Thread: Series 80 parts?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Series 80 parts?

I'm buying a Series 80 Lightweight Combat Commander from an estate.

Outside of general neglect (the owner was sick for a long time), he deactivated the firing pin drop safety. He removed the slide parts and cut the lever off the firing pin plunger lever. I'm not a terribly big fan of doing that.

I can source all of the slide parts, but the firing pin plunger lever seems to be unavailable.

Gun Parts has them for Remington's 1911. Brownell's has them for Para-Ordnance.

Does anyone anticipate an issue with either one?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Perfect, thank you!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    I'd be interested to hear anyone's personal experience with the linked Cylinder and Slide kit.

I have a Series 80 Colt Commander I'm currently working on to include polishing of the factory components. I'm not sure what difference if any there is in a National Match lever, but having the pins polished and coated sounds nice.

Question

If parts have not changed since I attended the Colt O-Frame armorers classes, there are four different plunger levers. They are marked 1,2,3 and "N", and vary in angle and lift. The N lever lifts the most and may need fitting. The higher lift enables the use of a trigger over travel stop in Series 80 guns, without the firing pin beating up the firing pin safety plunger. I would guess this is why the N plunger lever is included in the C&S kit. I know Remington and Para use a Series 80 type safety system, but don't know if the plunger levers are exactly the same as Colt factory plunger levers...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'm buying a Series 80 Lightweight Combat Commander from an estate.

Outside of general neglect (the owner was sick for a long time), he deactivated the firing pin drop safety. He removed the slide parts and cut the lever off the firing pin plunger lever. I'm not a terribly big fan of doing that.

I can source all of the slide parts, but the firing pin plunger lever seems to be unavailable.

Gun Parts has them for Remington's 1911. Brownell's has them for Para-Ordnance.

Does anyone anticipate an issue with either one?
    It's a good thing you're doing. Well, other than combining the terms "Lightweight" and "Combat" when describing a Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    It's a good thing you're doing. Well, other than combining the terms "Lightweight" and "Combat" when describing a Commander.
    I stripped the gun down. Good thing, as it had more lint in it than a dryer's screen. It has a trigger stop, which tells me something, but I don't know what.

I ordered a new recoil spring, which I do routinely when I get a used pistol. In this case, I also ordered a new firing pin return spring, as I can't be sure that it wasn't mucked with. The night sights are dead, which I'm not going to worry about, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It has a trigger stop, which tells me something, but I don't know what.
    you mean the overtravel screw? It probably doesn't tell you any more than the cut-out series 80 parts do.

Rescuing old Colt's is a noble cause.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    If parts have not changed since I attended the Colt O-Frame armorers classes, there are four different plunger levers. They are marked 1,2,3 and "N", and vary in angle and lift. The N lever lifts the most and may need fitting. The higher lift enables the use of a trigger over travel stop in Series 80 guns, without the firing pin beating up the firing pin safety plunger. I would guess this is why the N plunger lever is included in the C&S kit. I know Remington and Para use a Series 80 type safety system, but don't know if the plunger levers are exactly the same as Colt factory plunger levers...
    Thanks! Good info! Planning on a new trigger with over travel stop so a new lever may be in order. First time working with the series 80 system.

Well, I finally got around to putting the gun back together. Other than having to use q-tips to remove lint from every conceivable crevice in the gun, clean up some small parts and deal with my fumbling fingers (it's been a very long time since I detail-stripped a 1911), it went back together fine and seems to function OK.

Next step, when I get around to it, will be a range trip.

Then I may get around to replacing the long-dead night sights.

User Tag List