Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 or 20 Gauge for Defensive Slug Gun?

12 or 20 Gauge for Defensive Slug Gun?

I know 12 gauge is the traditional defensive shotgun caliber. For buckshot this makes sense, due to the increased payload of the 12 gauge. For a dedicated slug gun, does the 12 gauge still have an advantage? Looking at the data, it appears that 20 gauge slugs are lighter, but have higher velocities for higher overall muzzle energy.

I'm interested in a lower recoiling gun, plus the advantages of slug technology. Is there a reason to stick with 12 gauge?

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I know 12 gauge is the traditional defensive shotgun caliber. For buckshot this makes sense, due to the increased payload of the 12 gauge. For a dedicated slug gun, does the 12 gauge still have an advantage? Looking at the data, it appears that 20 gauge slugs are lighter, but have higher velocities for higher overall muzzle energy.

I'm interested in a lower recoiling gun, plus the advantages of slug technology. Is there a reason to stick with 12 gauge?
    This is a pretty specialized application, but one I am interested in, as I run a shotgun with slugs.

First, the ammo. The Brenneke 20 gauge slugs, last I calculated, have slightly better sectional density than the 12 gauge slugs, although both should work fine for poking a hole in something hard at close range.

In terms of shooting, Brenneke 12 gauge slugs in a lightweight shotgun that you would carry all day in the field, like a 14 inch Benelli M2, seriously kick. By comparison, the 20 gauge Brenneke slugs feel like a 16 inch AR10 in .308. In terms of carrying, the 20 gauge M2 is thinner and lighter than the 12 gauge.

Finally, there are logistics. It is easier to set up a 12 gauge, whether Benelli or Beretta, than getting the 20 gauge organized.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I recently got some 20 gauge turkey loads to have handy for a Win 37 single shot I have around. Those 3" magnums (all that were available at a LGS) kicked worse that my FCC buckshot in my 12 gauge 870. They were right up there with some 12 gauge slug loads.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

It also goes without saying that there is a much greater selection of 12 gauge slugs available, although in the case of our M2 20, it is a dedicated Brenneke launcher.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

From a deer hunting perspective, traditional Foster slugs out of my 20 gauge smoothbore always put them down on the ground.

Site Supporter
    A few years back @Mas made an excellent argument about the utility of the 20 vis the 12. He convinced me. I have not been able to convince the chain of command.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I recently got some 20 gauge turkey loads to have handy for a Win 37 single shot I have around. Those 3" magnums (all that were available at a LGS) kicked worse that my FCC buckshot in my 12 gauge 870. They were right up there with some 12 gauge slug loads.
    In a lightweight gun, heavy loads are a killer a both ends. Those old single shots work best with upland game loads, or target loads. For heavy loads, I'm looking at an autoloader or just plain heavier gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This is a pretty specialized application, but one I am interested in, as I run a shotgun with slugs.

First, the ammo. The Brenneke 20 gauge slugs, last I calculated, have slightly better sectional density than the 12 gauge slugs, although both should work fine for poking a hole in something hard at close range.

In terms of shooting, Brenneke 12 gauge slugs in a lightweight shotgun that you would carry all day in the field, like a 14 inch Benelli M2, seriously kick. By comparison, the 20 gauge Brenneke slugs feel like a 16 inch AR10 in .308. In terms of carrying, the 20 gauge M2 is thinner and lighter than the 12 gauge.

Finally, there are logistics. It is easier to set up a 12 gauge, whether Benelli or Beretta, than getting the 20 gauge organized.
    All great points. I especially appreciate your opinion on the perception of recoil with Brenneke slugs in a 20 gauge M2 versus 12 gauge. I also think the weight advantage of a smaller gun is worth it.

Who shortened the barrel on your Benelli? I saw that the shortest barrel you can get on a factory 20 gauge is 24 inches. Also, are you using a smooth bore or rifled barrel on your slug guns?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It also goes without saying that there is a much greater selection of 12 gauge slugs available, although in the case of our M2 20, it is a dedicated Brenneke launcher.
    While true, how much does it matter? There are a bunch of great 20 gauge options, and a lot of companies appear to be working on improving the technology. If I make the switch, I'd likely test out the top 5 or slugs, and go with the one that shot the best.

It looks like shotgun deer hunters are moving to 20 gauge slug guns as the technology improves in slugs. Looking at gunbroker, the price on 20 gauge slug guns is much higher than on the same model of 12 gauge guns.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    A few years back @Mas made an excellent argument about the utility of the 20 vis the 12. He convinced me. I have not been able to convince the chain of command.

pat
    If you're already fielding a fleet of guns, I don't think the pros of changing outweigh the infrastructure already in place. Why surplus the guns you already have, plus the shotgun mounts in the car, spares in inventory, and ammo in inventory just for a lighter weight gun? Plus there's the danger of putting a 20 gauge shell in a 12 gauge. The smaller shell slips into the bore, allowing another 12 gauge shell to chamber. The resulting bore obstruction destroys the gun, and possibly hurting the shooter. That makes transitioning to a new gun over time difficult.

User Tag List