Page 92 of 191 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've also noticed that cars that suck to work on are more likely to need a lot of work over their lifetimes that cars that are easy to work on will never need.
    Precisely the reason I kept my 98 Cobra and didn’t buy that Ferrari 308 I was having Magnum PI fantasies about. The car was a well known MX queen coupled by the fact the dealer was not a Ferrari dealer and it’s MX records were not available, and all of a sudden my Rome Michigan All American girl looked better than that hot Italian.

I'd rather work on a 308 than anything post 360. When step #1 of damn near every service is "split the car in half" you know you're in for a bad time.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Respectfully, disagree. Strongly. Possibly the only dirtier industry is HVAC repair, and I've met locksmiths from both professions who got into locksmithing specifically because they couldn't stand how corrupt their prior respective industry was. I mean, it also helps that locksmithing is less of a customer service shitshow as you detailed, no doubt.

Honest shops are far and few between, and it's one of the reasons I bought a P-Car because the independent shops in my area are 1 malicious job away from closing for good, which keeps them honest. I'm not just talking about shops that create fake shit to bill people for, but also shops who say they'll do something the proper way but then do it the cheap way, super common, like needing new head gaskets on a Subaru engine and being too fucking lazy to take out the engine and do it proper, but still charging for such....or replacing a customer's engine on warranty, but taking advantage of the customer not being lawyer-level specific and charging them for a new engine while swapping their busted engine with a junkyard buy for a fraction of the cost. I'm using those as examples because I've personally witnessed both from the perspective as a customer as well as working at a shop.

You shouldn't be taking this personally if it doesn't apply to you, because it's no secret that the auto repair industry is shady as fuck and there's zero reason you should be trying to defend the integrity of said industry when it's a self-evident truth. Where I worked in healthcare was wildly fucking corrupt, too. We used to make reports about billing fraud and they'd go into the abyss, never to be heard about again....I'm not going to get offended if someone brings up those practices either, nor would I hide how a % of a given PD's unit is on the payroll for organized crime.
    I guess we've had somewhat different experiences in the industry. I've certainly seen everything you're talking about, but it's been an occasional thing from crappy shops, shops working on vehicles out of their lane, or shade tree mechanics. But I have something in common with those locksmiths you're talking about - I left the industry when the performance shop I was working for started doubling down on poor management practices, and I couldn't stand it. The GM of the shop and I butted heads all the time. It was basically a reality show waiting for a camera crew. But when he started robbing Peter to pay Paul with customer build funds I just couldn't stay there. That same shop got sued into oblivion a few years later for breach of contract, and over a vehicle that was still being built when I was there, no less.

From all my friends in the industry, I can tell you that a lot of independent shops are exactly where those P-car indie shops are - all it takes is one botched job to ruin workflow and put them out of business. So they do good work and take care of their customers when things go wrong. One of the things I do miss about that industry is seeing how happy folks were when I'd make things right. No BS, no exceptions, just make it right. It's sad that so many people see that as such a rare thing but it wasn't rare for me.

The primary point of all this really is that cars that need more services and more complicated services provide are more expensive to maintain, and when there's much more expense there's more opportunity for fraud, so ultimately most consumers probably care about how easy it is to work on their cars, even if they don't articulate it or understand it quite that way.

On medical billing - my Father's been working on medical billing and medical databases for basically his whole career, starting in the late 70's using a now-ancient programming language once known as 'MUMPS'. The stories I've heard would astonish most folks but would probably not surprise you. But that's enough P-F Thread Drift(tm) for the car thread.

Speaking of cars - you mentioned getting a P-car. Congrats! Also.... where's the pics??!!

Anyone who has worked with their hands for more than 30 minutes should understand that there's two factors to manual labor:
    1) how long it takes
    2) how hard it takes

(there's actually others, like do I have the right tool, do I need help, etc. but those are also kind of subsets of the first two, and often more personal than the first two)

Just because an oil change on car A takes an hour and also takes an hour on car B (even assuming the shop charge/profit and hourly employee pay are the same) doesn't mean someone is going to want to do both equally. if car B also means contortions, bashed knuckles, fragile lift points on the car, etc. then people are just not going to like doing that oil change. Does that matter to the buyer? IDK, that's your issue for you to figure out. But it doesn't change the fact that it matters to the guy doing the work.

As a consumer, the reason it matters to me is that car B may have less qualified people available, and also more prone to getting pushed to the back of the line, and also the potential to have less care applied as frustration and annoyance levels increase.

Factor in a labor economy that's currently being controlled by the minions, and all of that just gets worse. A mechanic that flat refused to work on car B 3 years ago might have been fired. Today, he'll probably get a raise just for showing up to work sober*, even if he's 2 hours late and leaves an hour early.

*which isn't a knock on mechanics. we're having the same problem in construction, from "skilled labor" to "ditch diggers" to execs.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

At the other end of the performance spectrum….

There’s a new Model A block with modern features: pressurized oiling, 5 main bearings, etc. https://burtzblock.com/block-kit/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    At the other end of the performance spectrum….

There’s a new Model A block with modern features: pressurized oiling, 5 main bearings, etc. https://burtzblock.com/block-kit/
    With those problems solved.... it's ready for modern engine management and a turbo! (yes, I'm insane)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    With those problems solved.... it's ready for modern engine management and a turbo! (yes, I'm insane)
    I don't own a Model A, and I don't really want a Model A, but that's literally the first thing I thought when I clicked through the link and...I kind of want a Model A now.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I don't own a Model A, and I don't really want a Model A, but that's literally the first thing I thought when I clicked through the link and...I kind of want a Model A now.
    I saw an article about the Burtz block in the Experimental Aircraft Association magazine. There are a few old homebuilt airplane designs (Peitenpol, for one)that used a Model A engine because it was cheap and the torque curve lets it swing a big prop without a gearbox. You need that because it’s not exactly lightweight….

They’re also working on a “high-compression” 6.5:1 head. Zowie!

Gotta love gearheads being gearheads. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    SCoT blower!

One of the things on my “lottery list” is a Track-T/1920s Indy style build. That motor would be aces! The cat’s pajamas! 23 skidoo!

I wouldn’t say the average consumer doesn’t care how hard it is to work on. I’d say they’re unaware/uninformed until the estimate shows up. They don’t know what they don’t know to use an overused phrase.

You know who really doesn’t GAF about how hard something is to work on? Marketing, accounting and engineering. I’ve seen it too many times across 25 years and 3 different industries.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    You know who really doesn’t GAF about how hard something is to work on? Marketing, accounting and engineering. I’ve seen it too many times across 25 years and 3 different industries.
    A couple of decades ago I worked in the auto industry and had some opportunities to work with prototype vehicles. I was told that one of the ways engine compartments were laid out was by who got their mock-up parts in the buck first. Which is how on one car there was an oil line running over the exhaust manifold. Or where you had to drop the front subframe to swap the alternator….

But those guys had their own problems. Some exec would come down and say “I think the nose should be shorter”, and the engineers would have to cram all the bits into a smaller space.

I’d like to think engine compartment design is better now with solid modeling and 3D printing, but it still comes down to priorities. Serviceability will probably never win out over cost to manufacture.

User Tag List