Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis: 2nd Amendment does not apply to Saudi Arabians

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis: 2nd Amendment does not apply to Saudi Arabians

Gov. Ron DeSantis called for a review of federal laws that allow foreign nationals to possess guns on U.S. soil. “That’s a federal loophole he took advantage of,” the governor said. “I’m a big supporter of the Second Amendment, but the Second Amendment applies so that we the American people can keep and bear arms. This does not apply to Saudi Arabians,” DeSantis said. “I always thought that foreign nationals, except for certain law enforcement, just were not allowed to purchase firearms. So, I think they should definitely look at that,” he said.
    https://www.pressherald.com/2019/12/...tation-attack/

Site Supporter
    “I’m a big supporter of the Second Amendment, but..."

Anytime someone says this you can bet that what follows is going to prove that they are not, in fact, "a big supporter of the Second Amendment".

Someone might want to tell the governor that his ignorance of the law is not folksy or relatable, he is supposed to be embarrassed for not knowing.

Why is it obvious that foreigners should not be able to have firearms? For instance, people come here to hunt all the time. Why should they be unable to do so?
    Last edited by Chemsoldier; 12-10-2019 at 06:19 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Or someone has been a green card holder in this country since coming here before 1950. Grew up here, went to school here, would have served in the military except for not passing the physical, worked here, paid taxes here, raised good citizens here. And happens to still have a gun they bought before the GCA '68.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Or someone has been a green card holder in this country since coming here before 1950. Grew up here, went to school here, would have served in the military except for not passing the physical, worked here, paid taxes here, raised good citizens here. And happens to still have a gun they bought before the GCA '68.
    I don't think there's any question about greencard holders, which are legal permanent residents/immigrants and not needing an exception to buy/own a gun like Mr. Arab Conquests down in Florida.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Gov. Ron DeSantis called for a review of federal laws that allow foreign nationals to possess guns on U.S. soil. “That’s a federal loophole he took advantage of,” the governor said. “I’m a big supporter of the Second Amendment, but the Second Amendment applies so that we the American people can keep and bear arms. This does not apply to Saudi Arabians,” DeSantis said. “I always thought that foreign nationals, except for certain law enforcement, just were not allowed to purchase firearms. So, I think they should definitely look at that,” he said.
    https://www.pressherald.com/2019/12/...tation-attack/
    This supposed to be a surprise? The Republicans would ban guns right alongside the Democrats if they had the support.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    Someone might want to tell the governor that his ignorance of the law is not folksy or relatable, he is supposed to be embarrassed for not knowing.

Why is it obvious that foreigners should not be able to have firearms? For instance, people come here to hunt all the time. Why should they be unable to do so?
    So citizens of a foreign country should have a United States Constitutional right to come here to hunt?

Site Supporter
    When Congress starts changing gun laws, beware. There are at least 100's of 1000's of guns floating around, and many are available with no questions asked. The Saudi passed his nation's screening before coming here. Most likely our nation conducted a security check. A law regardless of wording would not have prevented the shooting.

It’s an odd scenario. A foreign military service member here to attend training, and presumably living on a U.S. military base? I’d suppose that training exceeding 90 days would be some kind of Visa situation, but what was it, an H-3? Presumably it was a nonimmigrant visa, so he’d be a prohibited person under GCA ‘68? Hmph. I’m off the clock, but now I need to know.
    Last edited by TDA; 12-10-2019 at 10:50 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Green card holders or more properly termed legal permanent residents are treated the same as US citizens for the purposes of purchasing, acquiring, or possessing firearms and ammunition.

The issue at question is found in title 18 United States code section 922(y). It allows an alien admitted to the United States on a non-immigrant visa to possess, purchase, or acquire a firearm as long as they are In legal immigration status and possess a valid US hunting license.

While I can understand provisions for hunters and target shooter’s who are not US persons or US residents to import and possess their own firearms or even to borrow firearms while they are here but the provision allowing them to purchase firearms when they are not even a legal permanent resident has always struck me as a bit odd. I’m guessing it has primarily been intended to accommodate our neighbors from Canada and Mexico but the world has changed quite a bit in the last 20 years.

Even for non-immigrants here on longer term visas such as work or study visas lasting three or four years There is significant potential for mischief.

In general aliens, particularly aliens who are unlawfully present in the United States are prohibited from acquiring purchasing or possessing firearms or ammunition under the gun control act of 1968, specifically title 18 United States code section 922(g)(5). However, there is a hunting license exception to this which is what is found in section 922(y).
    Last edited by HCM; 12-10-2019 at 11:04 PM.

User Tag List