Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 21 Gen 4 Lack of Reliability/Durability?

Vending Machine Operator
    The 21 is extremely popular with LE in my region. I’ve been involved with the legal end of 2 different OIS where it functioned as intended, in one case 8 rounds rapid fire with one hand while the officer was driving. That said, anecdotes are anecdotes, and I defer to anyone with replicable and controlled data points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    Haven't yet done this myself, but I've read that 45ACP is not only easier to reload (fewer steps). the brass can be safely reused over twenty times.
    The steps are the same. It’s s low pressure cartridge, relative to .40 & 9mm so you may get a few more reloads but WHO really wants to find the limit of reloading brass? [emoji102][emoji88][emoji2375]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@GlorifiedMailman-a few points:
    1) If you are past 2000 rounds on any gun, IMO, clean it if you are carrying it.
    2) A GLOCK Armorer should inspect yearly, and the recoil spring should be replaced at 5000 rounds(their recommendation if I recall correctly).
    3) Good ammo and mags are part of the function equation. Put crap in gun, get crappy results.

I’ve had a Gen2 21 since the early 1990’s. Shot matches with it and carried it. I have a Gen3; not much shooting, but I wouldn’t hesitate to carry it with vetted mags and factory ammo. I have been issued a Gen4 which went through 1000 rounds at a GUNSITE class. It was field stripped mid week and cleaned, lightly lubed-no issues. I had better eyes several years ago, and could ring a popper at 50 yards about 90% of the time. A miss would be on me and my trigger work.
    If your example works, drive on, reload ammo carefully and don’t worry so much about what is on the internet sometimes...
    No thing made by humans is perfect, and ALL brands have an issue from time to time

Haven't yet done this myself, but I've read that 45ACP is not only easier to reload (fewer steps). the brass can be safely reused over twenty times.
    Reloading 45 ACP is no different than reloading 9mm (or most other pistol cartridges for that matter). It's just a bigger piece of brass with a bigger bullet.

Brass life is dependent on lots of factors, but twenty times is pushing it in any caliber. Don't be stingy with brass unless you have no choice.

Yes, easily, it depends on what load you’re using but if you’re reasonable and don’t load them to +P velocities all the time. .45 brass will last a loooong time, It still takes the same number of steps to load, as say a 9mm, but it isn’t at all difficult. I usually load them until they split down the side, and then pitch that case. Somewhere around the house I’ve got a couple of cases from WWI, that I picked up somewhere, got mixed in with my brass, and probably got loaded at least twice before I caught them... I’ve been loading.45 since 1980, its one of my favorites to load..
    Last edited by ralph; 12-10-2019 at 05:09 PM.

I cannot comment on the Gen 4s, but the previous gens have been discussed here plenty. They run and run. I have put many 10s of thousands through mine and trust them completely. I went to John Shaw's Mid-South school one year and burned more than 1K a day with my issued Gen 3, only gave it more oil, never really cleaned it until the end and it ran like a top.

The mag issue was solved years ago, as has been discussed.

They work like a Gen 3 G17, only bigger.

Have seen a great many G21s in service with stellar reliability, some with impressive round counts.
    Many are now switched over to G17/G19, and more can use those.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Over 2200 rounds without cleaning and no stoppages/malfunctions/breakages has made me start to consider it as a contender for a serious use pistol.

I want to add something to this statement....

I am the main armorer for the dept and got called to the range twice for separate incidents where G21s were tied up. We have around 8 armorers total who help with 150 Glocks.

The first one, the trigger was seized up. I called BS and responded to the range. Absolutely..... the trigger was fwd and could not be pressed. I am a pretty big guy and could not get it to budge. I had to beat the trigger pin out. There was so much dried slugged built up on the trigger pin and grooves.... it seized the trigger. We have yearly inspections but this one had been passed over and had not been cleaned in some time. I cleaned the trigger pin, oiled the pistol properly and it ran fine.

The second time..... we had a one shot Glock. I went to the range and immediately noticed the G21 was unusually dry. In fact.... it look like the oil had been removed as the finish was very dry. I oiled the pistol properly and it ran fine.

2200 rounds w/o cleaning for a duty/defense gun is asking for trouble.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    Over 2200 rounds without cleaning and no stoppages/malfunctions/breakages has made me start to consider it as a contender for a serious use pistol.

I want to add something to this statement....

I am the main armorer for the dept and got called to the range twice for separate incidents where G21s were tied up. We have around 8 armorers total who help with 150 Glocks.

The first one, the trigger was seized up. I called BS and responded to the range. Absolutely..... the trigger was fwd and could not be pressed. I am a pretty big guy and could not get it to budge. I had to beat the trigger pin out. There was so much dried slugged built up on the trigger pin and grooves.... it seized the trigger. We have yearly inspections but this one had been passed over and had not been cleaned in some time. I cleaned the trigger pin, oiled the pistol properly and it ran fine.

The second time..... we had a one shot Glock. I went to the range and immediately noticed the G21 was unusually dry. In fact.... it look like the oil had been removed as the finish was very dry. I oiled the pistol properly and it ran fine.

2200 rounds w/o cleaning for a duty/defense gun is asking for trouble.
    Good point. Just to make clear, I have since cleaned the Glock 21 down to the small parts, reassembled it after, and verified function. I only went 2000+ rounds for the 2000 round test the late ToddG had posted. I wouldn't carry a gun with 2000 rounds and no cleaning. I typically keep it religiously clean but wanted to see if it could pass the 2k round test without any issues, which it did.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    @GlorifiedMailman-a few points:
    1) If you are past 2000 rounds on any gun, IMO, clean it if you are carrying it.
    2) A GLOCK Armorer should inspect yearly, and the recoil spring should be replaced at 5000 rounds(their recommendation if I recall correctly).
    3) Good ammo and mags are part of the function equation. Put crap in gun, get crappy results.

I’ve had a Gen2 21 since the early 1990’s. Shot matches with it and carried it. I have a Gen3; not much shooting, but I wouldn’t hesitate to carry it with vetted mags and factory ammo. I have been issued a Gen4 which went through 1000 rounds at a GUNSITE class. It was field stripped mid week and cleaned, lightly lubed-no issues. I had better eyes several years ago, and could ring a popper at 50 yards about 90% of the time. A miss would be on me and my trigger work.
    If your example works, drive on, reload ammo carefully and don’t worry so much about what is on the internet sometimes...
    No thing made by humans is perfect, and ALL brands have an issue from time to time
    Thank you for the input. I take it with all this that the G21 now has years of widespread use with great results.

User Tag List