Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Shooter (s) NJ

Small world and all, one of my buddies from college ended up going hardcore right wing anti-government militia type after he got out of the army and became disillusioned. Even went off the grid after a Mass state trooper and I (both buddies of his from college) talked to him about it, as he was starting to worry us.

Years later, he ends up being photographed working for the FBI (of all agencies) out of their Newark Field Office (of all places), responding to the Jersey City shootout.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Small world and all, one of my buddies from college ended up going hardcore right wing anti-government militia type after he got out of the army and became disillusioned. Even went off the grid after a Mass state trooper and I (both buddies of his from college) talked to him about it, as he was starting to worry us.

Years later, he ends up being photographed working for the FBI (of all agencies) out of their Newark Field Office (of all places), responding to the Jersey City shootout.
    I don't know whether that's a good thing or not...(But I'm making allowances based upon the fact that he was your friend.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I don't know whether that's a good thing or not...(But I'm making allowances based upon the fact that he was your friend.)
    FWIW, I've noticed a trend that a lot of us who were in the military get disillusioned and Montana Militia'ey when we get out of the military. Most people come around and stop being retards.

Which, I imagine he came out of his phase as well. It's just especially ironic since not only did he go into LE, but he chose the FBI....and in New Jersey.

FWIW, I've noticed a trend that a lot of us who were in the military get disillusioned and Montana Militia'ey when we get out of the military. Most people come around and stop being retards.

Which, I imagine he came out of his phase as well. It's just especially ironic since not only did he go into LE, but he chose the FBI....and in New Jersey.
    I get it. I survived the 60's and most everything you can imagine was associated with that decade, politically and socially. I wasn't going down the path for a career in L.E.
    Last edited by blues; 12-10-2019 at 08:06 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I get it. I survived the 60's and most everything you can imagine was associated with that decade, politically and socially. I wasn't going down the path for a career in L.E.

Strange times indeed. I remember some of it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    More sadness, and ugly crap caused by evil people.

I've experienced similar disillusionment just over the course of my ~12 years in so far. It's easy and understandable to be frustrated by some of the misguided thinking and poor leadership at times. Going 100% off-grid is way too much of a pain in the ass for me, though. I enjoy cars and air conditioning too much.

Eventually, at least in my case, you realize or remember that most of the people in these organizations give a shit and work really hard to do good things, and don't get any credit in the press because of the same reasons that Soldiers doing well or local LE doing well never makes the news, and if then, it's some page 10 1-paragraph attaboy, if that.

But after coming around, if you still want to make a difference, it makes sense to join up with an organization where you can make a difference, if you're eligible of course.

As for your friend 'choosing' New Jersey - the way I understand initial post-grad FBI assignments, it works the same way as PCS requests in the Army; Your three choices are removed from the option pool, and a sadistic admin clerk throws a dart at a map to figure out the rest.
    Last edited by JRB; 12-11-2019 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    As for your friend 'choosing' New Jersey - the way I understand initial post-grad FBI assignments, it works the same way as PCS requests in the Army; Your three choices are removed from the option pool, and a sadistic admin clerk throws a dart at a map to figure out the rest.
    Oh, stand the fuck by for a PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    More sadness, and ugly crap caused by evil people.

I've experienced similar disillusionment just over the course of my ~12 years in so far. It's easy and understandable to be frustrated by some of the misguided thinking and poor leadership at times. Going 100% off-grid is way too much of a pain in the ass for me, though. I enjoy cars and air conditioning too much.

Eventually, at least in my case, you realize or remember that most of the people in these organizations give a shit and work really hard to do good things, and don't get any credit in the press because of the same reasons that Soldiers doing well or local LE doing well never makes the news, and if then, it's some page 10 1-paragraph attaboy, if that.

But after coming around, if you still want to make a difference, it makes sense to join up with an organization where you can make a difference, if you're eligible of course.

One significant difference- you generally can’t quit the army on the spot when you get PCS orders to somewhere you don’t want to go or can’t afgord, like NYC.

So did the first LEO stumble onto something about to go down?

User Tag List