Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a Glock so shootable

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think setting the proper wrist angle and tension is way more important than how much finger and how it is placed on the trigger. Messing with trigger finger is like the tail wagging the dog.

A friend of mine, excellent shooter, was struggling with shots going left and right while shooting one hand with his a Glock 48. We fixed his grip angle, and all of the sudden shots were centered.

Hold a Glock, very the amount of trigger finger, and observe. Then hold a Glock, adjust your wrist angle left and right, and observe, and I think yiu will see what I am talking about.
    I need this sort of instruction. Do you know of an instructor who can teach this?

I’m a “pretty good” shooter, but I think that subtle issues like this (and probably 20 other issues) are holding me back by 1-2%. These are the hard issues to work on, because there’s not a lot of info out there on subtle techniques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then hold a Glock, adjust your wrist angle left and right, and observe, and I think yiu will see what I am talking about.
    Maybe I missed it. Can you expound further on adjusting wrist angle left or right?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Maybe I missed it. Can you expound further on adjusting wrist angle left or right?
    Glad you asked. I tried doing just that but all I seem to accomplish is ruining my sight picture, or making it awkward to achieve.
    Last edited by blues; 12-13-2019 at 02:19 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I really think a part of what makes the Glock 'so shootable' is the grip angle. So many folks profess to hate it, but I think it preloads the wrists for mitigating recoil (feels stronger to me, but no I couldn't cite any numbers on that), and the fact that it 'points high' I think helps counteract the perpetual issue of low shots from anticipation, jerking, etc. I think that second part is really huge in the far larger picture than PF. There is a lot of trigger jerking and anticipating and low shots going on out there in the world, and the Glock grip angle is doing good work to mitigate that issue.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Hold an imaginary Glock in your hand, and press your imaginary trigger. Then vary your wrist position left and right, and observe its effect on the trigger press. The goal is to set your wrist angle so the trigger is coming straight back. One hand really shows this as you don’t have the other hand to mask imperfection in your press.

Leaving aside the mental game, which is a whole different story, every bit of progress I have made in technical shooting the past year has come from refinement of my fundamentals. That progress with fundamentals has come from self examination and reflection. Almost all has been from my elbows all the way out to the pistol. My issues are probably not your issues, so you need to identify weaknesses and fix them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    My trigger finger is somewhat the same and the middle joint pushes on the frame above the trigger. Makes it very difficult to pull the trigger without disrupting the sights.
    Yeah...I get that too.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I really think a part of what makes the Glock 'so shootable' is the grip angle. So many folks profess to hate it, but I think it preloads the wrists for mitigating recoil (feels stronger to me, but no I couldn't cite any numbers on that), and the fact that it 'points high' I think helps counteract the perpetual issue of low shots from anticipation, jerking, etc. I think that second part is really huge in the far larger picture than PF. There is a lot of trigger jerking and anticipating and low shots going on out there in the world, and the Glock grip angle is doing good work to mitigate that issue.
    IIRC, I pulled plenty of shots low with my Glock in your class, Gabe. But that’s probably because I suck. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    With respect to the G34 used by high level shooters, it’s my understanding (and please correct me if I’m wrong) that part of the reason was being able to shoot major with +p+ loads out of the longer barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wrong. The major scoring does not apply to 9mm unless in Open division (Where there is no use for G34) . If you shoot Limited and want to shoot major PF, it has to be minimum 40SW (Or 357Sig for that matter) according to the rules
    Last edited by cheby; 12-13-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Hold an imaginary Glock in your hand, and press your imaginary trigger. Then vary your wrist position left and right, and observe its effect on the trigger press. The goal is to set your wrist angle so the trigger is coming straight back. One hand really shows this as you don’t have the other hand to mask imperfection in your press.

Leaving aside the mental game, which is a whole different story, every bit of progress I have made in technical shooting the past year has come from refinement of my fundamentals. That progress with fundamentals has come from self examination and reflection. Almost all has been from my elbows all the way out to the pistol. My issues are probably not your issues, so you need to identify weaknesses and fix them.
    Any chance you can post a Pic of a few different options? I'm having a hard time understanding the explanation.

Are you literally changing the grip around the gun to achieve this? 1 version of your grip has middle knuckle directly under trigger guard causing wrist to be more flat while version two middle knuckle is to right of trigger guard causing it to be bent?

Or are you keeping grip same and just bending wrist from varying degrees of flat to towards your forearm? Thank you!
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 12-13-2019 at 03:39 PM.

No amount of grip angle changes are going to fix the fact that the Glock trigger guard is smaller than it needs to be and that some people can't press the trigger (no matter how they grip the pistol) without their finger dragging somewhere inside the trigger guard. This fucks up your sight alignment when you least can afford it and led to untold frustration until I sold the gun.

If it weren't for that, I'd probably still have that 17 and possibly a 19 as well.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 12-13-2019 at 03:59 PM.

User Tag List