Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M&P 15-22

Possibly stupid question. When you load the mags are you pulling the button down and dumping rounds in. Or are you loading one at a time ensuring that each rounds rim is ahead of the round below?
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This ^^^. I have two of them and they run, and run, and run, and run, and run.........
    My 15-22 has also been impeccably reliable. I suggest a call to S&W.

Ours have been very reliable given the limitations of the cartridge. I would contact Horace and Daniel and see if they'll fix it.

Don't tell anyone, but I enjoy shooting the 15-22s with my kids more than my grown up rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Don't tell anyone, but I enjoy shooting the 15-22s with my kids more than my grown up rifles.
    It's my most fun gun to shoot for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    It's my most fun gun to shoot for sure.
    100% agree. I always bring it with me to the range. Never had a problem with it.

It's also not OEM
    If not me, then who?

Quote Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
    100% agree. I always bring it with me to the range. Never had a problem with it.
    I wish S&W would make a pistol version again.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 12-13-2019 at 12:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Since my escape to the free world, I've been able to get back to teaching my kids shooting and firearms handling. The only .22 I have in the stable currently is my M&P 15-22, and, in our last couple of outings, we've been spending increasingly large amounts of times dealing with malfunctions - mainly rounds going straight up at 90 degrees when stripping off the magazine. Due to the design of the mag, this requires stripping the magazine, and wrestling the deformed case out of the front of the mag - not a great situation even without new shooters being in the mix.

Since I'm having these problems across all seven of my magazines, I'm wondering a couple of things: First, is there an aftermarket magazine option that might improve reliability? If not, has anyone had luck using different brands or types of ammo? I've been using big box bulk pack stuff, but not sure if that's the root cause.

If the consensus is this is just the cost of doing business with this platform, would the 10-22 be a more reliable choice?
    The M&P 15 22 mag is one of it's best features. They are so good there is a mag well conversion by Boonie packer to allow use og the M&P 15-22 mags with CMMG / Blackdog style conversions.

The only really functional after market part is an improved firing pin by Volquarsen.

Try some mini mags or the yellow and red box Aguila super extra which are cheaper, Mexican knock off mini mags.

Site Supporter
    The Augila Super Extra has a muzzle velocity of 1255 fps with a copper plated round nosed bullet. I've found they work pretty well.

CCI Mini-Mags, and the CCI .22 AR Tactical ammo at 1200 fps are also good choices.

My S&W 15-22 (that I bought in 2009 to celebrate paying off the charge cards) is very reliable and was NOT ammo sensitive at all. I did find that if I was shooting a load of standard velocity with a lead bullet, I had to start with a clean and well lubed gun or it would jam up once it got dirty.

User Tag List