Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a Glock so shootable

I think that the Glock has a combination of features that land it in some kind of mystical sweet spot. I’ve tested pistols with better triggers and pistols that were more accurate in slow fire at longer ranges, but I keep coming back to the Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    5. Rectangular cross section grip has abundant space for both hands.
    I suspect that the Glock’s flat sides help orient the pistol in the hand during draws at speed. I got that idea from a post that Darryl wrote about knife handles. A couple of years after I read that post, I went down the HK rabbit hole (P30LS, VP9, VP40, USP). All were more accurate in slow fire at longer ranges and I shot some of my best times and scores on The Test with the VPs. But when I really hit the gas, I was much more likely to throw a flyer—and I mean REALLY throw it—with a VP than with a Glock. Not sure why that is, but I keep coming back to how the flat sides helped to orient the pistol in my hands at an almost subconscious level.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I think that the Glock has a combination of features that land it in some kind of mystical sweet spot. I’ve tested pistols with better triggers and pistols that were more accurate in slow fire at longer ranges, but I keep coming back to the Glock.

I suspect that the Glock’s flat sides help orient the pistol in the hand during draws at speed. I got that idea from a post that Darryl wrote about knife handles. A couple of years after I read that post, I went down the HK rabbit hole (P30LS, VP9, VP40, USP). All were more accurate in slow fire at longer ranges and I shot some of my best times and scores on The Test with the VPs. But when I really hit the gas, I was much more likely to throw a flyer—and I mean REALLY throw it—with a VP than with a Glock. Not sure why that is, but I keep coming back to how the flat sides helped to orient the pistol in my hands at an almost subconscious level.

Okie John
    I have to agree with your assessment.

I also recall @JodyH stating the same thing about the flat sides of the USPc.

I did notice that for me the Glock sights tracked straight up and down at speed, whereas my P30L looked more like a rabbit running in the headlights.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 12-11-2019 at 10:40 AM.

I don't think Glocks are shootable so much as they're workable.

USPSA/IDPA type competition doesn't require an above average level of mechanical accuracy. Any gun on the market is good enough.

Glock doesn't put obnoxious slide stop levers, decockers, safeties in the wrong place.

Glock sights are easy to change.

Glocks doesn't make the grips overly ergonomic. Guns that fit the hand perfectly are difficult to control for strings.

Bore axis is a thing. Especially with lightweight plastic frames and no hammer/mainspring for the slide to overcome.

Glocks are easy to tinker with. If you have low standards you can have your very own 'trigger job'.

Glocks are 'serious' guns. They're in LE and mil holsters world-wide and people like shooting serious guns. Perception is reality.

A talented shooter can run anything well. Talent makes it to the top.

When working Bill Drills for instance, the dot never leaves the window of the sight during recoil, which encourages me to go faster. (And yes, I'm shooting loads that are above minimum minor PF enough to be confident on any crono.)

I like that I can get a lot of meat on grip of a Glock with the large backstrap installed. I would like to try an "XL" version if it were ever produced. I just feel like I can grab the gun hard and I don't have to worry about interfering with any knobs, switches or doodads.
    Last edited by NETim; 12-11-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Chiming in for a brief counterpoint: within reason, grip angle and bore axis have little to do with shootability or recoil control, so long as they are within reason. Grip technique (strength/consistency) and an appropriate relationship between the “hotness” of the ammo and recoil/main springs allow pretty much any pistol to achieve a properly-timed recoil stroke.

As a matter of personal opinion, Glock ergos are terrible, especially on the 19 and 26 frames. I have a very high support hand grip, which, with a Glock, forces an unnaturally-extreme cant on my wrists. There are two reasons why it doesn’t work for me:

(1) It disrupts my ability to crush the gun. Make a fist with your wrist straight, and squeeze as tight as you can. Try to keep the same tension in the first while rolling the wrist forward. With my left hand, the forearm engagement needed to roll my wrist weakens the squeezing force in my fist, especially across the index and middle fingers.

(2) Rolling my wrist to the extent required forces my elbows up and out, which forces my shoulders up, which engages my delts and traps unnecessarily. It causes a lot of tightness in my shooting, which is fatiguing and makes fast transitions more difficult.

It looks like that’s not everyone’s experience, which is cool. There are guns for everyone.
    I’m glad you posted this. I’ve felt this exact way for a long time and kind of force myself to shoot Glocks but all this mirrors my experiences perfectly.

I have a couple Glocks, all stock as they came from the factory, and agree on the grip angle. It is an advantage. They shoot well enough for defensive uses but when I get done shooting one, I feel like I just finished driving an old truck. Recently I tried a CZ P10C and it feels the same way. The G19.5 that I shot feels better than any Glock that I have shot so they are making progress.

As much time as I spend shooting, I would much rather spend that time with something I love to shoot
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I They shoot well enough for defensive uses
    What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    What does that mean?
    Sounds like he's saying that they get the job done...but he doesn't particularly enjoy shooting them. No different than cars or motorcycles I guess. Most will reliably get you from point A to point B but most will have a preference for one or another.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    What does that mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Sounds like he's saying that they get the job done...but he doesn't particularly enjoy shooting them. No different than cars or motorcycles I guess. Most will reliably get you from point A to point B but most will have a preference for one or another.
    This. It’s kind of like driving a mid to late 2000’s Chevy Aveo. Can it get you from point A to point B? Sure. It’s hell on my knees regardless of where I put the seat for distances longer than across town and especially going completely across the state of Michigan. Ask me how I know. Fortunately I wasn’t the one who bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Isn't defensive use the most demanding and important use?

User Tag List