Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Military adopts HK SFP9 (VP9)

Site Supporter

Japanese Military adopts HK SFP9 (VP9)

The Japanese Military has announced they are replacing their aging folded slide SIG P220s with the HK SFP9. The SFP9 is HK’s designation for the VP9 outside the U.S.. the selection was made after trials including the HK, The Glock 17 and the Beretta APX.

They are also apparently replacing their 5.56 Howa model 89s with an updated Howa 5.56 rifle that looks a lot like the HK 433.

Source: https://www.mod.go.jp/j/press/news/2019/12/06b.html

Name:  1FF61721-D9BE-4EA5-B56D-1F94C84345EA.jpg
Views: 2101
Size:  30.5 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 12-09-2019 at 03:16 AM.

Site Supporter
    Million Yen question: Paddle or button? 😉

Hammertime
    Is this like Toyota using the a BMW as the base for their new Supra

Link not helpful. I was able to get it in English, but do you have a more specific one?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

Link not helpful. I was able to get it in English, but do you have a more specific one?
    Ooof. That's a sore subject for me as a Supra guy that has worked on entirely too many 335, 235i, 135, M4, etc sorts of late model turbo BMW's before leaving the performance industry. BMW is emphatically NOT HK when it comes to reliable and sensible design.

The Japanese are surprisingly reasonable and pragmatic in how they choose small arms, though. The S&W 360J is on my 'short list' of guns-I-don't-need-but-want-anyway for that reason.

I'd love to see the adoption of this new Howa-made HK433 translate into Howa 64 and Howa 89 parts kits, but I believe they have a national policy against selling de-milled weapon systems even as chopped up parts.

I have a few Howa rifles. One I use as a precision benchrest rifle. It's a good company.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    I wonder if they will use one of the safety equipped versions.

Too bad Japan will not sell us used P220s in 9mm.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

I think so. I can see Japan wanting to maintain domestic production of their primary military rifle for strategic reasons.

No other sources yet.

I'm very curious as to why they choose the SFP/VP over the Glock. Both are great guns; I have and heavily use both, but from an organizational maintenance standpoint, Glock pretty much trumps the competition for ease of disassembly, parts replacements and reassembly, and resources required (time and component costs).

From a a strictly shooting standpoint, good as the Glock is, the SFP/VP I believe intrinsically shoots a bit more accurately (but that's a difference more in degree not kind) and is is easier to individually beneficially configure to an individual shooter.

Perhaps JSDF has some highly motivated and skilled unit and higher echelon armorers....or the HKs based on testing are simply forecast to last longer/break less.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'm very curious as to why they choose the SFP/VP over the Glock. Both are great guns; I have and heavily use both, but from an organizational maintenance standpoint, Glock pretty much trumps the competition for ease of disassembly, parts replacements and reassembly, and resources required (time and component costs).

From a a strictly shooting standpoint, good as the Glock is, the SFP/VP I believe intrinsically shoots a bit more accurately (but that's a difference more in degree not kind) and is is easier to individually beneficially configure to an individual shooter.

Perhaps JSDF has some highly motivated and skilled unit and higher echelon armorers....or the HKs based on testing are simply forecast to last longer/break less.

Best, Jon
    The Glock 17 resonates with Americans because it is a tool but is not really in keeping with the Japanese cultural ideas of quality and tools as functional art.

Site Supporter
    Also could have had something to do with domestic production/licensing. I will suspect the Howa will just be a Japanese licensed HK433. Maybe Glock didn't want to license production to Howa, or set up a domestic factory.

User Tag List