Thread: Lehigh Developing .22LR Bullets

I think these projectiles are of dubious utility in standard pistol cartridges but I can see the advantage of these in a 22!....if they perform as they should.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    .22LR is a small box to think inside.

The quote is poorly constructed. My best guess is it means the projectiles are 28 grains. That is lighter than a Stinger. But the long body and hardness of the copper will likely cause more drag in the barrel, as well as reducing powder space in the loaded case, so it's unlikely to achieve the same velocity.

The utility of current LD bullets as I understand it is predicated on giving service caliber handgun rounds the penetration to get where they need to go on large, difficult to penetrate critters, rather than the temporary cavity effects that look impressive in slow-mo video of clear gel tests. It's hard for me to see something similar being accomplished with a .22LR energy level and 28 grains.

I doubt it will ever be a more viable defensive round than current .22LR options (Velocitor, Stinger, RN), but it may be an option for head shots on small game in lead-free hunting zones. However, there are already lead-free varmint bullets loaded in .17 HMR, probably .22WMR, as loaded .223, and as components that can be loaded in any .224-diameter CF round.

I hope they don't prioritize this over any work that needs to be done with the new SSK Contender frame.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 12-12-2019 at 01:47 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List