Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead Farm Run n' Gun - 2019

Lead Farm Run n' Gun - 2019

My very first Run n' Gun was the Oklahoma Run n' Gun at Pawnee, Oklahoma in the Summer of 2014. I fell in love with the sport and the people I met at these events. I'd been participating in some form of competitive shooting since the mid 80's never quite satisfied with any discipline that I tried. Some were better than others, but the rule books of some of these reminded me of the law books I had in law school! You practically needed to be a lawyer to understand them and none of which had much application to the real world. They were complex gun games. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I was more interested in something that had more application to the real world and wouldn't instill any bad habits in my shooting protocols.

Then along came Run n' Guns with a practical premise and very few rules. Shoot what you want, as long as you can carry it, don't point your gun at anything that can't be shot and just basically follow Cooper's 4 rules. Some ranges still adhere to a "180" rule and few other gun game rules, but for the most part, rules are very simple and don't require a law degree to understand. I suppose there still may be room for some "gaming", but nothing like anything you see at a 3 Gun match or a USPSA match.

One other aspect that sets RnG apart from other disciplines is that, other than a trophy or a plaque, prizes are by random drawing (if there are prizes at all). While some may say that this limits the quality of the competitors (I don't believe this), it does limit the number of "jersey boys" and all the drama that comes with those types of competitors.

For RnGers, things are getting better all the time. Initially, there were only about 3 events in the whole country, but as our sport grows, so does the number of events. If you're serious, you can do 10-12 quality events in a year (I think I did 8 this year). One of my favorite events is the Lead Farm Run n' Gun in Versailles, Missouri. Matt is now putting on 2 RnGs a year and I think he's adding a night one as well.

Matt has an excellent facility and has devised a unique way of getting a full 5K on only 200 or so acres. While the stages are along a linear road, the competitor, upon finishing a stage, runs a finger shaped loop following colored trail markers finishing this loop at the next stage. Pretty ingenious and the terrain is such that you rarely see another competitor while running these loops.

This past event was my 3rd RnG at the Lead Farm (and my 24th overall). Matt continues to work at improving his facility and matches. This past year, he built a 20 room "Bunkhouse" right on his range property further enhancing the experience. You can stay right on the range and be fully rested for the start of the RnG. He and his family make the Lead Farm RnGs one of the most enjoyable experiences in all RnG. And Matt's event are truly family events. Matt's wife, Tammy, and his daughters pitch in and help run the match. You won't find better hosts or nicer facility.

The Lead Farm RnG combines a higher round count, challenging stages and tough trail running to make it one of my favorites. Each stage is designed to test the shooters skills and the trail will make the most fit runner arrive at a stage welcoming the brief respite. Each stage was a combination of pistol and rifle with both steel and paper targets. Target distance ranged out to near 50 yards for pistol and a whopping 572 yards for rifle. Matt's longer range rifle targets sport Magneto Speed's Target Hit Indicators. These hit indicators attach to the target and flash a red light when hit. This eliminates some guess work as it makes it much easier for the RO and the shooter to detect hits. No longer does a shooter have to wait for an RO to indicate a hit before moving on to the next target. This hit indicator gives you instant feedback (or the lack thereof in the event you're struggling on that target).

And speaking of struggling with a target, I'm convinced that Matt has invented some sort of "force field" that he will randomly install on a target and activate at the most inopportune time. This force field, when activated, prevents hits on the target by directing your bullet around the target. On Stage 3 (I think), there was 400 yard rifle target. Most of the stages required 2 hits on non-falling steel targets. On this particular stage, the 400 yard target was the last target for me to engage, I got a hit first shot I was thinking "great, got one hit, now just use the same hold and get the 2nd hit". But no, Matt activated the "force field" and despite my best efforts, I spent a considerable amount of time (and ammo) getting my second hit. I know most shooters have experienced this phenomena and it's very frustrating, I'm sure it's not my shooting, and I'm convinced that some match directors have access to this device.

To keep folks honest, Matt puts out "check points" along the trail. At these check points, there is an ammo can filled with some item the shooter must have on his possession when arriving at the next stage or suffer a significant penalty. In this case, the item was a colored pipe cleaner. And while the check points were marked, you had to be paying attention while on the trail to see them. More than one competitor missed a check point and either suffered the penalty or ran back to find it.

Matt finds a way to make his already tough trail just a little more difficult by incorporating a few obstacles. The infamous culvert and bridge crawl (although not running full of ice cold rainwater this time), some dirt berm hurdles and a near vertical creek bank climb (with a rope assist) help make the trail just a little more interesting and challenging.

When you finally reach the last stage (which is the farthest from the finish line), you'll note that it's at the lowest point on the property, and requires a steep hill climb to get out of. I'm sure this is by design, so if you're thinking you'll just sprint this last half mile or so to the finish line, you might have second thoughts.

Overall, I can't recommend the Lead Farm enough. Matt's events attract some tremendous shooters and athletes and this event was no different. I saw some guys in the Trooper division (carrying an extra 40 pounds of weight) actually sprint that last half mile. (Oh, to be 25 again!)

Congratulations to all the competitors and to the winners and high placers. For the record, I placed 7th out of 27 competitors in the 5K minimalist division. The round count was 65 pistol and 75 rifle. I shot 73 pistol rounds and 122 rifle rounds (that damned force field caused my high rifle round expenditure!). Matt hosts a variety of matches at his facility so if you're in the area and are considering Run n' Gun, 3 gun or USPSA matches, check out the Lead Farm. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Finally, a huge thanks to my wife, Laura, whose support for all these years have made it possible to do all this fun stuff.

Name:  20191207_112515.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  20191207_112229 - Copy.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  66.5 KB

Name:  20191207_091323.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  96.5 KB

Name:  20191207_093820.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  71.9 KB

Last edited by Nick710; 12-09-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for taking the time to post this writeup!

I'd really like to try at least one of these once I get back.
    For a first timer, would you have any advice/recommendations or mistakes to avoid when it comes to gear setup, weapon selection, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to post this writeup!

I'd really like to try at least one of these once I get back.
    For a first timer, would you have any advice/recommendations or mistakes to avoid when it comes to gear setup, weapon selection, etc?
    It's really very simple, as far as gear and guns go. Unlike some of the other competitions, you don't need specialized firearms and gear. A basic AR15 with good sights and sling (I prefer a low powered variable optic (LPVO), but some guys do very well with dots), a good pistol, such as a Glock 17, a quality holster with good retention, and a way to carry your pistol and rifle mags, that's about it. And, unlike most other competitions, Run n' Gun is not rules driven. The basic rule can be summed up thusly: "Don't point your gun at anything that doesn't need shot, or an RO or yourself". There is no "180 rule" (with only a couple exceptions), only a couple divisions (mostly dealing with the weight you carry) and no age grouping.

I've seen guys with a quality AR with a LPVO and a Glock 17 win these events.

These events are getting more and more popular and are springing up all around the country.

If you're looking for prizes, looks somewhere else. If there is a prize table, it's usually by random drawing. Some event give little trophies or plaques for the top 3 placers. I think this is a good thing as it will generally eliminate all the "jersey boys" and the attendant drama that goes with them.

If you're on facebook, look up and join the Run and Gun discussion page. Lots of info there on matches, gear etc.

Great write up!

I think you and I met at the Legion run n gun in September. You RO'd the long distance stage, right? I ended up with the fastest time on that one.

RNG events are a great way to get out of the normal IDPA/USPSA/3 Gun routine. My favorite part is the "If you want to carry it you can shoot it" mentality of not having a bunch of categories or classes. I also appreciate the number of matches having blind stages.

For anyone on the fence I'd say just go do an event with whatever gear you have today. I ran my first one with a 20" Colt A2 rifle and cheapo China/airsoft chest rig I ordered on Amazon. Really the only pieces of gear I'd recommend investing in are a good quick adjust 2 point sling and a quality retention holster like an ALS or GLS.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick710 View Post
    It's really very simple, as far as gear and guns go. Unlike some of the other competitions, you don't need specialized firearms and gear. A basic AR15 with good sights and sling (I prefer a low powered variable optic (LPVO), but some guys do very well with dots), a good pistol, such as a Glock 17, a quality holster with good retention, and a way to carry your pistol and rifle mags, that's about it. And, unlike most other competitions, Run n' Gun is not rules driven. The basic rule can be summed up thusly: "Don't point your gun at anything that doesn't need shot, or an RO or yourself". There is no "180 rule" (with only a couple exceptions), only a couple divisions (mostly dealing with the weight you carry) and no age grouping.

I've seen guys with a quality AR with a LPVO and a Glock 17 win these events.

These events are getting more and more popular and are springing up all around the country.

If you're looking for prizes, looks somewhere else. If there is a prize table, it's usually by random drawing. Some event give little trophies or plaques for the top 3 placers. I think this is a good thing as it will generally eliminate all the "jersey boys" and the attendant drama that goes with them.

If you're on facebook, look up and join the Run and Gun discussion page. Lots of info there on matches, gear etc.
    The lack of 'jersey boys' and legalese rules is 90%+ of what I find appealing about these competitions!

Being a Soldier and currently mobilized, I'm used to quite a bit more gear and these competitions are absolutely spartan in comparison to our usual 'battle rattle'. I'm looking forward to the chance to try it all for myself!

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    ....For anyone on the fence I'd say just go do an event with whatever gear you have today. I ran my first one with a 20" Colt A2 rifle and cheapo China/airsoft chest rig I ordered on Amazon. Really the only pieces of gear I'd recommend investing in are a good quick adjust 2 point sling and a quality retention holster like an ALS or GLS.
    That is exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for. Thank you!
    Last edited by JRB; 12-11-2019 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Great write up!

I think you and I met at the Legion run n gun in September. You RO'd the long distance stage, right? I ended up with the fastest time on that one.

I remember you Jerry, and you're smoking run on that stage. Your response here is spot on. I hope to run in to you again soon.

Thanks for the write up. Seems like great fun and a good test of endurance and shooting.

Range limitations will keep this from growing, Im afraid, which is too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Thanks for the write up. Seems like great fun and a good test of endurance and shooting.

Range limitations will keep this from growing, Im afraid, which is too bad.
    You might be surprised BigD, these events are starting to spring up all over. Went from about 3 events 8 years ago to over 20 some now. There are some pretty ingenious match directors out there coming up with some really neat ways to run one of these events.

Site Supporter
    Reading your thread title I can't help but think of Robert Downey Jr's character in Tropic Thunder!

Sounds like a great event though. I may have to see if I can find one in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Reading your thread title I can't help but think of Robert Downey Jr's character in Tropic Thunder!

Sounds like a great event though. I may have to see if I can find one in my area.
    RD62 . . . you're in luck, there are several Run n' Gun in your area. I know the Rockcastle Shooting Center near Lexington, KY hosts a couple a year, there is one in North Carolina called the Gun Run and plans for one in Virginia.

https://thegunrun.us/

Join the Run and Gun discussion page on Facebook. Lots of info there.
    Last edited by Nick710; 12-12-2019 at 09:56 AM.

User Tag List