Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fox Pepper Spray / OC

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I found that after a year or two, new unused ones would just dribble. For curiosity, I tested them. Other brands sprayed after a much longer time. I suppose one should trade out periodically, we do now. Carrying a Sabre, recently.
    Maybe it was a more recent batch, but I carried and used it with years with great results and no issues.
    That being said, I’d have no qualms about substituting it with the good Sabre Red.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post

Pom is the new favored brand.
    I've read about entirely too many instances of the POM cases cracking for me to switch from Sabre Red.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post908600

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    I've read about entirely too many instances of the POM cases cracking for me to switch from Sabre Red.

Lame. I was going to buy the 6 pack for Xmas.

I love Sabre Red. The last guy I sprayed dropped like I’d hit him with an axe handle.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post

I've been carrying the same unit since early August with no signs of the plastic cracking or breaking. Some of the pants I clip it to are thick (ie Duluth Firehose work pants).

That's clipping on and removal at least once nearly every day.

I am not concerned about it any longer. I'll probably pick up a few other units for my wife and kids now that I've had lengthy experience with mine.

I'll also note that Pom is what John Murphy is using in his pepper spray class.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Smarter and more experienced minds than mine have suggested Sabre Red (not the gel) as the goto pepper spray.
    Crap, I just bought some Sabre Red gel.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    We have close to a dozen POM units among friends and family members, with some being carried for the better part of this last year. The only issues we've had are that some of the bottom sleeves (that slide over the actual cannister and where the clips are attached) have come loose and a couple have resulted in lost units.
    A small bit of glue seems to prevent this.

Just a heads up for anyone who plans to purchase the POM trainers, they do not come as a full unit. You have to reuse the sleeve from a live unit or wrap them with tape to fully simulate deploying from a pocket or keychain.

I carry the POM product when there might extra scrutiny, but generally prefer the larger SabreRed unit.
    Last edited by Crashpad; 12-10-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Site Supporter
    I like the POM for the form factor of the case and clip, and the fact that it is a flip-top. The reports of fragility don't exactly inspire confidence though.

It looks like Sabre has a similar flip-top (albeit without the handy clip):
    https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...nd-finger-grip

Are those cases holding up any better? Is there a better option in that "mini-MK-6" niche?

How are the clips in the Sabre MK-6 units? Is it small enough to fit in a pocket?

Is this the one I'm after?
    https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...oz-stream-mk-6

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Crap, I just bought some Sabre Red gel.
    We recently switched from Saber Red fog to stream and gel is a personal purchase option.

Compared to the fog the stream and the gel both suck. The fog didn’t have much range and got on everyone, it had tremendous effect on the respiratory system. While not it’s intended use, fogging a suspect in the mouth and nose was way more effective than any OC in the eyes.

The gel isn’t anything like the old foam/gel crap. The old stuff was like shaving cream and if you didn’t get it in the suspect’s eyes it was useless. The new stuff has is more like cooking oil in consistency. The stream is a little more forgiving as far as accuracy, it’s not that different. If you hit a suspect in the hair line with gel it’ll have minimal effect, spray will work a little (and just a little) better. Across the eyebrows they are the same. Across the eyes they’re the same.

The real difference will be dogs. Dogs don’t overreact and act like pussies when the get sprayed, (any person that gets dropped by OC is a pussy, it’s not the OC). So there’s no reason to try spray a moving dog directly in the face or muzzle, whatever you want to call. A lot of spray in an X pattern over and around the dog puts up a wall of irritant, that usually works as a deterrent. Gel is no good for that.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Our jail deputies go through a fair amount of Sabre Red. Works as intended.

User Tag List