Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread for VA members to discuss anti-AWB strategy and tactics

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post

For example, when dealing with people who don't get us, I often explain how firearms are part of my core identity. I ask them to imagine how they would feel if someone tried to punish them, and even imprison them, for something that was a central part of their belief structure.

While factual arguments aren't likely to be super effective with most politicians in completely safe seats, the factual argument for banning semi-automatic rifles is so weak that it's possible you may make some headway. Many of those facts are summarized in this Fact Sheet: https://www.nraila.org/get-the-facts...rge-magazines/ If you do use our factsheets for an in-person meeting, I'd recommend transcribing notes on just 3-4 points that you want to make. That's generally how I always prep people for testimony, and the info is more likely to be discounted if your anti-gun delegate or senator sees our branding.
    I wish I could like this post twice.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Then enough pressure must be brought to force them to resign..
    The blackface yearbook picture wasnt enough to force him out so I doubt any amount of pressure will. The sad part is even though he is single term limited the Lt Gov and AG are both equally enthusiastic gun grabbers and one of the 2 will likely be the next governor, unless the VA gun owner decides to go vote on election day.

In addition to your representatives, sit down with your Sheriff, and your Commonwealth's Attorney. If only to determine where they stand.

Chances are, unless you're in NOVA, they are supporters of the 2A.

Additionally, you may find issues and concerns that your city council has, and those can be used to craft messaging, be in in letters, emails, or presentations to city councils.

Also food for thought: I fully suspect that if / when restriction laws pass, we will see an uptick in people at public ranges who have zero interest in shooting, but much interest in looking at what everyone brought to shoot.

Site Supporter
    Our Richmond event is confirmed for the 13th. https://www.nraila.org/articles/2019...s-january-13th

This is the first day that bills will likely be voted out of committee. We're still hearing that leadership's goal is to have this effectively done in the first full week of session. Please attend if you can.

I don't think it will be much of an incentive for those here, but Magpul has graciously donated 1000 Pmags to help reward attendance. The first 1000 people to arrive and signup to volunteer will receive a free Pmag. We'll also have a new 2A activist shirt to make it obvious that the red shirt wearing Moms don't represent a majority of the Commonwealth.

Site Supporter
    If you find yourself in Richmond, this app is very useful in connecting, or helping others to connect, with the appropriate members of the General Assembly. http://www.verizononthego.com

It isn't updated yet, but it's a very useful tool.

Site Supporter
    Gun bills are on the agenda for the first Senate Courts of Justice meeting next Monday. https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...1+doc+S0310113

Please attend if you can.

I do not know if I will be able to attend Monday due to these earthquakes In the PR.

Keep an eye on your delegates. My newish delegate, Hala Ayala, has a survey up (http://survey.house.virginia.gov/Survey.aspx?). Others might as well. Flood ‘em if you can.

Site Supporter
    I checked out her survey. It only allows you to support gun control. I googled her and found this-
    -Name:  B5AC2293-0D11-466F-BF9D-D65A6A77E764.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  21.0 KB
    I don’t think anything will change her mind. Even if she gets voted out her backers will find her another job.
    Last edited by Poconnor; 01-11-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    There isn't a recall process in VA for state level elected officials.
    Lobbying seems like it would tend to be most effective for newly elected reps in swing districts and groundswell could make others hesitate. It’s a longer game, but being reasonable with the irrational can hopefully be persuasive to third parties and may have long term value if recorded.

IANAL so this probably doesn’t work for reasons I don’t understand. Posting regardless in hopes of prompting viable idea…

For the entrenched out on the deep end (in safe seats), is the oath of office entirely pro-forma at this point or is there potential for a direct legal challenge against officials who swear an oath as a condition of taking their position with clear intent to roll over constitutional limits? State and federal constitutions barely seem to function as speed bumps.

While it is obviously legal to advocate for amendments, how is it not an open and shut oath-breaker case to ignore clear text of constitution, wording in case law (e.g. Heller and McDonald federally, no idea about VA), etc. [This should apply equally to justices inventing excuses to apply balancing tests and levels of scrutiny in the face of SCOTUS' direction to apply common use test.]

Seriously. It's not just 2A; these bills filed in VA are blowing past constitutional protection of due process, freedom of association, enumerated power limits, property rights, etc. It's nationwide issue that these clear constitutional violations become law and civil rights defenders then get to spend years in legal challenges against the headwind that article 3 courts [properly] use any means possible to avoid assessing the constitutional issues. Well a filing a bill is an official act. Is there any hope for a strategy of challenging officials on the front end of the process?

User Tag List