Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Horowitz DOJ report is out!

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    I can't account for their tactics. It's fairly well documented that at least some in the FBI, in some key positions, were hostile towards a Trump presidency.

We are told the 17 discrepancies in the FISA warrant application were "mistakes." Given the attitude of some of the investigators, I'm inclined to believe these "mistakes" were quite intentional.

Maybe I should ask Comey what their intent was. He seems to be on the cutting edge of this mind reading stuff.
    I don't believe in the deep state, or don't want to, or am not yet convinced of its existence but as someone who has conducted complex multi-year investigations, including FISA matters, I am hard pressed to buy into making multiple mistakes in reports, let alone documents submitted to the courts.

It is troubling, at the very least, and I have a hard time believing that (multiple) errors, (including those of omission), can be overlooked not only by experienced and otherwise competent agents, but by the supervisory staff when it deals with matters of such delicacy and import.

I never felt that winning in court was worth perjuring oneself for and I loathed those who did so. To me, these "errors" may rise to the same level although I am reluctant to make that judgment.

Honest errors happen, but as Ian Fleming so aptly said:
    Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    From the NY Post:

The former FBI lawyer accused of altering crucial documents in the FBI’s investigation into the Trump campaign is the same official who praised “the Resistance” in an anti-Trump text message in 2016, according to reports.

Kevin Clinesmith, who worked for ousted FBI agent Peter Strzok in the Hillary Clinton email investigation and the Russia probe, made significant additions to an email that was included in an application to renew a surveillance order against Trump aide Carter Page, The New York Times reported.

Clinesmith, identified as “FBI Attorney 2,” also appeared in a 2018 Inspector General’s report as the author of a string of texts lamenting Trump’s election, according to the Daily Caller.

“I am so stressed about what I could have done differently,” he wrote Nov. 9, hours after Trump’s victory. “Viva la Resistance!” he texted on Nov. 22.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Site Supporter
    If there was no bias against Trump, what reason would there be to commit the "discrepancies"?
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Because they didn't have anything.
    Oh to leak anonymously, all they needed was to plant the juicy details "multiple Trump campaign staff are under investigation for possible collusion with Russia".

Popodopolis and Page. I'm not sure if the timing worked out right to include Manafort passing internal campaign polling to Russians or any of Mike Flynn's stuff.

But no.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

@Bart Carter
    @EPF
    @blues
    @NETim

This is what I'm studying for a spell. This is a strong pro-Trump author so it ought to be "as bad as it gets". The omissions mostly in matters that either were exculpatory for Page or might have been adverse for Steele. Mostly anyway. I'm yet to read it closely.

But on first pass, is that's it? From a team of counterintelligence investigators (it was not a criminal investigation correct?) leaning in to get the probable cause established to let them surveil Carter Page. Who was never charged with anything unlike the Russian agents and a few others on unrelated finance or perjury issues.

On first glance I can see why the IG report concluded as it did. Sloppy or manipulative in violation of rules/standards/etc but wouldn't have really changed anything.

https://johnsolomonreports.com/the-c...a-fisa-report/
    Last edited by JHC; 12-11-2019 at 05:04 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I can think of at least two reasons, other than wanting to sabotage the election or the Trump Administration, why the multiple errors/omissions/lies happened. As noted, the most damaging information was not leaked until after the election, so other motives are plausible.

1) Personnel in the organization were trying to protect themselves. Based on the Horowitz IG report, I believe Bruce Ohr believed he was doing his duty by contacting the FBI about Steele but was concerned about his wife's role with Fusion GPS. As a contractor with a doctorate in Russian Studies, she probably earned more per year than her husband's SES salary. Jeopardizing future income was probably a concern.

2) Personnel were trying to protect the FBI. Once the path was started, no one wanted to admit the investigation was flawed from the beginning as it would look bad for the FBI and the personnel who started the FISA process. Of course, the cover up, like always, is worse than the original issue.

These are possibilities. I am not sure what to believe. I look forward to the US Attorney's report as it will provide more information, but I do not expect it will answer all of the questions about motives.

When no one is believable, who do you choose to believe?

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I can think of at least two reasons, other than wanting to sabotage the election or the Trump Administration, why the multiple errors/omissions/lies happened. As noted, the most damaging information was not leaked until after the election, so other motives are plausible.

1) Personnel in the organization were trying to protect themselves. Based on the Horowitz IG report, I believe Bruce Ohr believed he was doing his duty by contacting the FBI about Steele but was concerned about his wife's role with Fusion GPS. As a contractor with a doctorate in Russian Studies, she probably earned more per year than her husband's SES salary. Jeopardizing future income was probably a concern.

2) Personnel were trying to protect the FBI. Once the path was started, no one wanted to admit the investigation was flawed from the beginning as it would look bad for the FBI and the personnel who started the FISA process. Of course, the cover up, like always, is worse than the original issue.

These are possibilities. I am not sure what to believe. I look forward to the US Attorney's report as it will provide more information, but I do not expect it will answer all of the questions about motives.
    Minor point of order, the investigation was deliberately revealed in testimony before Congress in early 2017. Deliberately as in by joint FBI and DOJ decision

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    When no one is believable, who do you choose to believe?
    Occam?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Occam?
    Maybe...but there's a reason why criminal trials don't rely upon a preponderance of the evidence as opposed to proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Besides, I feel like anyone associated with a razor is most likely coercing a decision.

User Tag List