Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: And then there was one...

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    12 GA for 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells.

It also has the pressure compensation feature.
    I'm guessing it was a 26" before you shortened it?

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I'm guessing it was a 26" before you shortened it?

-Cory
    Correct!

12 GA for 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells.

It also has the pressure compensation feature.
    Is the pressure comp indicated on the barrel? Mine has a 21" rifle sighted Rem choke barrel. I like the looks of the shortened vent rib barrels and my long range plan was to get a pressure comp barrel and have it shortened and re-threaded. My current barrel won't run with lighter birdshot or reduced recoil defensive loads. I thought with a PC barrel I could run anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Is the pressure comp indicated on the barrel? Mine has a 21" rifle sighted Rem choke barrel. I like the looks of the shortened vent rib barrels and my long range plan was to get a pressure comp barrel and have it shortened and re-threaded. My current barrel won't run with lighter birdshot or reduced recoil defensive loads. I thought with a PC barrel I could run anything.
    Yes, the PC feature is located on the barrel and works like a pressure relief valve to prevent over-gassing. The 26" pressure-compensated barrel has larger gas ports and the valve will open with hotter loads and vent some of the gas. The 21" slug barrels are not pressure compensated and have small ports to work with full power loads. You are correct, that barrel won't allow functioning with reduced loads.

The shortened barrel measures 18-3/4 inches, cut to line up with a rib support and rethreaded to take the RemChokes. It cycles the Federal LE reduced-recoil slugs and 9-pellet 00 buck loads perfectly, as well as full power loads including Brenneke short field magnum slugs. Due to the reduced barrel length past the ports, it will no longer cycle light target loads or the lighter 8-pellet 00 buck loads, but that is of no consequence for its intended role. With the Federal LE reduced-recoil loads, it is both a pleasure and a lot of fun to shoot.

The stock was also shortened by 1-inch and now has a 13-inch LOP - this is as far as the stock can be shortened due to the recoil spring. The OAL of the entire shotgun as shown is 35 inches.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 12-16-2019 at 06:00 AM.

Yes, the PC feature is located on the barrel and works like a pressure relief valve to prevent over-gassing. The 26" pressure-compensated barrel has larger gas ports and the valve will open with hotter loads and vent some of the gas. The 21" slug barrels are not pressure compensated and have small ports to work with full power loads. You are correct, that barrel won't allow functioning with reduced loads.

The shortened barrel measures 18-3/4 inches, cut to line up with a rib support and rethreaded to take the RemChokes. It cycles the Federal LE reduced-recoil slugs and 9-pellet 00 buck loads perfectly, as well as full power loads including Brenneke short field magnum slugs. Due to the reduced barrel length past the ports, it will no longer cycle light target loads or the lighter 8-pellet 00 buck loads, but that is of no consequence for its intended role. With the Federal LE reduced-recoil loads, it is both a pleasure and a lot of fun to shoot.

The stock was also shortened by 1-inch and now has a 13-inch LOP - this is as far as the stock can be shortened due to the recoil spring. The OAL of the entire shotgun as shown is 35 inches.
    Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I tracked down a youth sized Speedfeed stock for mine. I have a similarly set up 870. I had Karl Sokol cut and re-thread the barrel. It turned out around 19".

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I had Karl Sokol cut and re-thread the barrel. It turned out around 19".
    I assume that was the 21" slug barrel?

There are a few things that you could do to make it cycle the reduced-recoil LE loads;

1. Open up the gas ports - some info here on sizes. It may take some experimentation, open them up just enough to cycle the loads you want to use.

2. Try using a barrel seal activator - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005555889. This may do the trick as it seals up the gas system tighter to run on less gas. Don't forget to remove it if you're going to use full power loads.

For ten bucks and no permanent mods to the gun, I'd give option #2 a try.

I assume that was the 21" slug barrel?

There are a few things that you could do to make it cycle the reduced-recoil LE loads;

1. Open up the gas ports - some info here on sizes. It may take some experimentation, open them up just enough to cycle the loads you want to use.

2. Try using a barrel seal activator - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005555889. This may do the trick as it seals up the gas system tighter to run on less gas. Don't forget to remove it if you're going to use full power loads.

For ten bucks and no permanent mods to the gun, I'd give option #2 a try.
    No, the 870 barrel I had cut was the 28" vent rib barrel it came with. The 1187 I was offered used a couple years ago at a couldn't pass up price. It came with a factory 21" rifle sighted Rem-choke barrel which I'm told is unusual.

User Tag List