Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a Glock so shootable

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Here is a quick take on how I will set my wrists with my two-handed grip. My one-handed grip and stance vary.

Excellent! I was going to mention recoil management coming from the legs and hips. Humans naturally want to fight everything with their arms. I saw this in wrestling all the time, which is why I always recommended supplementing the training with Judo.

I carry and practice with a Glock 26 about 90% of the time and I also notice that the shorter two finger grip keeps my wrist locked in a stronger angle. If I put an extension on a magazine it changes the angle and forces the grip down. This is the biggest reason why I am firmly against their use. I do not have the same problem with a Glock 19 or any other full grip pistols.

Finally, the Glock pistols do everything relatively well and allow the user to focus on what really matters to shoot well, themselves.

Surprised it has not been mentioned yet...

The Glock grip angle is in actual fact the Luger grip angle, with possibly a slightly different exact degree measurement, but virtually identical. Also, consider the Luger did in fact have the hump on the backstrap pretty much identical to Glocks. The Luger AFAIK has long been considered to be one of the most naturally pointing pistols of all time.

I had found this information in the old video 'Making Glock's Rock' with T.R. Graham "The Glocksmith", for anybody interested in watching the video.
    Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 12-14-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would have to look to determine, but I have no idea how much finger I am using, and where my middle knuckle is. No idea whether my finger is dragging in the trigger guard. What I do know is how I am setting my wrist angle, up and down and side to side, and the tension in my wrist. That allows me to move the straight trigger back, regardless of whether my finger is rubbing in the trigger guard or how much finger I have on the trigger. Here is a short video showing it, shooting support hand. (BTW, the screenshot of the video, is demonstrating the “wrong way.”

Ah, so THAT’S what you’re referring to. That makes a ton of sense and I’ve found that this is definitely beneficial IME as well. I’m definitely more consistent in keeping shots centered up in keeping a vertical cant with the pistol than I am canting at an angle.

Here is a quick take on how I will set my wrists with my two-handed grip. My one-handed grip and stance vary.

I want to say that I think I’ve seen another one of your videos where you allude to maintaining bore to forearm alignment as not actually being optimal, but the way you’ve explained it here details actually rotating the gun in the web of the hand so that you’re NOT imparting forces upon the gun in order to maintain alignment with your dominant eye while also not maintaining alignment with your forearm. This concept is probably simply and straightforward for many here, but this particular nugget is a fundamental change and “ah-ha” moment for me.

I’m totally going to be trying this to see what it does for me. This may very well be the solution that I’ve been looking for for literally years now. Thank you VERY much for posting this.

The only tricky part with this for me is, as you mentioned with smaller hands, I should get much better trigger reach. However, the web of my hand is such that I think one of the rounded off corners on the tang of the Glock frame is going to create a hot spot at the base thumb knuckle. I’ll have to play with it to see what happens.

Site Supporter

This is great, thank you. I've always disregarded that forearm bone alignment dogma but never articulated exactly why as clearly as you. I always assumed it was a vestigial technique from bullseye shooting stances. It's still widely taught in context with a freestyle grip but I think many instructors don't understand why it's wrong and just ignore it when their students don't comply with it.

I picked up that "tip" about aligning the pistol with your forearm about a year ago and had been looking for a pistol that I could comfortably do that with since. It's been a challenge with my small hands. I recently picked up a P365 XL and had been gripping it with an emphasis to align it perfectly with my forearm. I found that this was actually more uncomfortable for me but was confused as to why at first.

Last night I held the gun and thought maybe I should just try gripping it with it canted in like I normally do. A minute later I watch Surf's video discussing this and realized that I had wasted a year chasing something pointless. For years I had thought the way I was gripping the gun by slightly canting the butt in wasn't optimal and had been searching for an answer that wasn't ever needed. Thank you to Surf and everyone here for helping me see the light.

@Surf Thanks for the great info, as always.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I need this sort of instruction. Do you know of an instructor who can teach this?
    Two of the best in the business when it comes to shooter analytics and diagnostics: https://www.practicalshootingtraininggroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by modrecoil View Post
    I've always disregarded that forearm bone alignment dogma ...
    It is dogma, and I've tried to follow it, for the most part. However, trigger reach really limits gun choices.

Disregarding it and following Surf's recommendations really opens up the gun options.

I saw Ernest Langdon on a podcast somewhere comment on the Beretta M9/92 standard vs Vertec grip and he mentioned the standard grip is a better option even if the Vertec may initially seem better for those with smaller hands. Ignoring the forearm bone alignment, I can see how this could work.

I wish I had seen your video a few years ago. I ended up with the same conclusion but it would have been much faster and easier to get there had I watched your video then.

User Tag List