Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a Glock so shootable

I could learn to shoot it if the trigger didn't eat my finger.

Hammertime
    I realized shooting today that my G4 G19 has a protruding dingus, serrated trigger face, and my finger drags on the bottom of the trigger guard.

I honestly never noticed any of these things before and never would have noticed in regular shooting had I not been told they are problems. I also don’t feel any of them affect my shooting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Excellent! I was going to mention recoil management coming from the legs and hips. Humans naturally want to fight everything with their arms. I saw this in wrestling all the time, which is why I always recommended supplementing the training with Judo.

I carry and practice with a Glock 26 about 90% of the time and I also notice that the shorter two finger grip keeps my wrist locked in a stronger angle. If I put an extension on a magazine it changes the angle and forces the grip down. This is the biggest reason why I am firmly against their use. I do not have the same problem with a Glock 19 or any other full grip pistols.

Finally, the Glock pistols do everything relatively well and allow the user to focus on what really matters to shoot well, themselves.
    Except that shooting in competition or a real gun fight you aren’t going to be in perfect position with the feet and body ever. I can’t think of a top level trainer that says the lower body matters at all. In fact, most say it doesn’t.

I think Bob Vogel is probably the best guy to listen to on how to shoot a Glock.

https://youtu.be/688tyvWxaYg

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I realized shooting today that my G4 G19 has a protruding dingus, serrated trigger face, and my finger drags on the bottom of the trigger guard.

I honestly never noticed any of these things before and never would have noticed in regular shooting had I not been told they are problems. I also don’t feel any of them affect my shooting at all.
    After about 800 rounds in one weekend, my trigger finger let me know that it wasn’t best pleased with all the dragging on the bottom of the trigger guard. The class lasted another 200 rounds or so, and that blister was worn right through. A couple hundred is still no big thing, but if I decide to run another case through a Glock in one weekend, I may do some trigger guard sculpting first.

So the whole forearm alignment thing really seems less than ideal for a two handed hold, but assuming a pistol that has the correct trigger reach for your hand size.... would this still apply in this regard? I mean you are giving up a good bit of support from the off hand, has anybody experimented with this one handed?

I carry and practice with a Glock 26 about 90% of the time and I also notice that the shorter two finger grip keeps my wrist locked in a stronger angle. If I put an extension on a magazine it changes the angle and forces the grip down. This is the biggest reason why I am firmly against their use.
    What does the timer say?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by pew_pew View Post
    Except that shooting in competition or a real gun fight you aren’t going to be in perfect position with the feet and body ever. I can’t think of a top level trainer that says the lower body matters at all. In fact, most say it doesn’t.

I think Bob Vogel is probably the best guy to listen to on how to shoot a Glock.

Wow, really? Do you hover in midair as you move in a dynamic situation? Your statement supports what I stated, you just don’t get it...

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What does the timer say?
    The timer says mostly turbo and light on Gabe’s standards, how about you?

Love the Honk Honk sound I heard periodically in the video.

Ahh yes, the old adage of "well son, your stance doesn't matter, you won't be standing still in a gunfight" analogy. I think perhaps you are missing the forest for the trees.

Proper stance teaches good fundamental mechanics, teaches leverage. This turns into footwork, footwork leads to effectively moving in and out positions, primarily effectively setting yourself up for the next position. Accomplished footwork, turns into the ability of effective improvisation in any dynamic situation. "Boy, I wish I had less training on my stance and footwork", said no one ever in a gunfight, or competition for that matter.

Your body builds off of prior learned skills. This is not restricted to shooting. What do we do with kids or anyone new to any sport? Yep basics, stance, footwork, quick movement and throwing the ball on the move, or throwing punches from varied positions. The stance seems to be a common thing taught at any novice level in almost all sports. I would argue that there are about nearly zero professional athletes who didn't learn correct mechanics. They didn't get to the pros without understanding and mastery of base fundamentals that led them to make a diving catch and to throw a ball sideways while sitting on their ass in game 7 of the world series.

I would not give much credence to a "top level trainer" that says the lower body does not matter at all. It matters less as a shooter skill increases, but it isn't all about recoil management. That may be where it starts but that isn't where it ends. Your feet are what connect you to the earth. Your ability to do more with less than ideal earth contact should have been borne from a good beginning. Either that or that person is a Michael Jordan or a savant. Very few exist.

Hard to argue with Bob Vogel, but some nuances exist in his technique that others have a hard time or are not capable of mimicking, or gasp, perform differently. He is, after all, Bob Vogel. Kinda like telling anyone who picks up a basketball to just be like Mike.

The timer says mostly turbo and light on Gabe’s standards, how about you?
    The timer definitely says my splits are definitely slower with a two finger grip instead of using a three finger grip on the G26.

I'm unsure what you mean by "turbo and light on Gabe's standards"....do you mean you shoot light on a 3 finger G26, and turbo on a two finger G26?

ETA: To be clear, my splits are slower, as well as my draw.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-14-2019 at 11:20 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List