Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a Glock so shootable

All I want to say is that this has been an extremely interesting thread with a lot of great contributions... Please carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The timer definitely says my splits are definitely slower with a two finger grip instead of using a three finger grip on the G26.

I'm unsure what you mean by "turbo and light on Gabe's standards"....do you mean you shoot light on a 3 finger G26, and turbo on a two finger G26?

ETA: To be clear, my splits are slower, as well as my draw.
    Two finger grip always, and depending on the drill I usually score turbo or light.

F2S turbo, Bill Drill Light, for example.

You can train to be fast with a two finger grip if you are putting in thousands of rounds with it. It becomes “normal.”

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    You can train to be fast with a two finger grip if you are putting in thousands of rounds with it. It becomes “normal.”
    I imagine so, and shooting Turbo on Gabe's standard with a two-fingered Glock 26 is nothing short of amazing that would without doubt put you in the top .1% of shooters worldwide. That's incredible performance that most people are using customized compact-to-fullsize guns to attain. Not a single one of Gabe's Turbo Pins has been awarded to someone shooting a two-finger gun, for instance, and not even any subcompact guns at that.

Still, even with your performance putting you in a group of people in the US that could be counted on one or two hands:

Your assertation was that you were against using a three fingered grip, as it reduced your wrist lock and, I'm inferring, would make you shoot worse.

So, if you've established a performance baseline with two fingered Glock 26, what's that performance with a Glock 19 (or Glock 26 with an extension)? Is it worse on the timer? The question wasn't about your truly astounding overall performance, but rather the difference in your performance with two vs three fingers on the grip.

Besides me, my entire agency shoots worse on two fingered Glocks vs the Glock 19. I'm not omniscient, but I haven't met a single person that can shoot a Glock 26 as well as the Glock 19 on our newer COF, and feel fairly confident in the observation that people don't shoot as well with two fingers as three. Never heard of someone win a trophy with a two fingered gun in a match, for instance.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-15-2019 at 12:23 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I imagine so, and shooting Turbo on Gabe's standard with a two-fingered Glock 26 is nothing short of amazing that would without doubt put you in the top .1% of shooters worldwide. That's incredible performance that most people are using customized compact-to-fullsize guns to attain. Not a single one of Gabe's Turbo Pins has been award to someone shooting a two-finger gun, for instance, and not even any subcompact guns at that.

Still, even with your performance putting you in a group of people in the US that could be counted on one or two hands:

Your assertation was that you were against using a three fingered grip, as it reduced your wrist lock and, I'm inferring, would make you shoot worse.

So, if you've established a performance baseline with two fingered Glock 26, what's that performance with a Glock 19 (or Glock 26 with an extension)? Is it worse on the timer? The question wasn't about your truly astounding overall performance, but rather the difference in your performance with two vs three fingers on the grip.

Besides me, my entire agency shoots worse on two fingered Glocks vs the Glock 19. I'm not omniscient, but I haven't met a single person that can shoot a Glock 26 as well as the Glock 19 on our newer COF, and feel fairly confident in the observation that people don't shoot as well with two fingers as three. Never heard of someone win a trophy with a two fingered gun in a match, for instance.
    Forgive me if I’m stepping outside of my lane, but I think you may be reading too much into GAP’s comment about the G26: it sounded more to me like he was against using magazine adapters on G19 or G17 magazines used as reloads for the G26 because they screw up his grip on the G26.

I think. I don’t use adapters on them, either, but that’s because they pinch on reloads where the naked longer magazines don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Forgive me if I’m stepping outside of my lane, but I think you may be reading too much into GAP’s comment about the G26: it sounded more to me like he was against using magazine adapters on G19 or G17 magazines used as reloads for the G26 because they screw up his grip on the G26.

I think. I don’t use adapters on them, either, but that’s because they pinch on reloads where the naked longer magazines don’t.
    I guess we'll find out when he answers, but he specifically said that a two-finger grip keeps his wrist locked at a stronger angle in Post 101, nothing about reloading.

FWIW, I agree with you on the adapters. I have a 12 round PMAG for the Glock 26, but wouldn't carry them as reloads. I even like using 17 round reloads even for a 19, basically for the same reason.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-15-2019 at 12:34 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Going back to GJM's video about setting wrist angle by rotating/canting gun towards his outboard side (supination of the wrist) - I just found a video where Bill Bowers of P&S does this also with his two-handed grip. He said he attributes this to what he does with grip, elbows, and shoulders. If interested, it's at 1:15 in vid.

I found it interesting because I have never heard of anyone doing this intentionally until this thread.

https://youtu.be/xwiyVkSBXJs
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 12-15-2019 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Going back to GJM's video about setting wrist angle by rotating/canting gun towards his outboard side (supination of the wrist) - I just found a video where Bill Bowers of P&S does this also with his two-handed grip. He said he attributes this to what he does with grip, elbows, and shoulders. If interested, it's at 1:15 in vid.

I found it interesting because I have never heard of anyone doing this intentionally until this thread.

Me either. John McPhee is really against doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post

That canting is coming from this weak hand elbow rotating out to apply inward pressure on the gun. It’s the same thing Vogel is big on. It’s not from how he grips it with the strong hand.

I imagine so, and shooting Turbo on Gabe's standard with a two-fingered Glock 26 is nothing short of amazing that would without doubt put you in the top .1% of shooters worldwide. That's incredible performance that most people are using customized compact-to-fullsize guns to attain. Not a single one of Gabe's Turbo Pins has been awarded to someone shooting a two-finger gun, for instance, and not even any subcompact guns at that.

I think you’re responding in a bit of an emotional and condescending way. I never compared a G26 vs a G19. I never said a G26 two finger grip is faster than a G19. I said the two finger grip does lock my wrist in an angle that results in better accuracy. You brought the timer in as a “gotcha,” but I am fast with it, too.

I shoot a G19 a hair faster even with most of my training on a G26. But it doesn’t change the fact that ~7/10 times I can score a light or turbo time of any of the drills.

Here are times I posted in Gabe’s thread from 2017 (including concealment bonus):

Bill Drill

F2S

2H

4B2H

Thanks.

@GAP, there seems to be some confusion regarding what you meant. Just to clarify, my understanding of your posts was that you were specifically referring to the G26 and that you were able to achieve a more solid/correct grip on a G26 with flush 10 round magazines than one with extended baseplate mags like the OEM +2 or Magpul. I didn’t take it as you were comparing two finger grips to three finger grips in general, as in G26 vs G19, just that there was something specific about how most G26 mag extensions were designed that messed up your grip. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Also, how are your results when using G19 or G17 magazines in a G26? Are they closer to your results when using 10 rounders or closer to your results with the extended baseplates?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List