Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Person of the year

Name:  Nagging punks.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  90.7 KB
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Back in the 70’s the climate horseshitters were claiming that a new ice age was coming...what happened to that? I’m supposed to believe that in the space of about 50years we went from a new ice age coming, to the planet overheating?
    I know what happened to that, dude, it’s obvious. The wisdom of crowds, man, the collective spiritual power and raw intuition of the west happened. Clearly, we were on the edge of extinction, but all our peeps/tribe started buying trucks and SUVs for their commutes, along with 2 Starbucks lattes a day in paper cups with plastic lids. CAFE and cafes, to the rescue. By the time the ice age would have wiped out 19/20ths of humanity, we had Hummer H2s and Ford raptors as daily drivers, and all our food (and mobile entertainment/comms/data) came in plastic—the better for our oceans to trap all that desperately needed heat.

Humanity happened, as humanity always does when the chips are down. Humanity, and 707hp Dodge Chargers, and ipads, and man-made elastomer yoga pants, and Amazon delivering a 12-pack of surefire cr123 batteries or a single J.K. Rowling paperback in a 12" x 12" cardboard box packed with inflatable plastic millions of times a year, and Burgundy region escargot and Australian/Japanese wagyu beef overnighted on FedEx planes for dinner.

We saved ourselves, and had a big time doing it, I’d say.

Y’all are welcome.

"Doing our part one latte at a time!"
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I will tolerate no bad mouthing of yoga pants.

Name:  243F9236-367A-4FD0-AE2E-B78986DCE2B9.jpeg
Views: 320
Size:  35.5 KB
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

^^^^

...and this year's Golden Globes award goes to...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    In 1939 and again in 1942, Joseph Stalin was given the Times person of the year award. In 1957 Nikita Khrushchev received it. Other assholes have as well. In a very few years, Greta may have her bare feet on the net. I guess it all depends on how much attention she wants. I know folks who would walk 12 miles to get their name in the paper. Some are big liars and would climb a tree just to tell a lie when they could stay on the ground and tell the truth. I think there is some truth to the idea that burning fossil fuels is bringing about climate change, and if somebody would pay me, I would say so on TV. Then I could take the money and go to a titty bar and look at titties.

As usual these things have derailed slightly.

Let us remember a few things -

1) There is no doubt that climate change is real, both natural and anthropogenic. If you do not believe in the latter, I don't really know what to tell you. There are seven BILLION people on the planet...most of them live in concentrated areas. Smog is real, strip mining is real, acid rain is real and none of these things occurred in the past, neither did nuclear fallout or nuclear spills. Those things all contribute to the changing of climate (which is not just weather). Climate change predictions change daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, because the science is inexact, like science is. And refinement of methodological models, data collection, etc. all contribute to our broader understanding and refinement of our predictions. Most of the doomsday 'predictions' made were not made by scientists, but rather by media and political misrepresentations of scientific studies.

2) You can choose to not have children for any specific reason. Overpopulation is a perfectly fine reason. Another is because you don't want kids. Another is because you hate children. Another is because you don't like people. Calling anyone selfish or saying their reason is bullshit is a bit overzealous, in my opinion. There are ways to leave a legacy behind, besides producing offspring; fostering, adopting, or just plain old mentorship.

I spend my time mentoring young adults, helping them develop into effective, productive, and intelligent old(er) adults. I'm damn good at it. I could have a kid or two at this stage in my life, my sister has two, my S-I-L has two, why not me? Because I don't really like kids, to be honest. They are loud, needy, smelly, and annoying on many levels. To those of you who disagree, that is your experience and opinion, my experience is they are loud, need, smelly, and annoying. So, I don't have children. I do have students, mentees, and people I advise. People have reached the (ostensible) adult stage in their lives. So far, I've had nine of these young people, all of whom are pursuing productive paths in our society and contributing.

3) The main challenge to working cohesively to solve problems is either deliberate or unintentional ignorance on a subject. It's a pedagogical challenge everywhere to find a way to increase scientific and general literacy on all subjects. Politicians are deliberately making people stupid. And if you think your party/candidate isn't contributing they are. I've not yet seen anyone from either party make significant contributions to improving education and educational access in our country. It's lip service at best.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    There are ways to leave a legacy behind, besides producing offspring; fostering, adopting, or just plain old mentorship.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Hers the true “person” of the year!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    "I refuse to bring children into this world because [insert socio-political bullshit]" is one of the worst virtue signaling statements I've ever heard.
    Let's be honest Venn diagram of the "people who say dumb SJW Bullshit" set and "people who I'd prefer don't reproduce away" set is pretty much just a single circle. Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    They are loud, needy, smelly, and annoying on many levels.
    That description doesn't only pertain to young humans.

User Tag List