Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IWB use in LE

Site Supporter

holsters

In almost 40 years I don't think I have EVER seen a plainclothes officer (detective or dignitary protection) carry an IWB holster on duty.

Lots of guys have experimented with IWB or AIWB for carry of off duty guns and some liked it and some did not. I have a Milt Sparks Summer Special rig that I got in 1990 or so that will fit my Sig 230 and the Walther PPK and various small Kahr and Glock pistols and I use it sometimes in the summer. With my build I find OWB to be more comfortable. I also have a variety of shoulder rigs I have accumulated over the years, many made by the original Famous Jackass Leather Company of Chicago (that later became Galco of Phoenix) and one by Mitch Rosen and one by Greg Kramer.

Over the years I have known a few guys who got special permission to wear shoulder rigs concealed in plainclothes. Usually they were older detectives with back problems.

When I first started there was a Detective from the Sheriff's Office who (briefly) used a Jackass Shoulder rig to carry two S&W 59s. (I think he did that because he thought it was neat and he was waging psychological warfare with the Chief Deputy at the time. He didn't do it for long)

Our plain cloths officers are mandated to use a Safariland holster with the ALS retention.

IWB is not authorized.

Going back 20 years or so, I can remember at least two incidents where a plain cloths officer was struggling with a suspect and the officer’s pistol fell out of the cheap suede leather IWB holster, while the fight was still on and before responding officers arrived on scene. Weapon retention is vital in Law Enforcement.

Off duty is a different story.

Off duty, most of the officers ETS I know that actually carry are carrying IWB or AIWB.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 12-13-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Plainclothes agency-- AIWB/IWB is extremely popular.

When I first started in the mid 90s I used IWBs from Sparks for both my Colt Officer's ACP and 70S.

Eventually I went to a G21 and a J Frame which were both better choices for my duties, but off duty I still rolled with the 1911s heavily and IWBs were a big part of that.

For plainclothes roles, it really depended on what the assignment was, as more often than not, I used an OWB. Off duty, it was more dependent upon weather, location, social climate. Pretty even mix of both. Summer see way more IWB. The cooler months see far more OWB.

In any role wearing soft body armor, OWB wins the day. Off duty, AIWB all the way.

I want a duel 1911 Face Off movie Castor Troy set up. I wonder if I had duel red dots if I could hit anything? Don’t matter I’d look cool.

Site Supporter
    At my specification, my former department issued the DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard for the DA/SA SIG 226's and 239's worn by detectives. (I notice that product has been discontinued.) When I was wearing a soft uniform at the academy, I used an issue Safariland thumb break scabbard. When the agency transitioned to the FNS-9, the department ordered the same DeSantis scabbards. I wasn't sure that was necessarily the best choice for a hammerless pistol, but I was considered irrelevant by then. I have no idea what the agency issues for its current Glock 17's, 19's, and the chief's 26.

For most plainclothes work, I think OWB rules because it interfaces more readily with body armor and because most OWB's mount to the belt more securely than most IWB's which usually clip or snap on. I think that adds somewhat to the retention of the holstered weapon. Moreover, OWB's may also allow security devices beyond thumb breaks.

For covert duties or off duty, while security and retention are important, IWB's usually offer easier concealment. Apart from a couple of range holsters, I don't believe I have an OWB for my Glock 19.

I never carried IWB while working as a detective or special agent. I did carry a J frame AIWB off duty.

The only on duty IWB carry I witnessed was by UC narcotics detectives at my PD. Everyone else used OWB holsters. Our issue plainclothes holster in the late '90's was an Aker paddle with thumb break that was adopted when we went to the HK USP. Prior to that, plainclothes holsters were at each officer's discretion. The Aker was issued, but not mandated. I recall IWB holsters that were equipped with a thumb break to meet an LAPD requirement for retention on all holsters. I think Gordon Davis and Bianchi made them.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    To my current LE people: Are you seeing an up tick in the use of IWB holsters for your plainclothes/off duty personnel where authorized ? The reason I ask is that any casual perusal of this forum or other gun related forums would give the impression that 98% of gun carriers are using IWB. I retired a few years ago, but the vast majority of my fellow officers/agents strutting around the office carried their hardware OWB. Is the culture changing in LE ?
    3:00 OWB is the norm for plain-clothes, for reasons including but not limited to...
    ...that kind of holster is provided.
    ...least inconvenient way to carry the mid- to full-size issued/authorized gun, esp for the less gun-oriented people.
    ...most universally understood and most closely compatible with a duty rig.
    ...most compatible with traditional dress.
    ...most compatible with armor/vests that may be donned.
    ...works best for the "badge beside the gun" look.
    ...easiest to "accidentally" reveal.
    ...symbol of office.
    ...nothing wrong with it, and it works.

Seeing about the same amount of 3-6:00 IWB as always.
    Seeing more AIWB with more serious gun toters.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I spent most of my career carrying IWB when off duty. Most of the other troops didn't carry at all off duty, so that was a moot point. The few that did also carried IWB, or an ankle holster on occasion.

At my current job I get to observe all manner of LEOs and their methods of carry. With the feds, (only mentioned specifically because they're the ones typically in plain clothes) the standard method seems to be one of two things: an OWB holster provided by the agency and worn under a super tight polo shirt, or carried detached in a brief case/satchel of some kind, but still in the agency provided OWB holster. One of the older Deputy USM's in the courthouse uses a shoulder holster. With other LEOs I know who carry of duty, it's typically something cheap from the Blackhawk/Fobus/Aliengear realm. LEOs who give serious thought to their carry gear are the exception, regardless of agency. If you're here on P-F you're probably in the minority.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List