Page 94 of 191 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Has anyone here done a LED conversion with their headlights?

Is it worth doing?

What brand did you purchase?

Any pitfalls?

I知 thinking about doin them on both my 4Runner and Mustang.

Thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post

Is it worth doing?

Any pitfalls?

Thanks
    I'm also interested in this for a 4runner.

watched this video this morning on my bicycle ride to nowhere. Thought of this thread.

Also, saw what appeared to be an entire car hauler full of shrouded Corvettes on way to work. Thought of snapping a pic, thought better of it at 85mph in SE FL traffic.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter

Is it worth doing?

Any pitfalls?

Thanks
    No experience personally with an led conversion. But the ones I have seen varied in quality. The things I have always worried about the led痴 being used always seemed to me to bright. Like they are gonna cut out the color spectrum due to their lighting ability. Think rain, fog or snow. So that without a differential color fog light running your actually reducing your ability to see. But then again my experience with driving them has only been on limited occasions In non inclement weather.

Site Supporter
    The one thing I can tell you is, the cheap LED conversion headlights on ebay are cheap because they suck. A properly designed kit should give you more output where you need it with a proper cutoff so you don't blind other drivers. Your best bet is probably to do some reading on the applicable fora and see what has worked out well for people in your specific vehicle and what vendor(s) people have had good experiences with.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Thanks regarding the LED conversions. Based on what my Car Guru has recommended, my experience with aftermarket lighting, and supported by your comments - I値l just plan on going with a quality high output halogen replacement. It seems there is more to doing a good conversion right than simply changing the bulbs. Something that makes sense when considering the world of tactical lights.

While there are some aftermarket mods that can improve a vehicle, just like with guns, most are crap and only serve to cheapen your car. As my car is a semi-collectible, I have been very very careful about adding non stock mods.

With the 4Runner the best bet may be a quality replacement headlamp assembly.

Site Supporter
    Thanks regarding the LED conversions. Based on what my Car Guru has recommended, my experience with aftermarket lighting, and supported by your comments - I値l just plan on going with a quality high output halogen replacement. It seems there is more to doing a good conversion right than simply changing the bulbs. Something that makes sense when considering the world of tactical lights.

While there are some aftermarket mods that can improve a vehicle, just like with guns, most are crap and only serve to cheapen your car. As my car is a semi-collectible, I have been very very careful about adding non stock mods.

With the 4Runner the best bet may be a quality replacement headlamp assembly.
    Oh yea. Go halogen. Don稚 go hid conversion. I have seen that personally with melted lenses. Constantly blown ballasts. Anything in electrical in a car as requiring modifications from stock I try to research fully. But the lighting aspect always seemed to me the stupidest payoff for profit. And I suck at electrical.

Probably not what you're asking, but I replaced the halogen H11 bulbs in my prius with cheap (~$40) "beamtech" LED bulbs off Amazon last September. The standard H11's were plenty bright enough for me, but for whatever reason H11s are only rated to last about 200 hours. As I have a grey car and primarily drive on undivided 2-lane highways, I run with my headlights on all the time which meant I was replacing standard H11 bulbs about twice a year. So far these LED bulbs have made it 5 months and, since they're supposed to last 20,000 hours, I shouldn't have to replace them for over 10 years...

Not gonna Lie, I知 liking the look of this thing!

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/n...ficial-reveal/
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Not gonna Lie, I知 liking the look of this thing!

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/n...ficial-reveal/

Looks cool. After all this time, Nissan built a C6 Corvette.

User Tag List