Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock & Springfield .40 to 9 Conversion

Site Supporter

Glock & Springfield .40 to 9 Conversion

I didn't find a whole lot on the subject searching, so I'll have to ask the group.

I've got a couple .40's that I've dropped 9mm barrels in, namely an XD40 and gen 3 Glock 22. I haven't shot either much converted, and haven't had any problems per say, other than not ejecting nearly as positively. I'm needing to order some other items, and was going to grab a new recoil spring/guide rod, especially for the Glock, but the ones I'm finding state they're for numerous Glock models, including both 22 and 17.

I'm not as concerned about it with the XD, but still wouldn't mind getting a reduced power spring. The search I did is showing similar results - same spring power for 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig.

Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    I didn't find a whole lot on the subject searching, so I'll have to ask the group.

I've got a couple .40's that I've dropped 9mm barrels in, namely an XD40 and gen 3 Glock 22. I haven't shot either much converted, and haven't had any problems per say, other than not ejecting nearly as positively. I'm needing to order some other items, and was going to grab a new recoil spring/guide rod, especially for the Glock, but the ones I'm finding state they're for numerous Glock models, including both 22 and 17.

I'm not as concerned about it with the XD, but still wouldn't mind getting a reduced power spring. The search I did is showing similar results - same spring power for 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig.

Thanks.
    That is correct. Glock factory recoil springs are specific to frame sizes and some generations, but not by caliber.
    Someone else may be able to advise you on the various aftermarket recoil springs available. I have no experience with aftermarket Glock parts.

Site Supporter
    Well, that more or less answers my question. I might just order a new factory spring to run specifically with the 9mm barrel. Gun is 13 years old or so, but it never had all that many rounds put through it. Having brass barely poop out of the chamber right on top of the slide of the pistol isn't something I care for, especially if it's someone else shooting it.

Change the ejector to 9mm

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004268721

If I remember correctly the founder of this forum said that the Glock 9mm was designed for hot NATO ammo, and was oversprung.

I use a 13 lbs recoil spring in my G17s and G34, as do many of the people I shoot with. The OEM is 17 or 18 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post

If I remember correctly the founder of this forum said that the Glock 9mm was designed for hot NATO ammo, and was oversprung.

I use a 13 lbs recoil spring in my G17s and G34, as do many of the people I shoot with. The OEM is 17 or 18 lbs.

This mirrors my experience. I converted a .40 to 9mm, but I swapped slides instead of a conversion barrel.

I run a 13 lb spring with a steel guide rod in my USPSA Glocks, but factory RSA in a carry gun.

Thanks.
    Are these 9mm barrels specifically "conversion" barrels? Not just 9mm barrels for 9mm pistols.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Are these 9mm barrels specifically "conversion" barrels? Not just 9mm barrels for 9mm pistols.

Yes, XD40 4" to 9mm, Storm Lake type, and G22 to 9mm barrel, Wolf threaded type.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post

Good to know, wish I would have two days ago, just got a spanky new chrono gifted from Santa from Midway. Would have gotten one of those ordered while at it.

Next stupid question - in my internet search, I only saw stock springs, where does one find reduced power recoil spring/guide rods/assembly, especially for gen 3?

Ben Stoeger, Frank Proctor, Taran Butler all sell them on their websites. There's a guy on eBay who sells them with a ISMI spring for $16 delivered. I haven't tried them though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GTG-Stainle...-/302184224950

Good to know, wish I would have two days ago, just got a spanky new chrono gifted from Santa from Midway. Would have gotten one of those ordered while at it.

Next stupid question - in my internet search, I only saw stock springs, where does one find reduced power recoil spring/guide rods/assembly, especially for gen 3?
    MidwayUSA has both the spring and recoil spring guide rod.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004104740?pid=114642

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2381112233?pid=112232

User Tag List