Thread: S&W Serial Numbers

S&W Serial Numbers

When looking at Model 19s, I see that most have a serial number prefix of 1K, 2K, 3K, etc.

Are three letter prefix's always indicative of a special order? Or did they simply switch over the three letter prefixes after a certain point?

And is there a definitive list of SKUs and who ordered them without having to send a $100 check to Jinks?

Thanks for any insight.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Buy the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" by Supica and Nahas. It will set you back about 40 bucks and worth much more. It contains just about everything you would ever want to know about all things S&W. It is the Bible for anyone interested in S&W. Trust me you will enjoy having it.

To answer your question the serial number system was changed to 3 letters and 4 numbers starting in 1980.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

1k, 2k, etc are just where the serial number sequences ended up over time. Some good reference stuff over at:

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xe...e-a-s-w.68254/

No, three-letter prefixes became “standard” in the 80s.

Sorry, I didn’t see Bushy had already answered ( also don’t know how I put standard in quotes[emoji848])

Even the Standard Catalog may not be 100% on SNs and years and will tell you so.

That’s not a slam against SCSW. It’s well worth the price if you’re interested in S&Ws, and certainly cheaper than a letter.

User Tag List