me the details and I can look into local availabiliy of the part if you don't want to say here.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Friendly nugget of info if ever you choose to visit SA.......suppressors are an OTC purchase! Those polymer Glock cans are the shiznit.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    What part is it?

You're welcome to pm me the details and I can look into local availabiliy of the part if you don't want to say here.
    It's a red dot mount that fit's into the rear dovetail. It's for a Beretta APX, made by Beretta. I appreciate the help.

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/apx...c-mount/ag-55/

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    You can contact the manufacturer and ask if they ship/sell to South Africa. If so, it is possible for export to South Africa to be legal. But that does not mean YOU shipping the part is legal.

ITAR is complex, and, as federal law, not something you wish to violate, even innocently. I suggest not shipping to South Africa.
    Great idea and sound advice, I agree. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Careful!

'Controlled products' may be exported only by a DDTC-registered exporter and require that the registered exporter submit (either) an on-line declaration or an approved export permit, and only a U.S. party can be a DDTC-registered exporter.

Your 'friend' may be unaware of the gravity of his request.

What I'd do, in your particular situation, is take care to protect myself first, by only dealing with a well-known and well-respected registered exporter, such as Brownells. A consciousness registered exporter, such as Brownells, will know the law and will complete the sale (directly to your SA 'friend') only if it can be done in a legal manner, which is very much in your interest.

<https://www.brownells.com/aspx/general/international_sales.aspx>
    Will do. I'm actually annoyed about the situation. He saw a post I made about the mount and messaged me a number of times before I replied "what's up". I was certain that was what he wanted but being a pro gun guy, I told him I would look into it. I never talked to him or even remember seeing him before. He is not a friend. I will do this for him if legal. No way I will if there is a doubt and right now there is a ton of doubt. If he has done his homework, he may be hoping I won't and is asking me to do something illegal. I have looked around and asked here. I am most likely going to send him a link to this thread and ask him if he'd risk it for a stranger. I mean really, the more I think about it, the more he annoys me and the less likely I am to do this just to save him money if what he has told me is true.

Thanks for your two cents, Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Friendly nugget of info if ever you choose to visit SA.......suppressors are an OTC purchase! Those polymer Glock cans are the shiznit.
    SA is one of many places I would like to visit. I have read a lot about the political situation down there over the last 30 years. I still want to go!

User Tag List