Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: S&W shield ez in 9mm released

Bought one and I am underwhelmed. Heavy for what it is. Easy to load, rack and shoot, accurate and reliable. Do not like grip safety, as I actually had to adjust my grip when trying some draws, so dealbreaker right there. It is same size height and length as a 3.6 compact my dealer had for comparison, not as thick as the compact, but thicker than the shield. Should have been shield width with shield style smaller safety and no grip safety.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Bought one and I am underwhelmed. Heavy for what it is. Easy to load, rack and shoot, accurate and reliable. Do not like grip safety, as I actually had to adjust my grip when trying some draws, so dealbreaker right there. It is same size height and length as a 3.6 compact my dealer had for comparison, not as thick as the compact, but thicker than the shield. Should have been shield width with shield style smaller safety and no grip safety.

Did you have a difficult time engaging the grip safety?

Then it's just a Shield.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Without field stripping the EZ, I will guess that the engineers increased dwell time. By extending the time that the barrel and slide remain together before unlocking and by allowing this unit of barrel and slide to move farther rearward as one, slide velocity is slowed down. Then variable power recoil springs would permit retracting the slide to be easier at the beginning of this trip.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Without field stripping the EZ, I will guess that the engineers increased dwell time. By extending the time that the barrel and slide remain together before unlocking and by allowing this unit of barrel and slide to move farther rearward as one, slide velocity is slowed down. Then variable power recoil springs would permit retracting the slide to be easier at the beginning of this trip.
    Does this help? I’m not sure what the different shape barrel lug accomplishes from an engineering/dwell time point of view. @Tom_Jones any ideas?

The 9mm is on top, 380 on the bottom.

Name:  56A8316E-AB46-4367-9FBD-44CB75ACC91C.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  89.4 KBName:  C6AC3175-BAF5-49D1-A8C6-06C60D40EDC8.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  83.2 KBName:  4BB2EF47-01E1-43AD-B8BA-9960F44EBC6E.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  44.6 KBName:  139BCD5F-4BD5-4FDA-8812-032089ACF942.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  86.1 KBName:  0104B1C1-B210-4487-B764-0EA828801FFE.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  79.2 KBName:  160D1AE7-F174-4C78-A983-871C120A7873.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  46.0 KBName:  A05067FB-7EA4-4011-AB8E-DB5DEDC410CA.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  75.6 KB
    Last edited by KG; 12-27-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    Bar Sto Precision's the late Irv Stone showed Ruger how to redesign the barrel lug on Ruger's first 9mm offering in order to increase dwell time. Ruger was not satisfied with the pistol's accuracy. Let me jump up and confess that I am repeating an event that I read about. I think that lug shape is a variable for dwell time.

Off the top of my head, l say let's ask MAS's opinion. He followed the development of the first Ruger 9mm. He knew Irv Stone. He is cognizant of design. Hopefully he will appear as does Batman when you need him.

Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    I own both a 380 and a 9mm EZ. Both have thumb safeties.

I bought the 380 EZ when they were first released. I have a family member with arthritis. The 380 EZ has been perfect for her. All of the friends/family we have brought to the range enjoy shooting this pistol better than any other firearm we own. I have about 1500 rounds through it - 100% reliable with a wide variety of FMJ and HP. 95 grain Speer TMJ #53608 easily shoots the best. Chris Baker from Lucky Gunner also said that the 95 grain Speer worked well in his 380. I recommend watching his video if you are interested in this pistol. The thumb safety is easy to use. My only complaint is that it shoots just a bit low with the factory sights. Looking forward to more aftermarket support.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/s...eld-ez-review/

I bought a 9mm EZ as soon as they were released. I have about 200 rounds of various 115, 124, and 147 grain through mine with no problems. Accuracy was about the same as the 380. Shoots just a bit low. 9mm makes ammo a lot less complicated and less expensive for me, but I think you lose a lot if the “EZ” part is important to you. The 9mm is, of course, a bit heavier, a bit harder to manipulate, and a bit snappier in recoil.

Here’s my opinion - in my circumstances the ease of using the 380 is more important than convenience, cost, and ammo choices available when using 9mm. My interest in the EZ series is purely because I was looking for a pistol that is easy for someone with physical limitations to shoot. It has also turned out to be a fantastic pistol for new or younger shooters. So, for me, the 380 EZ hits a sweet spot and meets my needs than the 9mm EZ. Which caliber all depends on your priorities.
    This is a very useful bit of data for me personally. Thank you for posting it.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    The shield should be offered with the safety from the shield EZ. The nub that passes for a manual safety on the standard Shield is useless.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Bar Sto Precision's the late Irv Stone showed Ruger how to redesign the barrel lug on Ruger's first 9mm offering in order to increase dwell time. Ruger was not satisfied with the pistol's accuracy. Let me jump up and confess that I am repeating an event that I read about. I think that lug shape is a variable for dwell time.

Off the top of my head, l say let's ask MAS's opinion. He followed the development of the first Ruger 9mm. He knew Irv Stone. He is cognizant of design. Hopefully he will appear as does Batman when you need him.
    If you want Batman you need to send up the bat signal. @Mas

A couple of you guys have damn good memories.

When the Ruger P85 came out, I got a couple of the first ones. Reliability was first rate but accuracy was mediocre and the safety/decock lever was too small to be easily operated.

I brought the test gun to one of the great gunsmiths, Nolan Santy in Bow, NH. He created a much more ergonomic safety/decock lever. I then sent the gun to Irv Stone for a Bar-Sto barrel. Irv told me he liked the results so much he bought a P85 of his own and built a barrel for it, too.

I was friends with Bill Ruger, Sr. and lived within an hour of his NH factory and home. I took the gun over there and left it with him for a while. He contacted Irv Stone, and later told me that Irv's advice had greatly improved the accuracy of subsequent pistols. He also put a more ergonomic safety/decock lever on his subsequent TDA models, the P89, P90, etc.

As to the matter of the lug shape's effect on dwell time, I can't answer that. It's not something I recall coming up in discussion with either Bill or Irv. Sorry I couldn't be more help on this.

User Tag List