Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a Glock so shootable

This is a really interesting thread. I enjoyed reading it.

Could you test this theory by using a grip force adapter or chopping the bottom half of the oem backstrap and checking your splits/accuracy with a timer?

Quote Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
    The flat sides allow for ease of indexing, the flat front strap encourages a grip where pressure is directed from the front strap to the backstrap, and the sheer volume of the grip itself easily fills the hands, minimizing the possibility of slippage during recoil. I see the perceived disadvantages of the 2X4 grip as favorable features.

What's more, the ease of maintenance and breakdown allows the user to install a better trigger
    Indeed and I've found it so also. Begs the question what is actually ergonomic vs what numerous newer, curvier designs have claimed to be ergonomic.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-13-2019 at 06:54 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Who defines ergonomic?

Agree with JHC and gomerpyle.........it's the actual user that defines ergonomic. One persons 2x4 is another persons ideal grip. This week I bought a Glock 17 gen 5 after shooting a friend's 19.5. The larger grip of my G21 for years colored my opinion of the whole Glock lineup. Now I am about to take a deep breath, hold my nose, and jump into the Glock platform like I never envisioned.

Regarding triggers, I don't think a crisp single action trigger contributes to being able to shoot action pistol types of stages or drills. A finely tuned 1911 trigger is great for shooting slow fire accuracy, and people love to pick up a gun like that and dry fire such a nice crisp trigger, but when you start running the gun fast, you are susceptible to the same mistakes in your trigger press that will pull the sights off target before the shot breaks. On drills like FAST drills, bill drills, distance change up drills, blake drills, and el presidente, groups and hits are not statistically different between a finely tuned single action trigger and a Glock trigger.

Also, regarding ergonomics, I don't find something that "feels good in the hand" in the gun store translates into shoot-ability on the range. The H&K P30 is a great example. Gripping it feels like a well fit glove, but I can get better contact with my hands in the right spots on a Glock to control recoil than I can on a P30.
    Last edited by Gio; 12-13-2019 at 10:13 AM.

I shot Glocks for several years and always struggled with them. I think most of my struggle is due to my trigger finger bone structure. My trigger finger bows toward my middle finger. The Glock grip angle positions the web of the hand slightly higher than the trigger. This grip angle places my trigger finger at the bottom of the trigger and rubs against the bottom of the trigger guard and made it uncomfortable to shoot. G19 finger grooves also do not fit me so I grind them off.

I now carry a P2000SK V2 and the grip angle feels so much better to me. Even with the shorter grip and barrel I'm seeing better scores than I ever did with my G19 Gen3.

While I still greatly respect the Glock design and still shoot my G19 once in a while, I feel more comfortable with a more traditional grip angle.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    This grip angle places my trigger finger at the bottom of the trigger and rubs against the bottom of the trigger guard and made it uncomfortable to shoot.
    That right there is why I sold my first and last Glock (17G4). I could not find a way to keep my trigger finger from dragging on the bottom inside of the guard. Went to CZ and never looked back.

What makes a Glock so shootable

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post

Also, regarding ergonomics, I don't find something that "feels good in the hand" in the gun store translates into shoot-ability on the range.
    There is so much truth in this.

Us noobs have to learn this the hard way. I finally did, but it took me like 5 gun swaps to understand. I’ll never buy another gun without shooting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 12-13-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I shot Glocks for several years and always struggled with them. I think most of my struggle is due to my trigger finger bone structure. My trigger finger bows toward my middle finger. The Glock grip angle positions the web of the hand slightly higher than the trigger. This grip angle places my trigger finger at the bottom of the trigger and rubs against the bottom of the trigger guard and made it uncomfortable to shoot. G19 finger grooves also do not fit me so I grind them off.

I now carry a P2000SK V2 and the grip angle feels so much better to me. Even with the shorter grip and barrel I'm seeing better scores than I ever did with my G19 Gen3.

While I still greatly respect the Glock design and still shoot my G19 once in a while, I feel more comfortable with a more traditional grip angle.
    My trigger finger is somewhat the same and the middle joint pushes on the frame above the trigger. Makes it very difficult to pull the trigger without disrupting the sights.

I think setting the proper wrist angle and tension is way more important than how much finger and how it is placed on the trigger. Messing with trigger finger is like the tail wagging the dog.

A friend of mine, excellent shooter, was struggling with shots going left and right while shooting one hand with his a Glock 48. We fixed his grip angle, and all of the sudden shots were centered.

Hold a Glock, very the amount of trigger finger, and observe. Then hold a Glock, adjust your wrist angle left and right, and observe, and I think yiu will see what I am talking about.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

With respect to the G34 used by high level shooters, it’s my understanding (and please correct me if I’m wrong) that part of the reason was being able to shoot major with +p+ loads out of the longer barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List