Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Person of the year

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Not sure about that at all. The climate thing has become a religion. It is impossible to actually have a scientific discussion about it anywhere in America, especially in the scientific community because if you deviate from the party line you will lose the grants, promotion, and ultimately your job regardless of the tenure status.
    Yeah, it's hard to argue against that, given what I've seen. Still, when climate engineering becomes profitable, or strategically necessary, it will happen. Possibly in China or India before the US, but I hope we can lead the way.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Until we stop having so many unnecessary children, we'll inevitably be headed down this path. As a species, we breed at far beyond replacement rate, and our average lifespan is only increasing. We're screwing ourselves over as a species. I'm doing my part - my wife and I have no kids and no plans to have any. How many of you can say the same?
    I can. But I didn't make that decision simply from the perspective of adding to overpopulation.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I’m a climate change skeptic. I don’t adamantly deny it, but I don’t buy into the hype either. That said, I recently visited India for business and it was an eye-opening trip. I’ve seen poverty and pollution in my life, but never to the scale like I witnessed during my trip.

Incidentally, I was traveling with a young Swedish couple. She was a climate change believer for sure. She literally cried when she saw the pollution. The population in India is completely out of control and I learned that it aggravates other issues.

Unfortunately, There is no denying that humans are the most invasive species the world has ever seen. When you compare the situation in extremely populated countries you see that if we don’t get a handle on the exponential population growth it may mean serious problems for the world in the next 100 years. No easy answers here, but I fear that human nature and nature itself have historically had ways of solving the issue (war, famine, and plague for example). Scary stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Joe in PNG; 12-12-2019 at 11:42 PM.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    New president of the EU commission wants to "invest" 1 trillion Euro until 2030 into what she calls "Green Deal":

tagesschau.de/ausland/green-deal-101.html (Google translation)

No joke. If it would be her money, I would say nothing. In defense of my fellow European people: She's not elected democratically.

Don't like this climate campaign. The Swedish girl is only a useful idiot.
    Well, at least the British are timing Brexit to avoid EU dictatorship.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

The answer's really simple.

Have western countries pay money to an UN-elected (ignore that pun - completely unrelated) bureaucracy
    and ignore the larger countries that have the most emissions. That will lead the rest of the world to do something that will do something else that I'm not so sure of - but that will work because SCIENCE! Oh and emotion and lots of media hype too!

The comments about climate change being a religion is a pretty accurate picture. You're expected to just believe it - without question. Apparently normal science rules where data is transparent and open to everyone for peer review doesn't count. But the answer is already there - have the media and universities claim something often enough - and people believe it as fact. Add to that mix victim and villain - and make the target audience the victim to add fear and emotion to their belief. Belief + fear + emotion will almost block any legitimate rebuttal against almost all but the most humble and skeptical person.

Just imagine though - where we'd be now if Hillary had won the last election.
    Last edited by -ad-; 12-13-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Before you panic, or start thinking that there is some urgent need to kill off large swaths of the human population (and there's a lot of that going on up thread), stop and seriously ask yourself if this is truly a danger?

What do you really know about the topic, and who did you learn it from?

Are your sources about the issue trustworthy when it comes to other issues? (don't forget about Gell-Mann Amnesia or Cargo Cult Science).

Is there the possibility of bias in what you read, especially by people who have something to gain? (Money, fame, power)
    Are the results being 'massaged' by the people above?

Are dissenting opinions being allowed, or are they shouted down and suppressed?
    Is there evidence of faulty methodology? Failed predictions? General bad science?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Those folks complaining that HK full size guns are limited to 15 round mags need to just get over it and stop with the protests.

Can somebody please make a Nein,magazine is fine meme? That would be great.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Until we stop having so many unnecessary children, we'll inevitably be headed down this path. As a species, we breed at far beyond replacement rate, and our average lifespan is only increasing. We're screwing ourselves over as a species. I'm doing my part - my wife and I have no kids and no plans to have any. How many of you can say the same?
    Congrats, you're voluntarily culling everything that makes you an intelligent, productive member of society to spare society the burden of a responsible, decently raised child.
    Totally better for you and other productive successful adults to skip all that child-rearing! That'll mean those gov't subsidized feral booger-eaters, popped out by single moms, won't face the unreasonable competition of a well-raised, well-behaved child that's actually in the classroom to do something ghastly, like, actually read at their grade level.

Thanks to the selfless sacrifice of you and your wife, there will be one less intelligent and well behaved kid in the classroom to muck up things like grading curves or actually end up useful in society somewhere. Definitely can't be having that.

Totally noble of you to skip kids on behalf of the feral crotch fruit. Totally.
    /sarcasm.

I assert that any and all self-reliant, responsible, productive, decent human beings owe it to the world to at least replace themselves in the population. If you've got other reasons not to have kids, it is what it is.
    If your career or lifestyle or life goals etc preclude children, or you simply don't want the burden of raising a responsible kid, that's fine too -
    but if you just want to have fun and die, be honest about it, instead of blathering on some smug bullshit about overpopulation.

The problem isn't the number of people, the fucking problem (literally, I suppose) is that the people who contribute the most are reproducing the least. Though some of the finest examples of humanity I've had the honor of meeting were foster kids or adopted, so it's not even a 'fucking' problem.

The children you raise are your legacy to the world and if you think your values, beliefs, morals, etc are worth preserving - what are you doing to instill those values in youth? Nothing? Then you might as well let the booger-eating crotchfruit idiocracy win.

Site Supporter
    If Greta was actively and aggressively pursuing the Chinese and Indians over their pollution, in at least the same proportion as is given to "the West", then a shred of credibility could be granted.

I'm not holding my breath, or even thinking about holding my breath.

User Tag List