Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: What makes a Glock so shootable

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Understood, and that makes sense.

“My” context is shooting better one handed in USPSA Classifiers. So no need to simulate an injury; I’ll take whatever I can get in terms of bettering my score in gun games. I’ll give it a try next chance I have at live fire.
    Try flagging the thumb, and during another practice session try curling the thumb down.

I used to flag my thumb with my P2000, but had just figured it out myself at the time. Todd suggested curling the thumb, which I now use as I'm shooting the Glock 19 and it gives better results than flagging the thumb.

I did them both for accuracy reasons and trying to stabilize the gun throughout the trigger pull, however, not for recoil management.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The timer isn't a gotcha, it's a necessary tool to compare actual performance to "what we feel", and there's a lot of "feels" in this thread vs quantifiable performance. It wasn't about dick measuring, I was asking about measured performance between a two finger and three fingered grip, and you responded with dick measuring insteadm that was your choice.

FWIW, you never said you were more accurate with the G26's two fingered grip until this post.

Thanks for clarifying.
    Come on. If I replied “yes,” your next question would have been about splits. Just because you cannot, doesn’t mean someone else cannot.

You really went back to edit your post 20 minutes later to add the gibberish about “dick measuring?”

Yes, the two finger grip and the short hump create better leverage (for me) than a pinky extension that is too far back from the rest of the grip. The only disadvantage of the shorter grip are reloads, but it’s for CC, not law enforcement or gun games. The draw isn’t even a disadvantage for me anymore. Its splitting hairs and not worth it to me. I’d rather carry the same gun all year and practice the same way all year.

So relax, there’s no contest.

@GAP I only recently bought a few Glock G26 extended mags and used to only carry with the flush. You got me thinking and I think my best 26 work was with the flush. I don't shoot them often so not a lot of data logged . I will be looking into this.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

never mind
    Last edited by blues; 12-15-2019 at 06:34 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I know with a 26 and a 43, slow fire accuracy has always been a little easier for me with a flush mag.

I carry with a +0 base plate because I get a better grip on the draw with it.

Never thought to compare them on a timer.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I know with a 26 and a 43, slow fire accuracy has always been a little easier for me with a flush mag.

I carry with a +0 base plate because I get a better grip on the draw with it.

Never thought to compare them on a timer.
    I used to think that too and tried a few different extensions in the process. However, when I looked at my draw I realized that I really jam the web of my thumb hard into the top curve of the back strap. That motion is what secures my draw and initial grip, not my pinky. Hard to explain I suppose, but I push down pretty hard initially, then pull up.

Some years ago, I heard that the Glock 26 was the most accurate non 1911 pistol at fifty yards the FBI had tested. Speculation was that the short/stiff barrel of the 26 was responsible for that precision. Interestingly, before the Gen 5, I found 26/19/17 pistols to be more accurate in my hands than the Gen 3 and 4 34, which would support the short and stiff versus long barrel theory. When I was going through my M&P 9mm accuracy issues, I would use a Glock 26 as my daily “control pistol” to make sure accuracy issues were the pistol and not me. Lots of discussion on this thread about great precision from the G26 on B8’s and other accuracy oriented drills.

The other part of the analysis is the Glock 26 is near universally considered to be harder to shoot than a larger Glock in time oriented drills. That should be no surprise as the 26 is harder to draw, harder to reload, and harder to control in recoil shooting fast with its smaller grip which allows you less hand on the pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Try flagging the thumb, and during another practice session try curling the thumb down.

I used to flag my thumb with my P2000, but had just figured it out myself at the time. Todd suggested curling the thumb, which I now use as I'm shooting the Glock 19 and it gives better results than flagging the thumb.

I did them both for accuracy reasons and trying to stabilize the gun throughout the trigger pull, however, not for recoil management.
    Also try stretching the thumb straight forward. It’s weird but once you get the hang of it it works surprisingly well.

Also, don’t be surprised if you find one technique works better strong hand and one works better offhand .
    Last edited by HCM; 12-15-2019 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    The other item Mr. Bower's mentioned was to ball your opposite fist and bury it into your shooting shoulder to help stabilize.
    Makes zero biomechanical sense. I think I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Makes zero biomechanical sense. I think I'll pass.
    That's an oooold bullseye trick. It actually works.

User Tag List