Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone doing Glock finger groove removal with a stock appearing finish?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Exactly what I’m looking for. Are you doing these commercially? I’m not seeing anything in your profile.
    No, I'm just an incurable tinkerer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Finger Groove Removal

Unload the weapon
    Make sure the weapon is unloaded
    Field strip the weapon
    Using blue or green paint tape, tape off the areas of the grip that you ARE NOT sanding down

Put the frame in a vise between two paperback books

Technique 1
    using strips of increasing grits of sandpaper-50/100/400/800, shoeshine stroke the grooves off going low and slow.

Technique 2
    Using a dremel tool, remove about 50% of the finger grooves first, then use 1 above

Technique 3
    Using a dremel tool, remove about 95% of the finger grooves first, then use 1 above

The dremel will take off material quickly. The dremel can generate enough heat to burn a hole through the frame. Be very careful using the dremel.

FWIW/YMMV Greatly.

PS-if you have any doubt re using the dremel or if you have never used a dremel before on polymer, just use Technique #1.
    You can substitute a large hand held bastard file for the Dremel.

I use sanding blocks for finishing work after dremeling off the nubs to about 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
    No, I'm just an incurable tinkerer
    Tease!

How do you get the decent finish on the altered area? I have a 19.4 that I did some contouring in, and I was never happy with the final finish where I was working. That will probably be my Guinea pig for this project.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Perhaps my recollection is off but I thought I saw some pics / vids on the instagram from a company who removes the grooves with a vertical milling center and lasers new texture that was RTF2'ish. Can't tell you who it was but it looked nice.

When I started in with gen4 19's I wanted to take the grooves down or off altogether. What I did first was just undercut the trigger guard and it really opened up the space I needed for my fat middle finger knuckle. Feels like a much different gun for my medium/chuncky hands.
    Never felt the need to do this on my 17 as the space between the triggerguard and the first bump seems bigger than the 19's.
    I believe that keeping the bumps just adds more surface area and contact, so I've not touched them.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

I did it to a G19 frame some time back and sold that frame.

It was alot of work and I did not like that my finished area did not match the factory finish. I found the images.

I wonder if lower pressure bead blast would have cleaned up my sanding marks.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Doublestack45 View Post
    When I started in with gen4 19's I wanted to take the grooves down or off altogether. What I did first was just undercut the trigger guard and it really opened up the space I needed for my fat middle finger knuckle. Feels like a much different gun for my medium/chuncky hands.
    Never felt the need to do this on my 17 as the space between the triggerguard and the first bump seems bigger than the 19's.
    I believe that keeping the bumps just adds more surface area and contact, so I've not touched them.
    I don't have a gen5 to compare performance but the narrower width between them and the trigger guard on a G19 gives me the worst case of glock knuckle that I don't get with the wider grooves on a G17 or G26. On the G19, they just push or lever that knuckle so far up into the guard that it rubs it raw. Maybe it's just the way I grip the gun that there is some slight twisting or leverage that makes my fingers not exactly parallel to the grooves when I shoot. Either way, I only experience it with the G19. I have average side medium Mechanix glove size hands.

That was a smart way to fix it BTW!

ETA - as I think about it. As evidence on my G19, the finger grooves probably do a good job of keeping your hand high on the gun as they give you more leverage to push up on... So maybe they do serve a purpose if they fit correctly? I'm not losing sleep over it as long as I don't tear up my knuckle.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 12-12-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m finding I really prefer the non finger grooved frontstraps on my Gen5s. Is anyone commercially doing finger groove removal with a front strap finish that is as close to stock as possible? I know getting diamonds is unlikely, but I don’t care for the vast majority of stippling styles I’ve seen. Thanks!

I just did three of them like that. I don't have a picture of them right now, but this is the finish I use where the humps were. I leave the factory texturing in place.

Her is a picture of an undercut with the texturing, and a frame bevel I did on a 4th Gen to match a slide bevel. This is what the area where the finger humps looks like when finished.

I'll get some shots of one of the ones I did this afternoon when I get home from work.

I can also remove the finger humps and just texture the rectangular area in a fine texturing, like this, but only in the front strap area.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 12-13-2019 at 09:13 AM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Was able to get a few quick shots of the finger hump removal and texturing on a 3rd gen.

Gen4's are done the same way.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

User Tag List