Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SB9A (115) leading issue

SB9A (115) leading issue

Noticed after running a fair amount of this through various HKs, I am getting pretty extreme leading. Bullet is FMJ, but obviously has an exposed lead base. After as little as 200 rds, I am getting visible chuncks of lead deposited in the barrel. Ammo is also extremely dirty and leaves unburnt powder residue behind. Functions fine and accuracy is mostly there. Never experienced this much leading with any other factory FMJ. Perhaps a softer lead alloy is being used? Oddly the SB9B (124) didn't catch my eye with this issue. I recall it being extremely clean. Anyone else experience this?
    Taking a break from social media.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Noticed after running a fair amount of this through various HKs, I am getting pretty extreme leading. Bullet is FMJ, but obviously has an exposed lead base. After as little as 200 rds, I am getting visible chuncks of lead deposited in the barrel. Ammo is also extremely dirty and leaves unburnt powder residue behind. Functions fine and accuracy is mostly there. Never experienced this much leading with any other factory FMJ. Perhaps a softer lead alloy is being used? Oddly the SB9B (124) didn't catch my eye with this issue. I recall it being extremely clean. Anyone else experience this?
    I shoot a decent amount of S&B. That being said, I don't really ever look at my bores or clean them, so I can't comment effectively. Will try to remember to look before and after next time I shoot it.

@CCT125US I am not a fan of SB ammo for this reason. I normally reload but have been shooting a lot of factory ammo this last year S&B for me particularly the 115 gr SKU you mentioned is nasty. I am going to just have to be more cautious and go back to loading or start buying the TMJ Speer. This stuff left tons of slag in a comped G43X.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    @CCT125US the 115 gr SKU you mentioned is nasty........This stuff left tons of slag in a comped G43X.
    Very interesting.

Cue grizzled old man voice...... In all my years shooting, I have never seen such a thing.

I paid $175 for the last case, and have 600 left. Perhaps I'll put it in storage for a rainy day.

In regards to reloading, I could put 10k Berry's plated, loaded over Unique through the gun and not come close to 200 rds of this filth. I am not one to clean a gun very often, but when lead is falling out of the gun, I figure it's due. I guess what has me scratching my head, is why all of sudden is this occurring.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Are the bullets undersize? Got a micrometer you can put on one you pull?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Are the bullets undersize? Got a micrometer you can put on one you pull?
    Pulled one that measured .3545, rotated slightly and got .354

COAL was between 1.151 - 1.159 which speaks to the overall lack of quality, especially for a RN

GDHP 124+P was 1.124 +/- .001 which is solid for a HP.

Gold Dot 124 and XTP both were .355

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My nerdy-sense detects digital calipers, not a micrometer. Correct?

https://www.starrett.com/category/pr...crometers/1101
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I can't say for certain what ammo was the culprit, but reading this makes me realize that's what the issue was with my M9 for a while. I was cleaning it, but continuously had gunk in the rifling until getting a better bore brush.

Gun had probably 6000 rounds through it over six months? Mostly UMC 115, Fiocchi 115, Geco 124, S&B 124 and 115. I probably clean way more often than most, partly because I shoot a fair bit, and it's my carry gun.

No problems since then, pushing 8000 rounds now, with the balance since being mostly Geco 115, some UMC and SB 115.

I've got another case of it to shoot (actually several...), but they're on the back burner for now to all the Federal black pack stuff that just showed up.

@CCT125US, I normally use Unique as well but over RMR’s 124gr GP HP, (base is covered) Unique leaves a bit of soot but no big deal in comparison to the crap S&B leaves. I like anything with no exposed lead bases these days. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one with issues regarding this ammo. I thought it was just me and my crap lick with a crap lot or something.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    My nerdy-sense detects digital calipers, not a micrometer. Correct?
    Correct, and I realize they are sub par. I've had them for about 15 years and just want them to die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    @CCT125US, I normally use Unique as well but over RMR’s 124gr GP HP
    I've been looking at those. Do you get any expansion with those? The Montana Gold I previously used gave no expansion, just complete jacket / core separation.

User Tag List