Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It doesn't get any better than this!

It doesn't get any better than this!

Words of wisdom from Mike Pannone.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B559YiS..._web_copy_link

Apropos of mindset, I just finished reading Hampton Sides' book on the Chosin Reservoir battle of the Korean War..."On Desperate Ground"

The instances of bravery illustrated in the book simply boggle the mind. Men fighting in extreme cold, against all odds and despite devastating wounds who not only survived but accomplished feats of engineering and improvisation under the most dire of conditions.

To say that I sat both humbled and reverent is inadequate. These were mostly ordinary men in extraordinary circumstances who refused to give up.

Read it. You won't be sorry you did.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Apropos of mindset, I just finished reading Hampton Sides' book on the Chosin Reservoir battle of the Korean War..."On Desperate Ground"

The instances of bravery illustrated in the book simply boggle the mind. Men fighting in extreme cold, against all odds and despite devastating wounds who not only survived but accomplished feats of engineering and improvisation under the most dire of conditions.

To say that I sat both humbled and reverent is inadequate. These were mostly ordinary men in extraordinary circumstances who refused to give up.

I just bought it, thank you.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I just bought it, thank you.
    LL, as a former Marine, I'm sure both your heart and chest will swell with pride.

Site Supporter
    I love the sentiment expressed by Mr. Pannone in that video.

And I thought the Essential Pistol Skills class run by @jlw was pretty intense as far as one-handed drawing, shooting, reloads, and malfunction clearing. (well, to be fair it was a damn good class).

On my list. Thanks.

I have read “The Last Stand of Fox Company” , https://www.amazon.com/Last-Stand-Fo.../dp/0802144519
    which was a small unit action in the Chosin battle. Excellent.
    Last edited by peterb; 12-11-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    On my list. Thanks.

I have read “The Last Stand of Fox Company” , https://www.amazon.com/Last-Stand-Fo.../dp/0802144519
    which was a small unit action in the Chosin battle. Excellent.
    Fox Company's brutal encounter with the Chinese forces is detailed in the book...especially the actions of MOH winner Hector Cafferata Jr. and his close friend, Silver Star winner Kenneth Benson. There were many other heroes from Fox Company covered as well.

The late Hector Cafferata, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I love the sentiment expressed by Mr. Pannone in that video.

And I thought the Essential Pistol Skills class run by @jlw was pretty intense as far as one-handed drawing, shooting, reloads, and malfunction clearing. (well, to be fair it was a damn good class).
    Thank you for the kind words, and as luck would have, there are a few spots open in the next rendition of Critical Pistol Skills on 2/29 in Murfreesboro (east of Nashville) TN.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I just read Colder Than Hell last month and found it pretty good as well. I am not as well read on Korea and found it very interesting. I'll have to checkout Desperate Ground as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Colder-Than-H...6147047&sr=8-1

The link for those interested.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

I’m really enjoying it, it is like a more readable version of The Coldest Winter, except even harder on General Almond (and rightly so).
    #RESIST

User Tag List