Thread: Charter Arms Bulldog “Bodyguard”

Charter Arms Bulldog “Bodyguard” 44 Special

Anyone have experience with current production?

I know I shouldn’t be considering this, but here I am...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/848029758
    Last edited by MolonLabe416; 12-10-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Damnit, why couldn't it al least be a Taurus. I would probably buy a Taurus.

This is going to sound weird, but I have never handled a new-production Charter Arms revolver that felt like was “completed.” They always felt like there was a final step in the finishing process that was skipped... squarish edges and heavy, sticky triggers.

I can’t comment on their quality or longevity outside of construction. Lord knows even the big names are shipping guns by the truckload with canted barrels, visible toolmarks, and casting seams.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post

I know I shouldn’t be considering this, but here I am...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/848029758
    Anecdote: My Father has a circa 2013 production Bulldog that has about 300-350 rounds through it and thousands of dry fire cycles through it with no issues. Sights regulate to 200gr bullets pretty well at 7yd, but inexplicably throws Hornady Critical Defense 180gr about 3-4in high and left at the same 7yd.

The trigger got noticeably better after 300-400 dry fire cycles in DA, which was nice but makes me concerned about wear on internal parts at 2000rd+ round counts. He likes it, but he does not carry it. Holsters and speedloaders are a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    I've only had my Bulldog (DAO) for a couple weeks -- maybe 100 rounds and lots of dry-firing. But so far, so good.

Name:  snubbies.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  36.6 KB

As the picture shows, the current Bulldog is pretty small. With the "compact" grips, it's about 1/2" longer, 5/16" higher, and 1/8" wider than a S&W 442. The extra height and width house the bigger cartridge, but CA could lop that 1/2" off the Bulldog barrel and make it more pocketable.

Empty, my Bulldog weighs 19 ounces -- 4 ounces heavier than a 442 and 3 ounces lighter than a 640.

The DA is plenty heavy but surprisingly smooth and consistent -- every bit as good as my 442. My only complaint is with the trigger itself -- it's too short, the radius is too tight, and the edges are too sharp. CA should have just copied the 442 trigger.

The large rubber grips that come on the Bulldog are excellent -- they're comfortable and absorb recoil. But they're too big for front pocket carry. The "compact" grips are ugly and clunky, but small enough to allow front pocket carry. With the big grips, I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy. With the "compact" grips, it's considerably harder to control.

User Tag List