Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: What makes a Glock so shootable

When I had the 26 it always felt like I drew it better and shot better with a +2 mag. But in back to back drills I would draw it faster, and my hits were generally better with the same splits with the flat mag.

I shoot a 19 better than either so for me at least its more than two or three fingers making the difference, I shoot a 45 almost identically to a 19, but shoot a 17 substantially better than either of them.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    That's an oooold bullseye trick. It actually works.
    Relevant to a fight or not I've got to try this! I assume the offhand fist is pressed into the shooting side shoulder pocket like a rifle's stock?
    Last edited by JHC; 12-16-2019 at 07:52 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Relevant to a fight or not I've got to try this! I assume the offhand fist is pressed into the shooting side shoulder pocket like a rifle's stock?
    My understanding of the concept is that taking your fist and bringing your arm across your chest helps “do something” with your arm that isn’t being used and keeps your balance close to your core instead of having a free arm waggling about. I find it useful and typically see consistently better shots vs letting that arm do whatever it wants.

I have found that squeezing the empty hand about as hard as I'm gripping the gun with makes handling the gun more intuitive/natural.

I've always used a chest index when drawing without concealment/entanglement, and my weak hand goes to the same general place when drawing, Sur, and deliberate one-hand shooting.

I've considered it a relic from the old days of bullseye and speed-rocks, and it's probably not sexy, but I haven't shot my other hand. So I have that goin' for me...

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I want to say that I think I’ve seen another one of your videos where you allude to maintaining bore to forearm alignment as not actually being optimal, but the way you’ve explained it here details actually rotating the gun in the web of the hand so that you’re NOT imparting forces upon the gun in order to maintain alignment with your dominant eye while also not maintaining alignment with your forearm. This concept is probably simply and straightforward for many here, but this particular nugget is a fundamental change and “ah-ha” moment for me.

I’m totally going to be trying this to see what it does for me. This may very well be the solution that I’ve been looking for for literally years now. Thank you VERY much for posting this.

The only tricky part with this for me is, as you mentioned with smaller hands, I should get much better trigger reach. However, the web of my hand is such that I think one of the rounded off corners on the tang of the Glock frame is going to create a hot spot at the base thumb knuckle. I’ll have to play with it to see what happens.
    So, I’ve been practicing this new strong hand index on the pistol since this post and even shot match this way yesterday. Observations so far is that it’s way easier for me to reach and work the trigger subconsciously and it also seems to allow the sights to track easier. I didn’t seem to have any issues with pushing shots left, so that’s kinda nice. The grip hump doesn’t seem to be annoying at all nowThe only negatives I can find so far is that not only does my Glock Knuckle still get irritated, but there’s there’s now a new hotspot at the base thumb knuckle of my strong hand where the corner of the tang can dig into it thanks to the size and shape of my hands. So I guess on high round count days/sessions I might need to just start taping those hotspots up or something.

So far this is a net win. I’ll post more as I discover more. Thank you again @Surf. This has been extremely helpful.

So far this is a net win. I’ll post more as I discover more. Thank you again @Surf. This has been extremely helpful.
    Good to hear that it was helpful.

Play with the hand placement, but a natural point of aim and lining up the sights with the dominant eye in relation to your grip is critical to fast first shot to target and best neutral tracking of the pistol during recoil for follow up shots. I didn't discuss the best way to set this up and practice it, as there is a process that we use to teach shooters, but keep working it.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Good to hear that it was helpful.

Play with the hand placement, but a natural point of aim and lining up the sights with the dominant eye in relation to your grip is critical to fast first shot to target and best neutral tracking of the pistol during recoil for follow up shots. I didn't discuss the best way to set this up and practice it, as there is a process that we use to teach shooters, but keep working it.
    I have been. The more I play with it (phrasing?), the more I find my strong hand rotating counterclockwise on a Glock frame. Functionally this is getting the sights in front of my eye quicker and more naturally. Comfort-wise, it’s definitely an adjustment. Particularly with my middle finger middle knuckle and the base thumb knuckle. Although I do find that my trigger finger no longer drags like it used to on the bottom of the trigger guard nor does it rock up against the top of the trigger well.

Lots of dry draws both on the timer and slow and methodical is how I’m gradually making changes and/or mylenating the new grip. Getting my support hand in place and locked in on my strong hand also seems easier with this.

there’s there’s now a new hotspot at the base thumb knuckle of my strong hand where the corner of the tang can dig into it thanks to the size and shape of my hands.
    I've had that same callus for the better part of a year. I just naturally gravitated towards the strong and placement discussed by @Surf because of my hand size/finger length and with it came that hot spot then callus between the web of the right hand and the base of the right thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I've had that same callus for the better part of a year. I just naturally gravitated towards the strong and placement discussed by @Surf because of my hand size/finger length and with it came that hot spot then callus between the web of the right hand and the base of the right thumb.
    It’s not the callouses that I mind. I just don’t want some of those joints going arthritic before others prematurely. I use my hands for a lot more than just shooting.

It’s not the callouses that I mind. I just don’t want some of those joints going arthritic before others prematurely. I use my hands for a lot more than just shooting.
    Well, duh. You're not the only one who depends on his hands to do more than just hold a pistol.

Is there any link between shooting and arthritis, even?

User Tag List