Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W shield ez in 9mm released

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    It’s hammer fired....
    Even better.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'll spitball one solution -

Heavier slide.

A heavier slide, and weaker recoil spring will accomplish the same function as a lighter slide and heavier recoil spring assembly.
    Right, but unless we're talking a Hi-Point level of heaviness, it's not going to have that effect.

There's no way the slide is as heavy as even a P226, and even a P226 needs a regular power recoil spring to operate well.

ETA: And, even if that were the case, a 9mm recoiling with a super heavy slide on a super light spring would be the opposite of "shootable" for the weak and infirm.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-11-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

https://youtu.be/iDsJu0NZOtQ

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    I think the EZ has the best feeling thumb safety of the M&P line. My 380 shoots low and replacing the sights is problematic. It looks like the 9 has dovetails front and back but I hope they are common dimensions with Shield/M&P or whatever. I'm interested.
    I would love to see that thumb safety on the standard shield.

Site Supporter
    This is eons more exciting than Glock’s announcement.

@RevolverRob is spot on about this being a great appendix option. I’m that odd guy who would like a quality thumb safety and grip safety on a regular M&P. It would be fantastic for appendix and off body carry.

My EZ shield in .380 did not work well but I have more faith in the 9mm. Only a Ruger LCP has been reliable in .380 for me.

Will it take Glock mags?
    Will it take an RDS?

This new model is...intriguing.
    Last edited by awp_101; 12-11-2019 at 04:15 PM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

A heavier slide, and weaker recoil spring will accomplish the same function as a lighter slide and heavier recoil spring assembly.
    True. In addition, a striker-fired gun needs to cock the striker at the forward motion, while hammer-fired gun cocks the hammer at the rearward motion. This means that even with the same mass of the slide, the recoil spring of a hammer-fired gun can be lighter.

Also, I think that the secret sauce of racking of the 9EZ is actually "wings" at the rear of the slide. They are not evident in photographs taken from the side, but they certainly work. IIRC, HK had those on something like P30 first, but I may not remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    My EZ shield in .380 did not work well but I have more faith in the 9mm. Only a Ruger LCP has been reliable in .380 for me.
    What was the issue with your Shield EZ?

Did you try the similarly sized LC380, or just the LCP?

I bought a P250 380 for my wife. It's the one with a subcompact slide mounted on a compact frame, with 15 round mags. The recoil is super light, and the slide is crazy easy to rack. We haven't run into reliability issues with it yet*, but that slide sure is sluggish and riding on what feels like the ragged edge of functionality.

*In true SIG form, the gun was assembled improperly with the firing pin canted, which resulted in light strikes as it was hitting the rollpin. No issue since I reinstalled it correctly.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-11-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Actually, my first thought was, "Hey look, someone finally made a striker-fired 9mm 1911!"
    I would put it more as the plastic version of the 9mm Pocket Hammerless I kind of wish Colt would make.

A MOS version would be pretty sweet- I'm actually excited about this one.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List