Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's the new Tahoe

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    That is correct.

I believe that means the only stick rear axle SUVs left out there are the Jeep Wrangler and the Toyota 4Runner, Sequoia, and Land Cruiser. Everyone else has gone independent rear axle. I get it, most SUVs are car-based unit-body construction today, anyways.

The body-on-frame truck-chassis SUV is not that long for the world, I'm afraid. Soon only specific enthusiast vehicles will be built that way and even those will be compromised.
    Just bought a new 4Runner. I don't have anything against unit body vehicles as it's the best set up for most people. All I've ever owned is the live axle- body on frame vehicles. I guess I'm a dinosaur.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I love it. I really liked the 2010 I had before but my 2017 has better acceleration off the line, it rides better, and it’s got the armor. I carry a metric ton of gear and I can fit it in the back. We changed versions of the kennel insert and it’s bigger for the dog.

The only thing I don’t like is the view out the front. The sloped hood of the 2010 model made it look like you had nothing in front of you. The hood on the 2017 doesn’t do that. I’ve gotten used to it but anytime I drive a spare I’m reminded of it
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    My issued work car has been a Tahoe since 2010. My current ride is the state contract vehicle. It’s pursuit rated and has plate armor in the doors. Tahoe’s and Expeditions are rapidly replacing Crown Vic’s as they mile out. It’s not just a Federal ride.
    There were a lot of sedans in the Sheriff's dept here not long ago. I think there are still some in use but it looks like Ford Police interceptor is replacing all of them. Looks like a Ford Exploder with some high speed enhancements. My neighbor has one. He's a sheriff.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    The upcoming Tahoe and the current Expedition, despite being IRS, are still body-on-frame construction.

As far as an SUV patrol vehicle, my last four years were on the highway driving a 2014 PPV Tahoe...loved it! Compared to a CV it was quicker and had higher top speed, much more comfortable, more room for cargo and people, and handled better.

Darth Vader

Before that, I was in investigations driving a 2010 Charger. The Charger was a hoot to drive, but the guys that worked patrol said they were a nightmare maintenance and reliability wise...we didn't run ours near as hard as the guys working the highway. 2010 all the way back to '93 was a mix of CV's along with a couple of years of LT1 Caprices.

CV's - can't kill them, but suck at everything else.
    LT1-engined Caprices - smoky burnouts, marginally better brakes than the CV.

I'm in a retirement gig as an SRO with my initial municipal agency (work just during the school year) and have come full-circle back to a CV.

I had forgotten how awful they were to drive.

edit to add:

I forgot about the one year we bought Tahoes in the '90s. Chevy came out with a patrol-rated Tahoe in '97 after dropping the 9C1 Caprice in '96, but only sold it for one or two model years. Not as good as the Caprice, but still better than the CV.

Last edited by kwb377; 12-11-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Site Supporter
    I just rented a Tahoe and a Yukon XL. I liked them both but the Yukon felt better. I wish they made a Yukon xl with a Diesel engine. Back on patrol I begged for a 2WD Tahoe for patrol. I was ignored. I liked the old caprice. The expedition was ok. The crown Vic was too small inside. I think my hip and foot problems are from sitting too much in a crown Vic. I wish ford would bring back the excursion

What’s the price tag on this? $100,000?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    It looks like a Lexus porked an astrovan,
    Nailed it, so to speak.

and that’s just from the front plate to the windshield. After that, it gets worse. The proportions are somehow totally off-putting, as if the designers were answering the unspoken question "what if we took the old one and gave it too many extra pounds and serious cankles...?"
    Current trend seems to be this. Are designers charging by the crease? The new civic: What the hell happened there?

ETA: From the article, it looks much worse in red.
    Last edited by randyho; 12-11-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post

ETA: From the article, it looks much worse in red.
    Maybe they can offer "vertical stripes" as an exterior color.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Kia-ized!

The Tahoe has been Kia-ized!

One of the motivating factors in my retirement from LEO-ing was no longer being able to patrol in Tahoe. The newer Kia-ized Ford “explorers” were torture devices, and death traps. I had to down-sized my duty pistol, to a G19, to facilitate a quick exit from the passenger-side door, and for long-term comfort while in the driver’s seat.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-11-2019 at 04:50 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    My issued work car has been a Tahoe since 2010. My current ride is the state contract vehicle. It’s pursuit rated and has plate armor in the doors. Tahoe’s and Expeditions are rapidly replacing Crown Vic’s as they mile out. It’s not just a Federal ride.
    Not many Feds running Tahoe’s.

Hell, the Govt is buying Hyundai’s now.

The new Tahoe looks ok but who ever guessed the $100k sticker price isn’t too far off. SUV prices have gotten ridiculous.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-11-2019 at 05:21 PM.

User Tag List