Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And then there was one...

And then there was one...

As some of you may know, I've been dinking around with a couple of 1187s, one a shiny, wooden stocked Premier model that I shortened from both ends, the other an 1187P I purchased about seven years ago;

The Police model has been a focus of mine over the last few years, setting it up in a proper way for HD use and using it at a SG clinic this past summer, where it ran without a hitch;

As dad's love doing, my son has been expressing an interest in keeping a firearm for protection and I have spent time with him working the 1187P. He's a smart dude and has taken all of my advice about responsible use of firearms seriously, so I handed-down the P model to him. I plan on getting him up to NH next spring to take a SG class at the Sig Academy.

So now it's just the woody in my safe;

On one hand I want to set it up proper, like I did with the P model. On the other hand, I don't want to go all Tactical Timmy and ruin its Fuddy good looks. I have some ideas on how I'm going to proceed, but I'd be interested in your take on how you would set it up.

TIA for your thoughts!
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 12-10-2019 at 06:58 AM.

I like it as is. I have the Special Purpose model with the black stock and I think about getting wood furniture for it. Mine has a Mesa Tactical top rail/side saddle combo with a micro Aimpoint. It adds too much weight so I’ll probably drill and tap for just a top rail and add Velcro for spare ammo. If has a 21” Rem choke barrel. I’ve taken a turkey with it, taken it deer hunting, and taken it to combat shotgun training.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I'd be interested in your take on how you would set it up.
    I would add a light and nothing else. I'd also take that easy loader/lifter out. Big hands + easy loader + open bolt + grab at the receiver = the 11-87 version of M1 thumb.

FWIW I have an '80s 1100 with a RS barrel, extended tube, and a light.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I would add a light and nothing else. I'd also take that easy loader/lifter out. Big hands + easy loader + open bolt + grab at the receiver = the 11-87 version of M1 thumb.
    Noted and agreed - I prefer the release used on the 1187P (the original release on this gun was a tiny button).

I am assembling the parts for a WML, which should be both effective and aesthetically pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I like it as is...
    This. It looks incredible to me; clean and minimalist. In fact, I have an old Ted Williams pump gun that could use a facelift...

Add a light, if you must. What front sight is that?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    What front sight is that?
    A HiViz FO, same sight that came on the Rem 1100 competition SG.

Someone needs to figure out how to put a Magpul stock on an 11-87. Asking for a friend.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Someone needs to figure out how to put a Magpul stock on an 11-87. Asking for a friend.
    I don't think it's possible, the action spring extends into the stock.

I really like its looks, just like I like my S&W3000 (I call it Andre). I do think a shotgun needs a light and a sling.

Site Supporter
    Is there an easy way to switch to a barrel with rifle type sights, or to mount a red dot?

User Tag List