Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-Tech 17-round HK P30/VP9 Mags - prelim review

X-Tech 17-round HK P30/VP9 Mags - prelim review

Found here: https://www.xtechtactical.com/produc...ound-magazine/

These are attempting to be an OEM-copy with slightly longer body and different spring/follower to allow for 17 rounds. Being a capacity whore who still likes the P30, I was all about that. I picked up a couple at discount from AIM on black friday, and they arrived this weekend.

Initial impressions; Body is very similar to the HK mag, although the seam up the back is not quite as cleanly joined/welded, and it is obviously a slight bit longer (they claim 1/10 inch, I didn't get out the calipers to confirm that) and has more witness holes. It has a #20 hole for when they use these bodies for the mags with their extensions. The length increase is hardly noticeable and certainly shouldn't affect concealability the way a +2 extension might. The base plate is not a softer rubber feel like OEM mags, it is a slightly rough texture hard plastic feel (sorta felt like aluminum to the touch) and I question how well it will hold up to drops on gravel or concrete surfaces.

Today I took them to the range over lunch break and loaded them up.
    Good news: they do hold 17 rounds, and there were no hiccups in the quick 100 rounds I ran through it.
    Bad news: top round is so tight that loading a full mag on a closed slide is classified as one of the Twelve Labors of Hercules. In practice, these are going to be 16 round mags.

I'm going to continue to run these two mags only in this gun for a while, and see if they break in at all on that 17th round but I don't think they will. Based on feel, its not the spring force, it's the follower and mag design barely squeezing it in. It bottoms out with just enough space to get the last round in, nosed up.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Found here: https://www.xtechtactical.com/produc...ound-magazine/

These are attempting to be an OEM-copy with slightly longer body and different spring/follower to allow for 17 rounds. Being a capacity whore who still likes the P30, I was all about that. I picked up a couple at discount from AIM on black friday, and they arrived this weekend.

Initial impressions; Body is very similar to the HK mag, although the seam up the back is not quite as cleanly joined/welded, and it is obviously a slight bit longer (they claim 1/10 inch, I didn't get out the calipers to confirm that) and has more witness holes. It has a #20 hole for when they use these bodies for the mags with their extensions. The length increase is hardly noticeable and certainly shouldn't affect concealability the way a +2 extension might. The base plate is not a softer rubber feel like OEM mags, it is a slightly rough texture hard plastic feel (sorta felt like aluminum to the touch) and I question how well it will hold up to drops on gravel or concrete surfaces.

Today I took them to the range over lunch break and loaded them up.
    Good news: they do hold 17 rounds, and there were no hiccups in the quick 100 rounds I ran through it.
    Bad news: top round is so tight that loading a full mag on a closed slide is classified as one of the Twelve Labors of Hercules. In practice, these are going to be 16 round mags.

I'm going to continue to run these two mags only in this gun for a while, and see if they break in at all on that 17th round but I don't think they will. Based on feel, its not the spring force, it's the follower and mag design barely squeezing it in. It bottoms out with just enough space to get the last round in, nosed up.
    Never heard of these, thanks for the information. It is really hard to even think about running non HK mags in HKs’ but if they work then this is a pretty sweet option to have for range days. Having 17 rounds on top would be perfect for the Vp9/P30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the best features about H&K is their magazines. If you remove them from the equation I suspect reliability would be effected. I don't know if the juice would be worth the squeeze. Known for unknown and all that.

The original HK, Beretta, HiPower mags are the best there is. They can keep the 2 rounds and I'll take the reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    One of the best features about H&K is their magazines. If you remove them from the equation I suspect reliability would be effected. I don't know if the juice would be worth the squeeze. Known for unknown and all that.
    THIS !!!!!

I would just carry a factory mag and a factory 20 rounder as a spare.

If they were $10 each like glock pmag I'd buy several for range use only.

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    I would just carry a factory mag and a factory 20 rounder as a spare.
    Where can you find the factory 20 rounder?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Where can you find the factory 20 rounder?
    https://gunmagwarehouse.com/hk-p30-v...-magazine.html

Thank you.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I don’t expect reliability of function will be the deal with these. Long term durability may suffer if the springs are unduly stressed, and I think the tube should have been a hair longer to allow more compression with the last round inserted. If Beretta and everyone else can put 17 rounds in this size box and make a good mag, HK should be able to as well. Mag engineering is important but it’s not some sort of pagan magic. If they were Mec-gars we’d all be excited...

They’re not perfect, but If you could seat them easily on a closed slide and the base plate turns out to be durable, they could be a winner. I’m going to continue run them as a test and see how they do. Obviously they aren’t going to be carry mags.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List