Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P 15-22

M&P 15-22

Since my escape to the free world, I've been able to get back to teaching my kids shooting and firearms handling. The only .22 I have in the stable currently is my M&P 15-22, and, in our last couple of outings, we've been spending increasingly large amounts of times dealing with malfunctions - mainly rounds going straight up at 90 degrees when stripping off the magazine. Due to the design of the mag, this requires stripping the magazine, and wrestling the deformed case out of the front of the mag - not a great situation even without new shooters being in the mix.

Since I'm having these problems across all seven of my magazines, I'm wondering a couple of things: First, is there an aftermarket magazine option that might improve reliability? If not, has anyone had luck using different brands or types of ammo? I've been using big box bulk pack stuff, but not sure if that's the root cause.

If the consensus is this is just the cost of doing business with this platform, would the 10-22 be a more reliable choice?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Since my escape to the free world, I've been able to get back to teaching my kids shooting and firearms handling. The only .22 I have in the stable currently is my M&P 15-22, and, in our last couple of outings, we've been spending increasingly large amounts of times dealing with malfunctions - mainly rounds going straight up at 90 degrees when stripping off the magazine. Due to the design of the mag, this requires stripping the magazine, and wrestling the deformed case out of the front of the mag - not a great situation even without new shooters being in the mix.

Since I'm having these problems across all seven of my magazines, I'm wondering a couple of things: First, is there an aftermarket magazine option that might improve reliability? If not, has anyone had luck using different brands or types of ammo? I've been using big box bulk pack stuff, but not sure if that's the root cause.

If the consensus is this is just the cost of doing business with this platform, would the 10-22 be a more reliable choice?
    Didn't they recently have some sort of recall or part replacement? I remember seeing something on the S&W forum about this. Don't know if it's an issue that is related to your situation.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Hammertime
    I would call S&W.

I have a 15-22 and it is incredibly reliable with the stock mags and all sorts of ammo. Not picky at all.

I believe this is the matter I was referring to:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...-safety-alert/

Worth checking in any case.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Your rifle is defective. Have S&W repair or replace it. Mine is utterly reliable with bulk ammo. I only ever have to clear dud cartridges.

And yes, the 10-22 is very reliable also. My 2004 example needed probably 500 rounds to get broken in but it runs like a top now.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I believe this is the matter I was referring to:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...-safety-alert/

Worth checking in any case.
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp15-22...r-safety-alert Probably not the culprit, but worth checking none-the-less!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I would call S&W.

I have a 15-22 and it is incredibly reliable with the stock mags and all sorts of ammo. Not picky at all.
    This ^^^. I have two of them and they run, and run, and run, and run, and run.........

Never had this problem with the stock see-thru magazines or the plinker magazine

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I think I posted in the Appleseed thread a few weeks ago with a link to a public statement from Appleseed management about why the 15-22 isn't allowed at their events. Apparently, it boils down to guns having issues when dirty. Rimfires get dirty. Different symptom, but something to keep in mind if you're going to run one.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

After the first range trip that started showing this issue, I detail cleaned the rifle and relubed, but it's still showing the problem. I guess I'll call S&W and see what they have to say.

User Tag List