Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 21 Gen 4 Lack of Reliability/Durability?

Glock 21 Gen 4 Lack of Reliability/Durability?

I've fallen in love with my Glock 21 Gen 4 and it's 14 shots of .45 Auto. Over 2200 rounds without cleaning and no stoppages/malfunctions/breakages has made me start to consider it as a contender for a serious use pistol.

However, upon reading about it more, I see where over the years the G21 has been poo-poo'd on by two high-profile individuals in particular, and two large police agencies. Portland PD and the LAPD withdrew their G21's from service because of malfunctions, and in Portland's case, some Kaboom incidents. This was in the 2005-2006 time period from what I can gather.

I've found posts in the same time period from our very own DocGKR in various places also talking about the G21 not being a durable and reliable service-grade pistol. However, I have seen where he's said in more recent years that the G21 Gen 4 is a good pistol, and he recommends it as one of the best choices if an LE agency/department is going to use a .45 Auto pistol (along with the M&P 45 and HK45).

I've also seen where Larry Vickers decried the G21 in the early 2000's as being "the worst gun Glock makes" and "a dog" after a non-scientific sand test.

It seems that even DocGKR has given the G21 Gen 4 the stamp of approval, but it's made me start to wonder about it. I thought I'd tap into the pool of experience shared by many here who may have dealt with the G21 professionally (particularly interested in the Gen 4). It's my understanding that certain SWAT teams have used it extensively, and it has been widely issued to many PD's over the years?

Is this a durable, reliable .45 Auto for the long haul? I would like the answer to be yes based on my very limited sample of the several I've owned over the years, but I'd like to hear the thoughts of those with perhaps more experience than I. I like the idea of a tough, reliable, proven 14-shot .45
    Last edited by GlorifiedMailman; 12-09-2019 at 11:01 PM.

I'm just not seeing the point in 2019 to a gun designed around a different caliber, shooting a 50% more expensive bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I'm just not seeing the point in 2019 to a gun designed around a different caliber, shooting a 50% more expensive bullet.
    This isn't really about caliber so much as the pistol's durability and reliability itself irrespective of all other factors. I know that 9mm will serve just as well with far less expense.

Last I heard, Anchorage PD issued the 21. It’s been a while though.

At any rate, you might enjoy this:

http://www.survival-spot.com/surviva...-torture-test/
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by GlorifiedMailman View Post
    I know that 9mm will serve just as well with far less expense.
    Can I ask what's the point then?

I always assumed that because the large frame Glock started life as a 10mm and was then rechambered for the relatively easy going .45 that they should be bomb proof. Never really cared enough to look into beyond that.

Haven't yet done this myself, but I've read that 45ACP is not only easier to reload (fewer steps). the brass can be safely reused over twenty times.

We have been in G21 (Gen 2) since 1992.

My first issued G21 was replaced at 17 years.

Originally we had issues with old squared nose Hydra-shoks not feeding but it miraculously it fixed itself.

We were part of the group that had to send the slides in for 15 degree cuts for new extractors since we were breaking them.

We upgraded around 2011 with SF and later Gen 4.

I always got complaints that the G21 was too big..... so me and the SWAT Commander were the driving force to slowly switch out to G17/19. It was a 5 year program and I was part of the last to be issued. I just got my Gen G19 Ameriglo.

Two die hards are buying their 2011 issued G21s to continue to carry on duty.

My original AFN710 G21 had alot of rounds through the tube in 17 years. It had a plus trigger bar to pass inspection.

Just make sure to get your G21 inspected annually. I have seen fails to fire due to ammo quality. The tight wad captain back then would buy commercial bagged reloads, Wolff and other off brands that would not go bang. Never had that issue with quality FMJ like Federal or Speer.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Can I ask what's the point then?
    Pooty got some of it.

I recently inherited a large amount of .45 Auto ammunition and reloading supplies. An ungodly amount of factory-loaded rounds, and enough reloading components to last me years of a relatively brisk shooting schedule. The Glock 21 Gen 4 is the only pistol I have that can shoot it at the moment, and so far it's the most "tested" .45 I've ever had with over 4k rounds without a single stoppage, malfunction, or breakage. However, I prefer to look at not only how my personal experience with a small sample size performs, but also how a pistol model performs in large issued numbers to determine whether it's truly proven to be durable and reliable or not.

Another factor is that, after months of shooting my G21 Gen 4 side by side with several examples of G17's and G19's, I find it noticeably easier to shoot more accurately with the 21. I don't know why this is considering I have many thousands of more rounds through 9mm Glocks than the 21, but there's no arguing that my hits are better despite the larger recoil. Maybe this will change in the future, but as of now this is the way things are.

SW CQB 45: Thank you for the feedback. That's good to hear.
    Last edited by GlorifiedMailman; 12-10-2019 at 12:02 AM.

I've owned four Glock 21's (one that I've had continuously and three that were backups that I've been talked into selling by friends). I've had LOTS of experience with the gun. Contrary to what some have said I have found it to be an extremely reliable platform.

LAPD had issues with light strikes with some ammo. Glock's answer was an updated trigger bar (marked 4256-1, replacing 4256) which has a little longer cruciform to give the striker more oomph. In a properly maintained guns, and from reliable sources, I haven't heard about any other issues.

I personally switched from a Glock 21 to a 1911 (for no other reason than because I could) and then to a Glock 17 (I was a K9 handler than wanted the most capacity in the lightest gun to shoot one handed).

Is the Gen2 G21 a good reliable gun? Yes
    Is the Gen3 G21 a good reliable gun? Yes
    Is the Gen4 G21 a good reliable gun? Yes

Will I buy a Gen5 G21 if/when they make one? You bet.

User Tag List