Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a Glock so shootable

What makes a Glock so shootable

As Gio just pointed out in another thread, and USPSA and IDPA (the Vogel games) results confirm, a Glock is no disadvantage in high level competition in Production, Limited, Carry Optics and whatever the IDPA equivalents of these divisions is. Consider that a $500 hunk of plastic that weighs about half as much and costs 1/2 to a 1/10 of a metal pistol, can run with those dedicated competition guns.

So why is this so? It certainly is not because of the Glock trigger. While we make them work, no one designing an optimal interface between the shooter and the pistol, would design a Glock trigger. It certainly isn’t because of the inherent precision of Glock pistols. While the Gen 5 pistols are pretty good in this area, no one would pick a Glock to compete in bullseye competition. It certainly isn’t because of the weight of the Glock pistol, as the trend in competition is towards heavy pistols. It certainly isn’t because of polymer, because many pistols are polymer.

My theory is what makes the Glock so shootable is the very thing many people despise about the Glock. I believe the Glock grip angle is a big part of the secret sauce. If a Glock points high for you, you are not taking advantage of what is the most important shooting attribute of the Glock. To make the Glock point right, requires you to set the proper wrist angle and tension, and that proper wrist angle and tension are what I believe is the key to shooting a Glock fast and accurately.

A related consideration is finger grooves, and how that relates to your strong hand control over the pistol. I used to think recoil control was all about support hand grip, but lately I have come to believe that the strong hand is the key for me, and that finger grooves allow me to more effectively C clamp with my strong hand. If you put a finger groove Glock in your hand, and then do the same thing with a Gen 5 or model with no finger grooves, you may notice that the finger grooves add control over the grip.

So, my guess is those that are getting the best results out of a Glock believe it points naturally, and those that do not believe the Glock points naturally for them, are leaving a lot on the table.

Discuss!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

When I was new to shooting pistols I disparaged the Glock grip angle.

I chose the P2000 because I was a child of the 90s and had an obsession with HK, it looked nice, and I thought the grip was awesome.

Over the course of the P2000 I learned that the USP actually had more effective ergos for the actual use of a handgun, as opposed to how good it feels in your hand at the gun counter.

So here I am with a year and a half on my G19M, and when I pick up guns with a "regular" grip angle it feels weird and as if I'm shooting with a broken grip. I don't know if it has done anything for my splits, but it definitely feels weird. The improvements to my shooting performance that I can quantify on timer/scores is due to other attributes.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I can be sold on this.

I’ve got a G19, a B92, and a 1911 at hand while I type this. I can rotate my weak hand wrist further forward in the Glock than the other two, and I have read of others demonstrating that rotating the wrists forward allow for more tension and strength in the wrist.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I agree. Nothing else feels as recoilcontrolly as a Glock.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I have owned quite a few Glocks and other pistols and none ever shot high for me.

Glock shooter mind set is another attribute. Practical dedication to a practical firearm let one focus on what matters.

I agree with grip angle supporting wrist lock.

I thi k the finger grooves provided an opposing surface against upward rotation, but the grooves do not fit all hands.

So, IMHO, Glocks allow you to shoot well because they let you focus on the target not the gun.

edited to remove blah, blah, blah.
    Last edited by Alembic; 12-10-2019 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I agree. Nothing else feels as recoilcontrolly as a Glock.
    It's how I feel too, but what does the timer say?

No different for me.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I think you’re assuming that they are more shootable than other pistols. For me they’re not.

They do cycle extremely fast and flat. They do have a lot of room on the grip for the off hand. They do reload very fast. They are extremely reliable and more common that just about anything. The square grip does make for a very consistent draw. They are cheap to buy and maintain. They are accurate enough for government work.

Hell, maybe they are more shootable than other guns.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I think you’re assuming that they are more shootable than other pistols. For me they’re not.

They do cycle extremely fast and flat. They do have a lot of room on the grip for the off hand. They do reload very fast. They are extremely reliable and more common that just about anything. The square grip does make for a very consistent draw. They are cheap to buy and maintain. They are accurate enough for government work.

Hell, maybe they are more shootable than other guns.
    I would say they are not less shootable than other pistols, as opposed to they are more shootable.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime
    I don’t know what to add other than I have tried a lot of other guns in search of something better but find I shoot a Glock as well as anything and better than a heck of a lot of other guns. I started my pistol shooting journey with Glock and am pretty much full circle back to them now.

What makes it shootable?

1. Grip angle feels locked in. Agree.
    2. Low bore axis. Maybe not important but it doesn’t hurt.
    3. Trigger isn’t great but it is pretty short to stroke
    and reset.
    4. Flexy polymer I think soaks you some harshness.
    5. Rectangular cross section grip has abundant space for both hands.

User Tag List