Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W shield ez in 9mm released

S&W shield ez in 9mm released

https://www.smith-wesson.com/9ez
    On the heals of glocks release of a .22 Smith and Wesson comes out with a 9mm shield ez. With no fanfare or live event. Should be a interesting gun.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Site Supporter
    Oh wow, my beat up hands are looking forward to trying that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I think the EZ has the best feeling thumb safety of the M&P line. My 380 shoots low and replacing the sights is problematic. It looks like the 9 has dovetails front and back but I hope they are common dimensions with Shield/M&P or whatever. I'm interested.
    Adam

I'm subscribing to this thread, too.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

The sights are apparently different size than the .380 version but sights are available for the .380 so I would assume the same sights will be available for the 9mm. Mr guns and gear has a review on YouTube. It’s looks pretty good I can see a spot in my safe for this.

Site Supporter
    Happy to see this line expanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

The reason the 380 Shield is "EZ" is because it's a locked breech pistol, which is 380 means the recoil is incredibly soft and the recoil spring is insanely weak because the only thing it needs to do is return the slide to battery, unlike a blowback 380 and locked breech 9mm which depend on the recoil spring to keep the gun from battering itself to death and/or keep the action closed until pressure has dropped.

So, I'm curious how the Shield EZ can be "EZ" in 9mm. Wouldn't it require a regular power recoil spring, as well as recoil like every other 9mm....both of which negate the entire EZ thing?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Will it take Glock mags?

Actually, my first thought was, "Hey look, someone finally made a striker-fired 9mm 1911!"

I hope it's more reliable than the .380 guns, which seem to be hit and miss. This could be a real winner for the strength challenged and appendix carriers. A manual safety and a grip safety. When I got to holster a 1911 appendix right now, I not only ride the thumb safety, but I break (loosen) my grip to release the grip safety. I won't buy one tomorrow, but I'm going to watch this one with some intrigue, certainly more interesting than a rimfire Glock.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 12-11-2019 at 01:22 PM.

It’s hammer fired....

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The reason the 380 Shield is "EZ" is because it's a locked breech pistol, which is 380 means the recoil is incredibly soft and the recoil spring is insanely weak because the only thing it needs to do is return the slide to battery, unlike a blowback 380 and locked breech 9mm which depend on the recoil spring to keep the gun from battering itself to death and/or keep the action closed until pressure has dropped.

So, I'm curious how the Shield EZ can be "EZ" in 9mm. Wouldn't it require a regular power recoil spring, as well as recoil like every other 9mm....both of which negate the entire EZ thing?
    I'll spitball one solution -

Heavier slide.

A heavier slide, and weaker recoil spring will accomplish the same function as a lighter slide and heavier recoil spring assembly.

ETA: Since the gun is hammer fired, a heavier mainspring and/or interface of the slide and breech area can slow recoil down, not unlike a flat bottom firing pin stop on a 1911.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 12-11-2019 at 01:31 PM.

User Tag List