Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Couple Newer Federal Loads in Gel

Speaking of Federal defense loads does anyone know of a test in 10% ord gel Not clear gel of the new Syntec defense load in 9mm. I'm curious how it performs particularly on the FBI tests with barriers rather than just bare gel and clothed gel.

My two take aways from this article are:

1) There are increasingly more offerings that meet acceptable ammunition performance standards in all service pistol calibers. I used to really sweat what 9mm ammo I bought, but now I think there are at least a half dozen offerings that would be just fine.

2) If your goal is a cartridge that will penetrate 12" to 18" and expand 1.5x, there's really no point in the 10mm.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    My two take aways from this article are:

1) There are increasingly more offerings that meet acceptable ammunition performance standards in all service pistol calibers. I used to really sweat what 9mm ammo I bought, but now I think there are at least a half dozen offerings that would be just fine.

2) If your goal is a cartridge that will penetrate 12" to 18" and expand 1.5x, there's really no point in the 10mm.
    I like the 10mm HST for when I’m carrying a 10mm in the backcountry and go into town.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I am continually impressed with what Federal does with their ammunition. Interesting tests and that is some seriously consistent expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    True, but if one is interested in getting through hard stuff and then still get that level of penetration and expansion, then the 10mm is still interesting.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I like the 10mm HST for when I’m carrying a 10mm in the backcountry and go into town.
    Yes. There's certainly room for a "town" load for folks who carry a the 10mm as a "woods gun." I just don't get people who carry it as a primary EDC gun in an urban/suburban setting.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Maybe I missed it, but what does the Hydra-Shok Deep do that HST doesn't do?

Other than have the center "post" that may or may not actually do anything positive.
    Last edited by perlslacker; 12-12-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but what does the Hydra-Shok Deep do that HST doesn't do?

Other than have the center "post" that may or may not actually do anything positive.
    From a short barrel 9mm, it seems to trade a little maximum expansion for reliable 16-20" penetration

From TFBtv's youtube tests using 3.1" barrel, clear gel

9mm 135gr Hydra-shock deep

Bare gel data:
    Penetration: 19.5", 19.2"
    Retained weight: 135.3gr, 135.4gr
    Max expansion: 0.540", 0.545"
    Min expansion: 0.439", 0.419"

Heavy clothing data:
    Penetration: 17.6", 16.9"
    Retained weight: 135.6gr, 135.2gr
    Max expansion: 0.562", 0.539"
    Min expansion: 0.418", 0.419"

9mm HST 124 +P

Bare gel
    Penetration: 14.9", 16.0"
    Retained weight: 122.9gr, 123.9gr
    Max expansion: 0.638", 0.663"
    Min expansion: 0.414", 0.405"

Heavy clothing
    Penetration: 19.1", 19.4"
    Retained weight:123.8gr, 123.5gr
    Max expansion: 0.635", 0.675"
    Min expansion: 0.393", 0.386"

9mm 147gr HST:

Bare gel:
    Penetration: 18.1", 15.6"
    Retained weight: 147.2gr, 147.6gr
    Max expansion: 0.686", 0.722"
    Min expansion: 0.382", 0.384"

Heavy clothing:
    Penetration: 14.8"
    Retained weight: 147.5
    Max expansion: 0.459"
    Min expansion: N/A

9mm 150gr HST:

Bare gel:
    Penetration: 16.7"
    Retained weight: 148.9gr
    Max expansion: 0.681"
    Min expansion: 0.384"

Heavy clothing:
    Penetration: 32+
    Retained weight: ?
    Max expansion: N/A
    Min expansion: N/A

I tried a box of Hydrashock Deep when it first came out. I was impressed by its low recoil and accuracy. I was looking for a standard pressure round intended for my 1911 with 4.25 inch barrel. I found the bullet to have the same point of impact as my Lawman 147 grain practice ammo.
    Real guns have hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    If you choose a 135 gr carry round, what would you shoot as a training round that MIGHT shoot to the same POI?

124's close enough???
    Hornady makes a 135 grain training load, 90238 with a FMJFP. Supposed to duplicate their Critical Duty load. It shoots well, but it is hard to find and not particularly cheap
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List