Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Smith & Wesson shield to get?

Question Which Smith & Wesson shield to get?

Smith & Wesson has $50 rebate on 9mm shield and 380 EZ so thinking of getting a shield.

Does it matter where I buy the shield for the rebate?
    What store has the best price?

Should I get 1 or 2.0? Price is around $50 more.
    With or without laser? $75 more.
    With or without night sights?

If 1 is good enough, I don't want to spend more.
    thanks

I've got a 1.0 w/thumb safety that I've been happy with, especially in a BUG role.

Recently picked up a 2.0 Performance Center 4" Shield. Not enough time on it to opine.

Shouldn't matter where you buy it for the rebate.

My most carried is a 1.0 Shield. I bought a second 1.0 as a trainer a few months ago because with sale price and gift card, I got it for $199, which was significantly cheaper than the 2.0 and I think the performance difference between 1.0 and 2.0 Shields is much less than the performance between 1.0 and 2.0 full-size and compact M&Ps.

That said, for just a $50 difference, I'd probably go 2.0.

I'd buy regular sights then upgrade if needed. Ameriglo and others these day give you a vivid daytime picture and night sights AND the option to go with something other than three dots.

The really question is safety or no safety. Since I carry it appendix, I went with the safety on both the carry and the trainer. It's small and a lot of people don't like it but I train with it and appreciate the peace of mind.

Site Supporter
    I really prefer the 2.0 , I added an Apex AEK trigger and Heinie sights to mine.

Thanks.
    I'm getting one with safety even if it's for IWB.
    Can always remove safety if not needed.

What about laser? Any real use for it besides in training?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Thanks.
    I'm getting one with safety even if it's for IWB.
    Can always remove safety if not needed.

What about laser? Any real use for it besides in training?
    When it's not grip activated, I'd say slightly less than none.

I ran the original no-safety model for a while before I bought a G43. Great guns and even greater when you crack the piggy bank and get an Apex Trigger kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    When it's not grip activated, I'd say slightly less than none.
    The Crimson Trace Laserguard laser/light combo is pretty nice- it is grip activated, but isn't big and bulky.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Palmetto State Armory has the first gen Shield 9 with safety for $250. So $200 after rebate. The non safety version is $10 more.

I have had a first gen for several years that is in my carry rotation and I have been very happy with it. If I found a 2.0 for $250 after rebate I would probably get it over the 1.0 just to upgrade a bit.

Have a 1.0. Put an Apex D/C trigger in it. Much nicer, but almost too light for a carry gun (for me anyway, and I'm a big fan of Apex triggers). Had the C/T laser on it. Worked fine, but I ultimately decided I could shoot better with a red dot. Now, Shield doesn't get used much, mostly collecting dust, although it's just a personal preference thing. Happier with a P365 with manual safety and red dot.

User Tag List