Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boring vs sexy hardware, a rant

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    You are indeed full of shit.

Like practically everything else in my life, guns are things I buy because I want to.

My plan is to continue to live my life in a manner that I enjoy. I'm about as interested in other people's opinions about what gun I should enjoy, as I am about other people's opinions about how cities could be more efficient if everyone took the bus and had rideshare programs for occasional as-necessary access to a beige 2010 Corolla.

I, on the other hand, will goof around with my Moto Guzzi goon bike, shoot everything from my old .32 Czech Skorpion to my S&W 4506, and if I'm not doing that I'm probably out on my boat drinking beer and fishing for chinook with an old sidecast Alvey.

I understand that nobody was telling me not to enjoy my life, I just am completely over the whole "live by tactical logic" thing. I think Greg Ellefritz has a great line about the whole point of being switched on and tac'd up is to let it free you to live adventurously; I am very much in favour of that concept. Both in terms of going places and doing things, and in enjoying the strangeness and fun of a vast variety of ostensibly pointless firearms. I guess I have it easy in that violent encounters are super rare here, but then they are fairly uncommon in most of the US outside of a few miserable cities, too. I just don't see all that many people dying or getting sent to prison because they chose a goofball EDC, so as far as I'm concerned this has to rank at pretty much the bottom of my list of concerns.

And I'm concerned about rabies, which kills like 0 out of a million people.

Student
    While I will always lean on the side of training and ammunition over nicer guns and more modifications/accessories, I do think about Tim Herron's origin story as an example that deliberate practice, dry and live, and the willingness to constantly learn and unlearn may be what trumps all hardware.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    Yes, we would all shoot glocks, have plastic stock tikkas, own colt 6920s, and remington 870Ps if we ONLY wanted what was MOST practical. BUT:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ion-of-the-Gun
    I read the OP and thought, "Somebody should really post a link to, "The Passion of the Gun"."

It's a great thread and a reminder to do what makes you happy.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Seven_Sicks_Two; 12-10-2019 at 04:07 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    You’re not full of shit, but if you don’t like revolvers in various shapes and sizes (and, given the thrust of your post, *especially* 5-shot compacts with proven ammo), then you don’t like America. Fact.
    If anything in the OP done by other people actually bothers the OP, then the OP is full of shit. Not because he's wrong, but because he wastes kittens on things that don't concern him.

If you don’t like revolvers in various shapes and sizes, you're full of shit.

I'm saying we invade Canada (54° 40' or Fight!) and bring back @misanthropist as an honorary American.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 12-10-2019 at 05:10 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I'm open to this.

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    I’m frustrated and I want to see if this resonates.

Guns are tools that make holes.
    I'm with you on the guns as tools thing. But it doesn't frustrate me when people are into them for other reasons.

I spent a few years down the 1911 rabbit hole, but sold them all after I came to distrust them in a self-defense role. It's a personal thing. I don't own guns that aren't reliable.

I know a bunch of guys who are really into expensive unicorn guns, made by shops with a long wait list. That's cool too.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-10-2019 at 05:42 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'm with you on the guns as tools thing. But it doesn't frustrate me when people are into them for other reasons.

I spent a few years down the 1911 rabbit hole, but sold them all after I came to distrust them in a self-defense role. It's a personal thing. I don't own guns that aren't reliable.

I know a bunch of guys who are really into expensive unicorn guns, made by shops with a long wait list. That's cool too.
    I carried a gov't issued series 70 for a couple of years. I loved that gun but it was very finicky and the agency would not pay the cost of the work needed to make it more reliable. I ended up switching to a Glock because I no longer trusted it on SRT entries and such.

That said, I wish they had given me the opportunity to buy it and have it worked on at my own expense...but it wasn't a possibility.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    Tell me if I’m full of shit.
    Some of your assumptions are full of shit. To wit, not everyone is hocking a kidney to buy a gun. Someone who spends $3K on a 1911 may spend 6x what you do on practice ammo, and 3x your training class budget.

If you're loading 9mm for $0.09, you won't save 50% on ammo by going to a .22.

The true test question of whether or not you're full of shit is: do you employ this principle in the rest of your life. Buy a new car when you could have bought a bus pass?
    You know what? I don't care if you're a hypocrite and buy a Lexus while ranting about people buying a 1911. You do you. It's still America, for a while anyway. Enjoy the fuck out of it while you can.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I own 1911's to make me happy. That's their purpose in this world. It just so happens they also make holes in things. Bonus

Site Supporter
    If it isn't fun, I have zero chance of getting my wife back into shooting, ensuring that my daughter stays interested, or of getting my son to stay interested once he is ready to learn.

Fun is practical.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 12-10-2019 at 05:58 PM.

User Tag List