Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Colt Tropper 70's

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    To Baldander's point about triggerpull weight being primarily affected by spring selection (albeit snarkily delivered...)

My limited experience with the Colt Trooper/Lawman genre revolvers leads me to think that most never get much past the "heavy" to appreciate what smoothness there is. I seem to recall that Colt's excelled in SA pulls, whereas S&Ws and Rugers were more oriented to more user-friendly DA use. It's also pretty rare to hear of a Ruger getting out of timing.
    Snark was in the spirit of defending My Little Pony. 😍

I had my wife try the Trooper and GP in dryfiring and asked her which trigger she preferred and she responded "Ruger," no hesitation.

Me: "But isn't the Colt smoother?"

"Well...yes, but it's so heavy!"

And it is heavy enough that I used to have finger ache after 50 rounds. Just dry-firing it on a regular basis has built up my hands enough that I can shoot it as much as I want now without any pain. Now, I wonder if my perception of increased smoothness is just due to increasing my hand strength.

(I could close a 200 lb hand weight before, it is REALLY HEAVY.)

On old Ruger vs new Ruger, I am not surprised to hear they have gone that they have gone to a lighter main spring, but I suspect they have improved on other aspects as well. The family GP-100 has shit polishing compared to new SP-101s and GPs I have seen recently. If the outside polish has improved that much, I have to wonder if Ruger is doing better finishing on the lockwork as well.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 02-12-2020 at 06:02 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

OK, I must admit the 6" underlug makes 125 grain Remington .357 SJHP brisk but pleasant. Far nicer than the Trooper with the same load.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List