Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Diagnostic Instructors

I want to put these two thoughts out:

- Instructors diagnose things that they believe are crucial or most crucial in shooting well on a level they consider high. They may have different emphases and different focal points. Comparing different instructors might be fruitless. You may have to either buy into one guy's teaching, or sample multiples.

- People can generally concentrate on one thing. You may want head to toe to trigger finger, and they may be telling you just one thing.

With that out, nobody has impressed me as much in that regard as Ben Stoeger in seeing a big picture, a small stuff and things in my shooting that I didn't even notice myself.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    I have been fortunate enough to take classes from many of the “big name” instructors. As has been stated above, some instructors seem to focus more on specific points that they have observed to be most important. Another thing to keep in mind is that in classes that are focused on specific skills (shooting from concealment, low light, vehicles, etc.) the instructor is less likely to deviate from the curriculum to address nuances for students that are otherwise shooting safely and within the accuracy requirements for the course of fire.

Having said that, I have taken several classes with John McPhee, and his approach is a breakdown of individual components for each shooter in the class. The added benefit to his training is the video analysis to show you exactly what you are doing as opposed to what you think you are doing. He is also very hands on with the students so you also get a feel for what he feels is correct as well. I don’t have enough exposure to some of the names already mentioned to call him the “best” but he certainly focuses on diagnostics more than any other instructor I have taken classes from.

Since he was mentioned earlier, I am registered for a Langdon class later in 2020. He has been on my list for a while based on numerous recommendations and his participation here in this forum. Another instructor who comes well regarded in this regard is DeFoor, but his classes sell out quickly and I have not been able to get into one yet.
    Polite Professional

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    - People can generally concentrate on one thing. You may want head to toe to trigger finger, and they may be telling you just one thing.
    To me that's one of the big advantages of McPhee's class. You get the head to toe to trigger finger critique and you get the video with the football-commentator-drawings on it, then you can work through the one thing at a time over a long period of time by going back to the video. I have no idea how many times I've watched my video and worked my way through all the various things I was doing sub-par. And I was doing a lot of things sub-par.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    To me that's one of the big advantages of McPhee's class. You get the head to toe to trigger finger critique and you get the video with the football-commentator-drawings on it, then you can work through the one thing at a time over a long period of time by going back to the video. I have no idea how many times I've watched my video and worked my way through all the various things I was doing sub-par. And I was doing a lot of things sub-par.
    Another great part is that you see what you are actually doing as opposed to what you think you are doing. Several times I felt that my mechanics had been in a certain place, but watching the video I realized that while I was close, I was not where I thought I was at various points in my presentation.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No experience with Langdon or Stoeger but Scott Jedlinski’s diagnostic game is strong. He is on the forum here as @AsianJedi

IME the three core firearms instructor skills are shooting, teaching and diagnostics. People who can do all three, especially the latter are few and far between.
    Thank you for the kind words my friend!
    Last edited by AsianJedi; 12-13-2019 at 05:08 PM.
    FAST Coin Owner #15
    Paper M in Carry Optics #A96020
    Point 1 Tactics Elite Standards Coin #4

I'm a mildly paced training ho. During the course of this year, 2019, I have never heard a trainer praised as much as Mr. Jedlinski. However, at this time, I don't have any interest in RDS. We'll see how that changes as the eyesight continues to age decline.

happy shooting, dv
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

User Tag List